Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

From my understanding right now going by Football Alberta nothing is happening. I received an email from my Bantam Head Coach that they're still waiting on guidance from AHS and the City. For Bantam we might possibly be looking at a late fall short season, but there are a lot of factors that could effect that including the economic situation and its effect on enrollment.

I have my doubts that we see football, especially if there's any kind of second wave.

Just a sidenote that the CBFA did do a $5000 donation to the foodbank which is pretty cool.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #22
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks, Captain. I kind of figured that was the case. My son is pretty bummed, missed his final year of Spring football and looks like he will miss his final year of high school ball too.

Good on the CBFA, that is a great cause.
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm sorry to hear that with your son, this was going to be my first year of Spring Coaching, and I was excited about being a QB Coach, the Colts had a good returner, and during the winter camps I was pretty excited about the new QB's coming into camp. They were typical rookies, in that they were pretty Raw.

So I was bummed when the season was cancelled, I had also coached a lot of the new players in Bantam and was excited to see them.

Between the Job Hunt, and no coaching, and some other things, its just been a terrible last few months.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #24
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm sorry to hear that with your son, this was going to be my first year of Spring Coaching, and I was excited about being a QB Coach, the Colts had a good returner, and during the winter camps I was pretty excited about the new QB's coming into camp. They were typical rookies, in that they were pretty Raw.

So I was bummed when the season was cancelled, I had also coached a lot of the new players in Bantam and was excited to see them.

Between the Job Hunt, and no coaching, and some other things, its just been a terrible last few months.
I'm curious: what's the typical run versus pass ratio for bantam teams these days? High school? I used to play QB in HS but that was years and years ago. We ran the ball probably 85% of the time.

Nowadays it seems like a lot of teams are employing spread and/or RPO schemes, which means a lot passing than ever before. Is this trickling down to the bantam levels?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:23 PM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At Bantam your probably looking at about 30/70 pass run, because of the weather. A lot of teams try to run an option with a backside end read, but they try to cram in QB's that aren't good for it.

For me when I got a first year starting QB, I was probably 70/30 run pass, but when I went back and looked at my breakdown in my two years where I had second year QB's that could make base reads and throws, I was usually about 70/30 pass run.

In high school I saw a pretty much 50/50 balance .

In amateur football, its mostly a toss or sweep league because the running backs are usually the fastest guy on the team and can out run pursuit. I talk to a lot of coaches about their philosopies, and I always get, I run a spread offense. And I walk away and watch their offense and its not a spread offense. Mainly because they don't attack outside of the Hash Marks because their QB's can't make the throw, so while it might look like a spread its still an inside the field offense.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #26
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been coaching high school football for nearly 10 years now. What I’ve noticed is the best athlete on the team now is most often the QB where was 10 years ago it was usually the RB. QB options and more passes have become a huge part of the high school game and agree that it’s probably close to a 50/50 split, although some of the schools do like to just line up and run it down your throat

And for what it’s worth I’d be shocked if we had a season this fall
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I’ve been coaching high school football for nearly 10 years now. What I’ve noticed is the best athlete on the team now is most often the QB where was 10 years ago it was usually the RB. QB options and more passes have become a huge part of the high school game and agree that it’s probably close to a 50/50 split, although some of the schools do like to just line up and run it down your throat

And for what it’s worth I’d be shocked if we had a season this fall

Honestly last year, I was outright challenged by my headcoach, in my new organization (Colts). I was so used to having really good personal that we had worked on development wise, that I was used to a bully playbook. It was simple but cool, We would run it down your throat, throw it down the field and it was up to the defense to stop you.

When I went to the Colts, we didn't have the same type of players, and for the first few games we were really challenged. After the first game that we tied up on the last play of the game, with a deep pass, we got squashed and lost our starting QB, we had to change things.

So I was sitting there trying to figure it out and my headcoach really challenged me, it wasn't a fun conversation, he wasn't yelling, but the jist of it was that I was pretty arrogant and protective of my offensive system.

So we had a week between games, we looked at what we had, which was no real game breaking blazing receivers, a first year running back, that was fast but wasn't really a tackle breaker, and a couple of other kids that were bigger tight end types, not super fast, could block ok, one of them had good hands the other really didn't. So we came up with the three back set, and did a lot of misdirection movement, and by the end of the year we had a pretty credible offense and though I didn't like the three back set it worked really well in the first game and we put up 3 TD's and ate a ton of time on the clock and really started building up our QB who had never been a QB before.

We kept adding all week, and we added what we called a spread6 formation and playbook, based around a 2 back set out of pistol, but we would be able to call on the fly whether the running backs would protect, go flats, or go seams (We were literally running a 6 pack, which was awesome for me.

I was really looking forward to this year and the development of the younger players, but yeah I agree, we probably might not have a season

1) How many parents are going to be interested in a cold weather season?
2) How many parents right now can afford sports with unemployment and job certainty.

I'm kinda bummed, it would have been nice to have something to do while going through this job search.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Had our first practice of the season last night.

There's no guarantee of a season, but I think its great to get the kids out of their houses and give them something to do.

It's certainly a new normal out there with the check in requirements and being aware of distance. Also my hands still smell like bleach as we had to scrub down the practice equipment and footballs after practice.

You can tell that a lot of these kids have been pretty much couch riding for the past few months.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There will probably be a decision on whether we go ahead with a season by the first week of August, but with cases rising again, and with at least one team opting out, I'm at 30 70 in my belief on a season.

So far turnout's been decent, we've gotten about 25 out, remember we're in vacation season, and there are plenty of people that have gone away.

Contact is pretty much at a minimum which means that things like safe contact teaching has been reduced to using bags. No scrimmaging so far or insertion of offense or defenses.

My hands now perma smell of hand sanitizer and bleach.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Still no guarantee of a season, the big date is Aug 1st for a decision on that and what would probably be a shortened season in Sept.

Overall we're pretty pessimistic that the season is going to happen, one team has already dropped out.

We've had a drop in players at practice, mainly because of parents taking their kids out of town on vacation, but we've had some injuries even without hitting.

I'm not sure that its worthwhile to push for a season, or to just put a halt to it and reconvene next summer.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched this and I'm disgusted by it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1288580937530441729

I take a lot of pride in being a coach, even thought there's sometimes a parental suspicion about how we deal with their kids and their injuries, and the whole driving thing and the stereotype of angry yelling selfish coaches.

But this above, despicable.

Some of these coaches that think they're doing it to move up levels, or compile some win loss record, or gain the reputation of a hard a$$ed coach who just builds winners or shapes kids up are stuck in the dark ages.

You can drive a kid without guilting them over anything
We can coach by teaching not belittling or berating
We as coaches have to remember we're responsible for a players well being, and the old days of rub the dirt in it and get back there are over, especially with head blows.
Everytime I see that I comment "There's one more kid that's not going to sign up"

Old 07-31-2020, 08:53 AM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Pins and needles as the CBFA is meeting on Saturday to decide if a season is a go or no go.

If its a no go I will probably have to think seriously about whether to continue coaching or not, a over full year off is tough, and the next opportunity would be spring ball.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looks like we're going to continue forward with no guarantees of a season.

The league is going to provide face shields for the players, but working on tackling and blocking is pretty much out as is heavy scrimmaging. They'll evaluate going forward if there are going to be a limited schedule in Sept or Oct (brrrrr)

We might not have a season, but we might if things clear up be able to eventually do a exhibition style game against another program.

Because of numbers, we're going to probably work on a 9v9 game plan (what do I know about 9v9?)

Old 01-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #34
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looks like they're going to try to do a Spring Football season this year. Teams will be split into two cohorts a junior team and a senior team and try to play a 12v12 season.

Practicing looks like they are going to try to start in Feb, of course that could all change.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #35
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great thread man.

My Dad is very involved in the Wildcats program and has been for about 20+ years.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nixon45 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 08:56 PM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have a lot of respect for the Wildcats program and how they do things.

Just got told that I'm probably going to be bumped to the Offensive Coordinator role from Quarter backs coach for the Junior Cohort for the Colts. So I'm now OCing at the Bantam and Spring level. Just waiting for my call from DD.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #37
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So from the Spring Football perspective we just learned that there will be no games this season. It wasn't unexpected.

Since being bought on board at this level, I've literally had no games and very few practices.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:05 PM   #38
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So for those that are interested the Calgary Jamboree is happening on Saturday at Shouldice. First 12 man football at the bantam and peewee level in a couple of years.

Hopefully I haven't forgetten everything about playcalling in a game.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:46 AM   #39
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So for those that are interested the Calgary Jamboree is happening on Saturday at Shouldice. First 12 man football at the bantam and peewee level in a couple of years.

Hopefully I haven't forgetten everything about playcalling in a game.

It's going to be an even bigger gong show this year with Encana and the west parking currently torn up.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yup, the games start at 9 or 10, I'm showing up at about 6, I'll just walk to Humpty's for breakfast.