Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #2041
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I just found a series recently which started in 2007 called Burn Notice, and ran 7 years

It is about a guy who was an international spy and suddenly found himself black listed and without access to normal resources and protocols

He has a friend who is also informing on him, Bruce Campbell, and an interesting ex girlfriend / former IRA (if I recall correctly) (Gabrielle Anwar), who is great tactically while being involved in the dramatic arc , as the main character takes in odd jobs while trying to figure out who put the burn notice on him and why

Just a season in so far, but it’s been decently entertaining to this point
Burn Notice is awesome. I like how it brings a more grounded approach to the spy genre, where Michael tries to blend in and gain access to areas with MacGyver tricks instead of being an action hero like Bond. And ya anything with Bruce Campbell in it automatically gets bumped up a few notches
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #2042
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I just found a series recently which started in 2007 called Burn Notice, and ran 7 years

It is about a guy who was an international spy and suddenly found himself black listed and without access to normal resources and protocols

He has a friend who is also informing on him, Bruce Campbell, and an interesting ex girlfriend / former IRA (if I recall correctly) (Gabrielle Anwar), who is great tactically while being involved in the dramatic arc , as the main character takes in odd jobs while trying to figure out who put the burn notice on him and why

Just a season in so far, but it’s been decently entertaining to this point
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 10:00 PM   #2043
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think I need to do a season by season review of Babylon 5. I'm in the first season which is a lot of character building. But the episode by espisode stories are so good.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 12:00 AM   #2044
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It is well produced. I love Elisabeth Moss but wouldn't mind if we had a little less of her snarls and extended steely stares. I thought it jumped the shark a little in the very last episode.

I understand season 5 will be the last one so will watch to see where it ends up.
I agree...has gone from great to good to...uh, lets just see how it ends I guess

kinda the same thing over and over and getting predictable for me.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:04 AM   #2045
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just finished watching Statup on Netflix and really enjoyed it. The show is only 3 seasons long so it is a pretty quick watch especially if you binge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #2046
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Watched the first episode the other day- Was well done, interested to see where it's going

Jesus christ the opener to this weeks show was jarring.

Spoiler!

Old 08-31-2021, 12:37 PM   #2047
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just finished White Lotus.... what did I just watch haha. The dryness of the humour is hilarious IMO. Not uplifting at all but I enjoyed it.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 01:31 PM   #2048
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Just finished White Lotus.... what did I just watch haha. The dryness of the humour is hilarious IMO. Not uplifting at all but I enjoyed it.
Yeah it's really rather dark. It was funny in a satirical way and well acted. I didn't like all the style choices but it was a good watch.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 01:48 PM   #2049
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Definitely. It is satirical and scathing. A lot of the characters go ahead and do what they want, and the rich end up better off, with little consequence. Meanwhile, the others, including the help, are worse off, chewed up left in their wake. And one character is much worse off.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #2050
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We started watching the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles after finding them in my father-in-law's DVD pile. Didn't watch it when it first aired, but I'm really enjoying it so far. It's more fun when I see it as a professor's kid who keeps getting into adventures than as the early days of an established character.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 08:05 PM   #2051
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

What we do in the Shadows Season 3 starts tonight
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 09:41 PM   #2052
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I really liked Hacks. Jean Smart is hilarious.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 10:13 PM   #2053
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll second that - Hacks is great. Really looking forward to season 2, which is ages away.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 10:31 PM   #2054
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 seasons of Wellington Paranormal just showed up on Crave. My weekend is set.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 11:31 PM   #2055
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
3 seasons of Wellington Paranormal just showed up on Crave. My weekend is set.
Nice. I've been watching it on The CW this summer, but they're only about halfway through the second season.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #2056
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

What we do in the Shadows Season 3 started on Hulu last night and I think it's airing on FX Canada as well.

Edit: Whoops, missed Eldrickonice's post. Sorry dude. I am surprised to see it airing at the same time on FX so I got overly excited to contribute.

Last edited by Barnes; 09-03-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #2057
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

just started watching the 9/11 series on Netflix...

after all these years and over exposure, I still get chills watching...This documentary has a lot of voice calls and messages from people who survived and also those who didn't.

20 years later, its still difficult to watch at times...can't imagine what is like for New Yorkers or people that actually knew people who worked in to world trade center...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 05:43 AM   #2058
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yellowstone....

I've heard it's really good, I started watching it and I'm 3 episodes in. Is it worth continuing on with?

It's not 'bad' but I find myself already being a tad irritated by the writing. Too many coincidences happening for my liking. For instance, when the youngest Dutton is about to confess to his wife what he did, that trailer just happens to explode not only exactly while they happen to be driving by, but also exactly the same time he just starts to confess.

Then later when he's driving by that van with his boy, gets in a confrontation with those kidnappers, because that's what kidnappers do right? Just barely pull off the road and sit in the wide open while attempting to do whatever it is they were going to do with that girl. Then as he chases after the kidnapper that runs, he puts his kid in the culvert....just happens to be a rattlesnake in the culvert right? And the snake goes after the kid because that's what rattlesnakes do right? No, it's not.

So than at the end of the episode, after they burn and bury the kidnappers bodies, whaddaya know....a surveying crew all of a sudden drives off the road right where that all happened, in the middle of nowhere, and start heading straight for the EXACT spot where the hole was dug? lol

Just too many stupid coincidences so far. Kind of reminding me of Sons of Anarchy, where they always had #### going wrong out of nowhere and the main characters were always putting out constant fires everywhere that kept popping up one after another. It can be entertaining, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for that type of show to be honest. To me it's lazy writing. You don't need weird unrealistic coincidences to be constantly happening to create a good drama IMO.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 06:51 AM   #2059
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yellowstone....

I've heard it's really good, I started watching it and I'm 3 episodes in. Is it worth continuing on with?

It's not 'bad' but I find myself already being a tad irritated by the writing. Too many coincidences happening for my liking. For instance, when the youngest Dutton is about to confess to his wife what he did, that trailer just happens to explode not only exactly while they happen to be driving by, but also exactly the same time he just starts to confess.

Then later when he's driving by that van with his boy, gets in a confrontation with those kidnappers, because that's what kidnappers do right? Just barely pull off the road and sit in the wide open while attempting to do whatever it is they were going to do with that girl. Then as he chases after the kidnapper that runs, he puts his kid in the culvert....just happens to be a rattlesnake in the culvert right? And the snake goes after the kid because that's what rattlesnakes do right? No, it's not.

So than at the end of the episode, after they burn and bury the kidnappers bodies, whaddaya know....a surveying crew all of a sudden drives off the road right where that all happened, in the middle of nowhere, and start heading straight for the EXACT spot where the hole was dug? lol

Just too many stupid coincidences so far. Kind of reminding me of Sons of Anarchy, where they always had #### going wrong out of nowhere and the main characters were always putting out constant fires everywhere that kept popping up one after another. It can be entertaining, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for that type of show to be honest. To me it's lazy writing. You don't need weird unrealistic coincidences to be constantly happening to create a good drama IMO.
That kind of stuff continues to happen no doubt. If you keep watching you need to learn to live with the utter lack of realism. I do think once they realized they had a hit on their hands and weren't on the verge of cancellation they dialed back some of the ridiculousness and leaned in a little more to the setting and characters.

This is not an HBO prestige drama based on gritty realism like the Wire. It is basically Dallas updated for today in a beautiful setting. My feelings were similar to yours but I stuck with it and don't really regret it. I've been entertained.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 08:57 AM   #2060
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Heels had another really good episode. They covered a lot of stuff in one episode. The death of the boys brother and their mothers outright anger about it to the point of telling her grandson that Grandpa is burning in hell because that's what happens to people that kill themselves.

Ace continues to slide into his heel persona, at the same time he suspects Crystal of cheating on him with Billy (not true yet) but he goes out and cheats on her.

Wild Bill gets fired by the WWF (or its fictional equivalent) and goes off the reservation.

Really smart show with some great writing.