Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #781
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
That's only because they split coal into brown and black. German generation in 2015 was:

Hydro: 20.24 TWh
Biomass: 56.57 TWh
Nuclear: 87.07 TWh
Brown coal: 139.44 TWh
Black coal: 103.94 TWh
Natural gas: 29.95 TWh
Wind: 85.43 TWh
Solar: 36.58 TWh

https://www.energy-charts.de/energy.htm

Included in renewables is biomass, which includes the burning of wood. Classified as carbon neutral, there are many doubts about just how clean and sustainable it actually is.
Sure, but we can agree that biomass is currently more desirable than coal no?

And the lignite vs. coal comparison is a German artifact. That's how they've broken it down traditionally as two separate sources.

And lignite is the dirtiest fuel. Over 1000 MW of lignite capacity is coming offline in Germany in the next 3 years that isn't being renewed.

Which going back to my earlier assertion that everyone is jumping all over is that in German, the US and China renewables are eating into coal capacity.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #782
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Go on. Tell me why you think OECD oil consumption hasn't peaked and why you think it wont peak by 2030 then.
It depends on global growth, something that is plateauing rapidly, but without a massive technological breakthrough that provides energy with the same efficiency as fossil fuels (you haven't said a thing about the MASSIVE subsidies that renewables receive) then the tipping point will always be elusive.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #783
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It depends on global growth, something that is plateauing rapidly, but without a massive technological breakthrough that provides energy with the same efficiency as fossil fuels (you haven't said a thing about the MASSIVE subsidies that renewables receive) then the tipping point will always be elusive.
So oil demand peaking in 2004 in the OECD was because our economy didn't grow out to 2014?

There are technical alternatives. Watch the adoption rates of EVs especially in China. If they go over 1% of sales in the next 3 years then I would guess we'll see big action in the next decade. Of note, China has put massive amount of R&D money in EVs, they're positioning to be the manufacturing leader of EVS. Still lots of uncertainty and many different pathways but there's more and more discussion of global peak oil demand. Why do you think the Saudis are doing what they're doing right now? They're spooked of losing market share while the market peaks.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #784
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tinordi, do you have a good link to a plan to prevent warming by 2 degrees that is economicly viable. I'd be interested to read if you got rid of political obstacles how you actually go about it and what things like heating and flights would cost in such an environment.

The closest things I've seen is old was George Monbiots book Heat. Is there something better currently?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #785
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Watch the adoption rates of EVs especially in China. If they go over 1% of sales in the next 3 years then I would guess we'll see big action in the next decade.
What is an EV?
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #786
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Electric Vehicle
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #787
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Electric Vehicle
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #788
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

That's pretty much how the Mayor of Montreal views us.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...tics-1.3414815

After a few verbal volleys back and forth, Coderee tried to bomb Jean back into the Stone Age when he told Radio Canada's La Croisee: "First of all, you have to allow me a moment to laugh at a guy like Brian Jean, when he says he relies on science. These are probably the same people who think the Flintstones is a documentary. But that's another story."
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #789
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Coderee is a complete idiot, end of story.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #790
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I felt weird when I read this article.

Quebec City Mayor Supports Energy East

Quote:
“I wonder how I would feel if a province or a region in another province prevented Hydro-Québec from building its transmission line. I would feel exactly like the people in the West do now. I understand them.”
A single reasonable person from Quebec? What is this? Some sort of alternate reality?

And reasonable expectations of TransCanada as well. If they can't produce the specific mitigative techniques that they're using for the St. Lawrence crossing, then they really should be blasted for that. At least it's within the scope of TC, rather than asking the pipeline company to build better tanker ships.
Regorium is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #791
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Now I really hope Quebec City gets an NHL hockey team.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #792
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Coderee is a complete idiot, end of story.
Agreed and his twitter remarks afterwards confirmed it.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #793
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
^ Now I really hope Quebec City gets an NHL hockey team.
I just hope it isn't the Flames!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #794
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems that Roger Millions may be a climate change denier.

His retweet links to this blog post.

Climate Science May Force Students IQs Down
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #795
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post

Well I don't think asking questions about these things should have people pejoratively labelled? Is there an obvious explanation for the data that seems to conflict the original report? Seems like we are pressing politicians to make some major changes to our society in the name of climate change, so asking questions and wanting to confirm its accuracy doesn't strike me as completely irresponsible.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #796
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well I don't think asking questions about these things should have people pejoratively labelled? Is there an obvious explanation for the data that seems to conflict the original report? Seems like we are pressing politicians to make some major changes to our society in the name of climate change, so asking questions and wanting to confirm its accuracy doesn't strike me as completely irresponsible.
You have to be trolling at this point, as the article they reference doesn't actually support there complaints. Since they cant add 25 to 2008 which is 2033 not 2016, which is the earliest they discuss in the article. Other predictions are a 100 years out.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #797
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post

or he is like every other person on twitter and saw a headline and graph and hit retweet.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #798
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
You have to be trolling at this point, as the article they reference doesn't actually support there complaints. Since they cant add 25 to 2008 which is 2033 not 2016, which is the earliest they discuss in the article. Other predictions are a 100 years out.
Yeah, I'm a complete troll because I ask questions about something that was posted. I do have a concern with projections that are 100 years out and the like though. I might not be a scientist, but I see projections all the time in finance and frankly they're only as good as the models and the information. So here we are about a third or a quarter into that "no snow" prediction and things haven't moved in that direction at all. I don't think its a trolling scenario to ask what's changed and why that dire prediction hasn't even begun at this time?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #799
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the world's wealthiest and most powerful people say that there is a problem, and that the only way to solve it is to get the middle-classes to pay, I think a bit of skepticism is a good thing.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #800
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah, I'm a complete troll because I ask questions about something that was posted. I do have a concern with projections that are 100 years out and the like though. I might not be a scientist, but I see projections all the time in finance and frankly they're only as good as the models and the information. So here we are about a third or a quarter into that "no snow" prediction and things haven't moved in that direction at all. I don't think its a trolling scenario to ask what's changed and why that dire prediction hasn't even begun at this time?
Did you read the article they linked, it said snowhills will be fine for 25 years. The article that was retweeted was 100% made up fear story and if you read the article they linked you would know this. Is this the same type of effort you put into your financial advice you give to people? So yes you are either a troll or a hack
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote