Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-02-2019, 05:18 AM   #81
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Every singer loses their ability to stretch and hit notes and sing like they did in their prime, and with 80 years between albums I'm willing to bet that Maynard is not able to what he used to rather than not being involved or featured as prominently as he normally is.

Happens to everyone. It was my first thought on that track released a month ago where he seemed to be experimenting with a more breathy, understated delivery. I'd much prefer how Maynard is doing it to how too many singers either A) still sing like they're 10 years younger and sound painful or B) use embarrassing amounts of autotune
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #82
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tool isn't really his creative release anyways. He's got Puscifer, APC, and even his vineyards for that. I've long heard that Tool is Adam Jones's baby, and not Maynard's.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #83
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I can’t stop listening to this album. It’s not groundbreaking but it’s just solid. It sounds very much like a continuation of their sounds from 10k days and Lateralus without reinventing the wheel. I might even describe it as familiar but never boring.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #84
The Reverend
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This album probably deserves at minimum 5 listenings to derive any fair conclusion and I haven't got that far but as of now I think (won't be popular here) the new Slipknot is a better Metal release as I feel this is more of a rock/metal album.
I'm not sure this comparison makes sense. The two bands are markedly different in their style and approach. Simply putting Tool into a category like "Metal" confines their new record and the metamorphosis of the band they are now. Resisting geek-out urge to talk about the Fibonacci sequence in Lateralus...

While appropriate for their earlier releases (maybe) it really is a disservice to their new album which is far more contextual than a straightforward metal album like the one Slipknot put out.

Both records are good just very different.
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #85
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Tool falls into the general hard rock/alternative/metal landscape. They’re not really honed in on a genre enough to compare them to say, Slipknot, and pick which band puts out the better metal record, because from a pure genre standpoint, it’s usually going to be the band that touches more of the bases.

The new album is fine. I don’t know exactly how I feel about it after a couple complete listens. It’s doesn’t stand out to me as a particularly exceptional album in general, and I think there are probably 2-3 other Tool albums I put above it if we’re talking their catalogue alone. Sounds very much like a band with a specific sound staying true to that sound. They did a good job after a long break. Probably a 7/10 overall.

Reminds me how I felt about Blur’s return. Good album, but it probably won’t get a ton of plays for me. If I’m in a Tool mood, I’ll lean to a different album from the catalogue.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:15 AM   #86
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I can’t stop listening to this album. It’s not groundbreaking but it’s just solid. It sounds very much like a continuation of their sounds from 10k days and Lateralus without reinventing the wheel. I might even describe it as familiar but never boring.
I’ve been trying to put my thoughts into words and I think this is it. It’s an incredibly listenable album from start to finish that reminds me of their previous albums while still feeling fresh.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:13 AM   #87
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
I'm not sure this comparison makes sense. The two bands are markedly different in their style and approach. Simply putting Tool into a category like "Metal" confines their new record and the metamorphosis of the band they are now. Resisting geek-out urge to talk about the Fibonacci sequence in Lateralus...

While appropriate for their earlier releases (maybe) it really is a disservice to their new album which is far more contextual than a straightforward metal album like the one Slipknot put out.

Both records are good just very different.
Tool doesn't compare directly with anyone as they have their own sound. It's why you have a lot of fans loving it and some that don't get it as it's (at least the last few albums) an acquired taste. What I am saying basically is that Slipknot's new album to me is better for what I like to listen to these days as I can put it on in the car or gym and go. Fear Inoculum is more of a solitary sit down and listen to in your room album and while I used to do that a lot when I was younger I no longer have the time these days to give it the time it probably needs to stick in my head.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #88
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man, this could almost have been an instrumental album and I would have been happy. Maynard didn't add much in the way of ambiance to it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Jones/Carey work. I don't know how they are able to come up with those guitar parts, they are bananas. In typical tool fashion, the interlude things are throwaways. Going to expunge those from the playlist...
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #89
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone interested in Tool should listen to Chris Jericho's podcast. He has Adam Jones on as his guest (first time ever he's done a podcast!). There's some wrestling talk in there (he's a fan), but mainly tons of talk about Tool, their approach to creating music, the band's history, AJ's background in art and makeup, how Danny Carey is basically the god of drumming, how MJK and Danny were in GREEN JELLY (haha), and much more.

Super, super cool podcast.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5qU...Tvm56UjHrO3v3g
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #90
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Man, this could almost have been an instrumental album and I would have been happy. Maynard didn't add much in the way of ambiance to it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Jones/Carey work. I don't know how they are able to come up with those guitar parts, they are bananas. In typical tool fashion, the interlude things are throwaways. Going to expunge those from the playlist...
I think instrumentally this is some of the best work they've ever done. I love that the band doesn't hold back. They are all monsters of their craft. I actually think a more subdued Maynard works really well for these songs, but his melodic contributions are no less important to the overall sound. Also really enjoying the lyrical territory he's gone into here.

I love the album. Far exceeded all of my expectations. My favorite song keeps changing daily.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #91
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's almost stupid how good this album is. Not counting Chocolate Chip Trip (which I always skip), Culling Voices is probably my least favourite song of the bunch, and even that one is really effing good. But Fear Inoculum, Pneuma, Invincible and Descending are monsters and there's a really cool Undertow vibe to 7empest.

It's sad to think about the fact that those 4 stupidly talented musicians have "only" given us 5 albums over a span of over 25 years. But man, this one's been worth the wait, and if that's it, then it's a hell of a goodbye.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #92
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My drive to work is 15 minutes max so I get like one song each way, lol. I agree though, my favorite song changes all the time. I'm loving it way more than I did at the start, but I think that's normal for Tool. Such a good album to blast in the car.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #93
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Changing favourites is so true.
For me right now it's Descending, which at first sounded the most meh.

This album feels like an overlap of Lateralus and 10,000 Days, with heavier riffs and more prominent drums.

Love it.

/fanboy
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #94
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
It's almost stupid how good this album is. Not counting Chocolate Chip Trip (which I always skip), Culling Voices is probably my least favourite song of the bunch, and even that one is really effing good. But Fear Inoculum, Pneuma, Invincible and Descending are monsters and there's a really cool Undertow vibe to 7empest.

It's sad to think about the fact that those 4 stupidly talented musicians have "only" given us 5 albums over a span of over 25 years. But man, this one's been worth the wait, and if that's it, then it's a hell of a goodbye.
Pneuma is so good. The best on the album for sure. Invincible and Descending are also awesome, but I ruined the songs for myself by listening to crappy bootleg live versions of them for weeks.

Just a solid, solid album. My only gripe is that there are only 10 songs. There's a couple I skip as well (Chocolate Chip Trip being one of them), but the ones you mentioned, by themselves, make this album just that damn good.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #95
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For me, Tool is like the show The Wire. Both are classics, all time greats even. But man they can be such a chore to get through. I dont mind this album, its not horrible by any means, but overall I much prefer Slipknot's new album.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #96
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
For me, Tool is like the show The Wire. Both are classics, all time greats even. But man they can be such a chore to get through. I dont mind this album, its not horrible by any means, but overall I much prefer Slipknot's new album.
I'm not a massive Slipknot fan so I'm kind of shocked by how much I like this album. It's definitely Slipknot but very new and fresh which is incredibly difficult to pull off when you are a tenured band with a discography of 5+ albums. There's a lot of experimentation, variance, and not all of it's perfect (I can't listen to a Slipknot ballad without thinking it should be a Stone Sour song and not a Slipknot song) but it comes together and offers a little of something for every metal fan which is a rare accomplishment.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-06-2019 at 12:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #97
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #98
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Third straight #1 album on Billboard (list updates officially tomorrow)

Quote:
Remarkably, Fear Inoculum’s big debut is a now-rare example of a No. 1 album without the assistance of a concert ticket/album sale redemption offer, any sort of album pre-order/pre-sale access code promotion, or a single merchandise/album bundle -- all of which have become the norm for most major albums in recent years as artists struggle to sell albums through more old-fashioned or traditional methods.

...Fear Inoculum marks Tool’s third No. 1, following 2006’s 10,000 Days and 2001’s Lateralus...
https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...art-rock-album
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #99
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have read that fans of Taylor Swift are miffed she's been relegated to 2nd spot by this unknown band that they have never heard of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 05:10 PM   #100
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

In that case, I hope that unknown band Tool stays at #1 for weeks and the rage of Taylor Swift fans grows exponentially and violently.