Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #3601
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I tried The Ranch. The laugh track was brutal so I gave up.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #3602
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I see The Big Short is available now. I've been meaning to watch it.

I finally watched Too Big to Fail on the weekend and I'm in the mood for more.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #3603
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
That's one of those shows that everyone around me says is great, but you just know is probably bad.
I'm a huge fan of Sam Elliott so I gave it a try and firmly believe that Sam Elliott's character and actor really dont want to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I see The Big Short is available now. I've been meaning to watch it.

I finally watched Too Big to Fail on the weekend and I'm in the mood for more.
Oh dude...one of my favourite little Rabbit-holes. The Big Short was phenomenal. Steve Carell and Ryan Gosling were brilliant but everyone does a great job.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #3604
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I can’t wait for this...

Not sure how I feel about this one.

What made the skits so funny was the awkwardness created by the illusion that they were real interviews and Galifianakis' character was legit. A scripted movie would kill the illusion.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #3605
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Chapelle was great.

But the laugh track was too much imo. Seems to be the new comedy thing tho.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:42 PM   #3606
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Laugh track? I didn't notice that, just seemed like a real audience laughing. Like they added more laughing on top of the audience laughing?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #3607
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Laugh track? I didn't notice that, just seemed like a real audience laughing. Like they added more laughing on top of the audience laughing?
You can tell when the laughing is on every break in words. And when the camera flashes to the audience and next to no one is laughing but the track is loud. It seems pretty standard in comedy these days.

It was still great though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 12:02 AM   #3608
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Screwball from the recommendation here. Really good (though I don't think better than Icarus). Having the kids reenact the whole thing was humorous and creative, and actually prevents you getting totally mad at the whole thing. So many people involved were shady. ARod is just a weirdo and him and his handlers should have been punished. I'm not sure how he now has such a chummy relationship with MLB after that, but MLB certainly was looking after themselves too, in all this.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #3609
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Really like the Chapelle special after not liking the last 2 he’s released on Netflix.

Lots of comparisons to Carlin and I agree. He speaks about current social issues and makes thought provoking points that are then intentionally exaggerated and intended to be over the top and offensive.

As Carlin explained that essentially what comedy is. Taking something we all recognize or relate to and then adding a ridiculous exaggeration to the punchline. It’s never meant to be taken literally but has to have at least some truth to it or the audience won’t relate and won’t find it funny. His bit about abortion and child support is the perfect example of this.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #3610
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I liked it as well. The shotgun bit felt like a classic in the making.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #3611
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Went on a stand-up binge after watching Chapelles latest special, and somehow I missed Patton Oswalt's latest special Annihilation from 2017, the first one he did after his wife died. That is one of the funniest and most emotional specials I've ever watched, so real and raw and it displays Oswalts talent like nothing else. I'd have to put it in my top 5 stand-up specials of all time, right up there with Pryor and Carlin
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #3612
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You can tell when the laughing is on every break in words. And when the camera flashes to the audience and next to no one is laughing but the track is loud. It seems pretty standard in comedy these days.

It was still great though.
That's not a laugh track. That's just cutting in crowd shots. That's what's common in comedy specials, not laugh tracks.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #3613
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, that makes more sense. These mega comedians doing specials wouldn't need laugh tracks. They're huge comedians, everyone's going to laugh at their shows the whole way through no matter what, and knowing they're at a filming ramps that desire to laugh and look good for their favourite comedian to 10.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #3614
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, that makes more sense. These mega comedians doing specials wouldn't need laugh tracks. They're huge comedians, everyone's going to laugh at their shows the whole way through no matter what, and knowing they're at a filming ramps that desire to laugh and look good for their favourite comedian to 10.

I think if you ever go to a live taping of something, you get kind of caught up in things. I saw Letterman and there was really nothing funny about it, but the warm up guy was like, "if you guys in the audience make some noise and are enthusiastic, maybe you'll see yourselves on TV". Otherwise, it's not really entertaining or funny. I kind of regret wasting my time for that.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #3615
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I decided to watch Ash and the Evil Dead. I'm still not sure yet, there are some outright moments of brilliance in the first season, but I don't know if I like it or not.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #3616
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think if you ever go to a live taping of something, you get kind of caught up in things. I saw Letterman and there was really nothing funny about it, but the warm up guy was like, "if you guys in the audience make some noise and are enthusiastic, maybe you'll see yourselves on TV". Otherwise, it's not really entertaining or funny. I kind of regret wasting my time for that.

I remember going to a late night improv show where only about 1/8 of the theater filled up, but the performers got everyone to bunch up in the front, telling us "You'll laugh harder if the person next to you is laughing too."

I heard back in the Jon Stewart days of the Daily Show, they'd whip the crowd up into a drunken frenzy before unleashing them on the studio and the Daily Show audience was noticeably more enthusiastic than any other show on TV (they probably still do this, but I haven't watched in a long while).
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:46 AM   #3617
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This has potential.

I tried to watch this yesterday. I really like Sacha but I have a preconceived notion of what to expect from him and a serious drama is not part of that.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #3618
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I decided to watch Ash and the Evil Dead. I'm still not sure yet, there are some outright moments of brilliance in the first season, but I don't know if I like it or not.
The 2nd and 3rd seasons are much better. Thought it was a pretty great show overall as it's unabashedly campy and over the top.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #3619
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Might have to re-watch the series again before watching this....
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #3620
jayswin

Exp:

New Bill Burr special is hilarious so far. Excellent strategy (and I do think it was strategy) to go to England and present his material about America as spoken to non Americans. Came off very well and fresh compared to a lot of comedians doing it in the US.

He also comes off different because unlike a lot of comedians he was one who had long believed and ranted about America going the way it was and so he sees Trump as a symptom of a ****ed up democracy rather than the problem and barely ever mentions him. Where as most comedians take on Trump in the same tired ways. Again, just a fresh perspective when you watch a lot of comedy.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-10-2019 at 06:11 PM.