Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #81
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

haha, and her IQ is about 100 points higher than the traitor they chose.
but them rust belt coal miners.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1120501126670049280
Old 04-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #82
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Popular vote is irrelevant...who won? It's like losing a hockey game but saying "we had more shots"

[...]
It is relevant when trying to grasp what the american public does or does not consider electable. If Hillary wasn't so incredibly toxic she probably would have run away with the election. That alone does a lot to challenge the concept that only a 'straight, white, christian, family man" can be president (plus that whole "electing a black guy twice" thing).

I think a person of any race/gender/etc. could get the office as long as they find a way to resonate with the american people.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #83
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think some people are confusing their personal views with the ability to win a general election in the USA

Trump was the better candidate because he won

/
Old 04-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #84
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think some people are confusing their personal views with the ability to win a general election in the USA

/

Okay then, how do you come to terms with Hillary winning the popular vote and Obama winning the election twice with the idea that the american public is only willing to vote for certain types of people for president.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #85
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
It is relevant when trying to grasp what the american public does or does not consider electable. If Hillary wasn't so incredibly toxic she probably would have run away with the election. That alone does a lot to challenge the concept that only a 'straight, white, christian, family man" can be president (plus that whole "electing a black guy twice" thing).

I think a person of any race/gender/etc. could get the office as long as they find a way to resonate with the american people.
I agree it is possible...I think it makes things harder, for me this isn't the election.

I mean there have been 45 presidents...43 straight christian white guys, One straight christian black guy, and one straight christian orange guy

and for the 1 millionth time popular vote is irrelevant...the two biggest states are voting democrat, any democratic candidate will win the popular vote it doesn't mean they did a good job

Last edited by dino7c; 04-24-2019 at 03:45 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #86
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Trump was the better candidate because he won

/
I both agree and disagree.

Trump was the best candidate to win the election.

Hillary was the best candidate to run the country (out of the two).

Politics is a game, and that’s reality, but it really shouldn’t be. If people were actually interested in voting for the best candidate to actually be the president, (the person who best exemplifies the experience and qualities required to perform in the role) then the last election (and this one, and the many before and after) would be much different.

Not that it makes a difference. But that’s likely where the sentiment that Trump was not the best candidate is coming from, and it’s absolutely justified.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #87
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I agree it is possible...I think it makes things harder, for me this isn't the election.

I mean there have been 45 presidents...43 straight christian white guys, One straight christian black guy, and one straight christian orange guy

and for the 1 millionth time popular vote is irrelevant...the two biggest states are voting democrat, any democratic candidate will win the popular vote it doesn't mean they did a good job
Grover Cleveland gets counted twice because in the words of grandpa Abe Simpson, "Grover Cleveland spanked me on two nonconsecutive occasions."
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #88
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Clinton was so toxic she got more votes than any non-black presidential candidate in history...

Not saying she didn't make mistakes in her campaign, but I don't think unpopularity was the key problem.

It was a change election and she was more of Obama.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #89
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Democrats have about a dozen candidates who should handily win an election against Trump, provided they do enough self oppo-research to make sure nobody has any skeletons in their closets that might come out during the campaign.

Democrats need to stop stressing out about the demographics, point out that Trump is about as close to a lame-duck as a first-term president can get, and that the best way for people to have a say in the next president is to vote in their Democrat primaries. Keep that process clean and transparent, and whoever gets through to the general will be in great shape.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #90
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Bernie should get out of the Democratic race. He is not a Democrat, has never been one, does not intend to become one. If he wants to run for President he should do so as he presents himself - an independent.

Either that, or become a member of the Party he wants to lead, though that would stink of rank opportunism.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #91
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
If Hillary wasn't so incredibly toxic she probably would have run away with the election.m.
Just so I have this straight, Hillary was toxic, Trump was not?

Wow
Old 04-24-2019, 09:19 PM   #92
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post

Wow
She had the second lowest favourability ratings of any candidate ever. (Yes Trump was worse). But she wasn’t well liked by Democrats and independents compared to previous democratic candidates.

She was also much more disliked by republicans than previous candidates.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #93
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post

Wow
again you are missing the entire point
Old 04-24-2019, 10:51 PM   #94
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Bernie should get out of the Democratic race. He is not a Democrat, has never been one, does not intend to become one. If he wants to run for President he should do so as he presents himself - an independent.

Either that, or become a member of the Party he wants to lead, though that would stink of rank opportunism.
Have you considered that not being a Democrat is something people actually like about him?

And I'm sure when Bernie ran as an independent and handed Trump a second term on a silver platter none of the Democrat party establishment would screech with rage about how he cost them the election again at all.

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theinfinitejar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 11:29 PM   #95
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I didn't say he wasn't intelligent and well spoken. He clearly is. I've watched plenty of interviews with him and the theme of his campaign is heavily weighted toward UBI. If you had done some research you'd know this.
He has hilighted UBI because he has to differentiate himself from a very crowded field. That's a far cry from someone being a one-note candidate.

His website has a plethora of policy positions on a wide range of issues.
Mathgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #96
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Sanders might win the Dem nomination but I think he's way way too far left to win the general election.
https://youtu.be/CVeK9H86_NY

https://youtu.be/dtQw0fyZgfM
Mathgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #97
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biden officially in.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1121353260231688192
Old 04-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #98
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
She had the second lowest favourability ratings of any candidate ever. (Yes Trump was worse). But she wasn’t well liked by Democrats and independents compared to previous democratic candidates.

She was also much more disliked by republicans than previous candidates.
Yes, 30 years of non-stop demonization created its own mythos. Republican propaganda puts GRRM to shame with its fantasy building.

It was so effective that people are still pulling the - “two horrible candidates, derp” - and even here, people equate HRC with DJT on a regular basis.

And - aside from the fact that she didn’t beat Trump - most people have very little reason for their hatred of her.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #99
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Already

Anti-Trump
Democracy at stake
Play the race card

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #100
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I think the Democrats have to focus on policy and how they intend to make a positive difference rather than put all of their eggs in the 'Trump is bad' basket. Everyone knows he's a SOB but he's their SOB. The Democrats have to demonstrate how they will make people's lives better.

I think Bernie, Buttigieg and a few others are doing that. However, some seem to be fixated on Trump.