Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #221
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
We've got an invite to their sneak peak coming up so we'll be doing a quick review after that and then a full review later on. Obviously at the preview type of events restaurants can make sure they are serving up their very best, so we also want to see what they can do during a normal lunch rush, and if the quality holds up.

Anxious to try it though.

hit their colorado burger. I think that is the one with green chillis as a topping......so so good.

FYI, I am jealous and hate you.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #222
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Table 5. The meat patty is the most important thing yet it only counts for 30% of the overall score.

An idea: Jiri, if you want to make your site more unique how about allowing your visitors weight the value they put on each of the aspects you rate.

So right now you weight everything 30/30/30/10.

Let people decide how much weight to put on each category so they can then sort the results based on what is most important to them.

So if someone like Table 5 doesn't put many (or any) topping on their burger then they can adjust the rankings appropriately.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #223
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

So who is going to help run the site when Jiri's heart explodes?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #224
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Great idea for a project. I don't know what it is about 5 Guys... the price disappoints me every time. I would rather have 8 single burgers from DQ. I realize that's blasphemy in burger circles, but dammit I can't live this lie anymore.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #225
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I tried 5 guys, and the first time I was disappointed. I saw all their great toppings, and I over did it. Burger was a sloppy, fall apart mess. Next time I scaled down my toppings choices, and the burger was far better. Same issue with Boogie's burgers. Some places can handle two patties, other places really can't. That doesn't mean that the burger is less because it is made only to handle a certain number of toppings while another burger can handle more. Hard to rank these things, though.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #226
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Great idea for a project. I don't know what it is about 5 Guys... the price disappoints me every time. I would rather have 8 single burgers from DQ. I realize that's blasphemy in burger circles, but dammit I can't live this lie anymore.
Jiri you should review the "99 cent TODAY ONLY" burger from DQ. I drive by the sign everyday but not once have dropped the 99 cents to experience it for myself. Is it any good?
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bradster57 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #227
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should also take a run at the hitchin' post down in High River once it warms up.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #228
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
The Yardhouse burgers were suprisingly good when I had them.

I hate burgers where you have to dislocate my jaw to get them in. I have poor mouthal clearance.

Didn't I hear about this burgerquest website the other night on some radio station?
How's the mouthal clearance for a foot long dog?
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #229
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradster57 View Post
Jiri you should review the "99 cent TODAY ONLY" burger from DQ. I drive by the sign everyday but not once have dropped the 99 cents to experience it for myself. Is it any good?
I actually, for whatever reason, find DQ's basic hamburgers to be one of my favorite fast food burgers. I think it's the simplicity. The patties are decent tasting and they put mustard and ketchup on and not much else.

Yes, those signs are hilariosu though. They've been up for at least the past 5 years, possibly longer.

I also miss the 25cent hamburger days at McDonalds. Remember going there with my3 siblings and my parents would throw a bag full of 30 of them back at us in the minivan....ahhh the good old days. One step up from eating out of a troth.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #230
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What about the 69 cent burger days @ DQ. You just have to stop then and grab 10.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #231
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Yes, those signs are hilariosu though. They've been up for at least the past 5 years, possibly longer.
A lot longer than 5 years. I can remember in Jr High School in the late 80s going to DQ for their 99 cent burger deal. Unfortunately, they've just jacked up the prices of everything else on their menu to make up for it.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #232
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I actually, for whatever reason, find DQ's basic hamburgers to be one of my favorite fast food burgers. I think it's the simplicity. The patties are decent tasting and they put mustard and ketchup on and not much else.

I also miss the 25cent hamburger days at McDonalds. Remember going there with my3 siblings and my parents would throw a bag full of 30 of them back at us in the minivan....ahhh the good old days. One step up from eating out of a troth.
I miss the quater quarter pounders at Willy's.

One Friday a month you could roll in and get 4 burgers for a buck.

God bless
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #233
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

SmashBurger should be pretty good when it opens up.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #234
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I miss the quater quarter pounders at Willy's.

One Friday a month you could roll in and get 4 burgers for a buck.

God bless
One of the few times I've ever gotten food poisoning was from Willy's.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #235
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
One of the few times I've ever gotten food poisoning was from Willy's.
not to be prickish, but was it confirmed via tests that is came from Willy's?

I never had any issues, and i used to stroll to the one on Heritage and Fairmount once a week at least during high school.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #236
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
not to be prickish, but was it confirmed via tests that is came from Willy's?

I never had any issues, and i used to stroll to the one on Heritage and Fairmount once a week at least during high school.
Never confirmed, no. I'm probably being a bit hyperbolic in saying that it was food poisoning, since it wasn't like I was hospitalized or anything. All I remember is eating a meal there and it not agreeing with me in the least. Plus it was the one in the NE that was always a grubby.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #237
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Never confirmed, no. I'm probably being a bit hyperbolic in saying that it was food poisoning, since it wasn't like I was hospitalized or anything. All I remember is eating a meal there and it not agreeing with me in the least. Plus it was the one in the NE that was always a grubby.
I often found that they were spotty from location to location. The gasoline alley one in RD was very good, as was the one near Beaverbrook.
Never ate at the NE location.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #238
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Btw, if on your quest, you happen to find a Juicy Lucy in town, let us know. Still one of the most genius ideas ever though of by man (cheese placed into the middle of the patty so its melted when you bite into it). I had one of these at one of the great burger bars in St.Paul (The Nook) and it was one of the best burgers I've had in my life.
I have a recipe if you'd like to make them yourself. AMAZING! America's test kitchen rocks for recipes like this.

Jiri, make sure you hit up Farm to review their burger. It'll lose points for sloppyness, but damn, I'm drooling thinking about it right now.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #239
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
I tried 5 guys, and the first time I was disappointed. I saw all their great toppings, and I over did it. Burger was a sloppy, fall apart mess. Next time I scaled down my toppings choices, and the burger was far better. Same issue with Boogie's burgers. Some places can handle two patties, other places really can't. That doesn't mean that the burger is less because it is made only to handle a certain number of toppings while another burger can handle more. Hard to rank these things, though.
I think Boogies are capable of being eaten without too much messiness, but the Five Guys stuff is almost impossible without having to pick up fallen toppings from your tray.

Peter's gets a lot of grief, but I think its a nice burger. It is very reminiscent of a place in Kelowna called Burger Baron as far the patty and bun texture go, except that Burger Baron has a lot more varieties of burger toppings and milkshakes.

Anyway, I am not sure if the thread title is accurate anymore as we venture outside of high-end establishments for reviews.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #240
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

And a roadtrip to Edmonton for Red Robins.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post: