Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #101
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
I find it's always busy up to Sentinal pass, and by then you are getting up into the scree and scrambling part of the hike, so worries about bears turn into worries about falling rocks. I'd say making sure you have a climbing helmet is more important than having a group of 4 people when scrambling Temple. You should be able to blend in well with groups out of Moraine Lake
Thanks. Turns out of the frind I was going to go with, that already has done the climb, is backing out, so... bah... disappointing.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #102
GreenHardHat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm heading out to Kimberly next week. Anybody have a recommendation for a good day hike or two?
GreenHardHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #103
bosox_fan05
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Any recommendations for backpacks for hiking? I am coming from, basically, the cheapo Calgary Stampede backpacks that I have used for mostly every outing I've had. The old MEC child carrier I had felt really good, and I liked the belt/waist support on it so hoping for something that has that and an area for a hydration pack.

My experience with the Deuter packs was, well, unfortunate and returned them. Maybe they're resting on their past laurels. So, I would like to find something in the sub-$120 range and some of the MEC brand ones look decent and the reviews are okay. Just wondering what some others on here use for day hikes.
Close to your price limit, but I've found the Eddie Bauer First Ascent Alchemist 30L pack to be a great all around pack.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/pr...mPathInfo=null
bosox_fan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #104
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Osprey packs are IMO the best you can buy.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/...ydration_packs

I have 3 different packs. One for commuting and day hikes. One for mountain biking and one for everyday travel.

They're extremely comfortable and will last you for a very long time.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #105
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is my pack, I have used a couple different one, easily the most functional and most comfortable one I have worn.

Im 6'2 - relatively wide shoulders and chest, somewhat narrow waist. Its great for the type of hikes I typically go on - 3 night excursions. The waist belt for me is probably the most important feature of this bag, its crazy comfortable and has 2 pouches on the belt to keep things like a camera or snacks.

I combine it with a 3L Osprey water pouch that I carry along with it. So far its taken me to 13 overnight trips in Canada, 1 in Utah and 1 in the Grand Canyon.

Gregory Baltoro 75

Last edited by mykalberta; 08-16-2013 at 09:40 AM.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #106
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHardHat View Post
I'm heading out to Kimberly next week. Anybody have a recommendation for a good day hike or two?

Scramble up one of the highest points that the cup has ever been hoisted from :
http://www.crownofthecontinent.net/c...C7D7156FA4BCCA

Or Mount Evans, Bootleg or an easier but beautiful hike in St.Marys Alpine Provincial Park.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #107
GreenHardHat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
Scramble up one of the highest points that the cup has ever been hoisted from :
http://www.crownofthecontinent.net/c...C7D7156FA4BCCA

Or Mount Evans, Bootleg or an easier but beautiful hike in St.Marys Alpine Provincial Park.
That's awesome. Thanks for the info and the link. I might have to try and convince the girlfriend to do that scramble so that I can recreate this pic with my MacInnis jersey and mini stanley cup.

GreenHardHat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHardHat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #108
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serendipitously during our trip to Seattle, I walked by the North Face store and picked up the Angstrom 28 on sale for $95.

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/w...atalogId=10201

Managed to take it on the trek into the Ape Caves and on the Grouse Grind. Very comfortable, and just the right size.

I am quite happy it still smells good after the Grouse Grind. For a fairly shady hike, I managed to sweat about 2 litres of fluid. The weird thing about that hike is not feeling any desire to drink or eat on the way up. I felt absolutely like throwing up whenever I thought I should drink some water.

Ape Caves were awesome. Highly recommended. We did the lower and upper sections. Upper section was rough with all of the scrambling over sharp basalt and pumice, and carrying my daughter around was awkward. My son had no issues, except that he tripped after coming out of the cave. It took about 4 hours to complete, and you have to backtrack twice. The cave isn't as well lit as it looks. It is pitch dark, and only really lit up like that becuase of the camera. Otherwise, you're just relying on the headlamps to illuminate the path directly in front of you.

Pics below.

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #109
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Search "Cascade Mountain Scramble Guide". The Parks Canada guide will come up. The route they describle is excellent. Stick to it and you won't have any problems
Attempted this last July but got stopped by snow 1 hour from the summit. Excellent views and terrain. If you have scrambled Mount Rundle this will not be a problem. Longer time, less incline at Cascade.
Bridge is out right now on the Cascade Ampitheatre part of the hike. Not sure how big a deal the crossing would be.
Going back some time in August to hopefully make the summit.
Made it to the summit this past Friday. Temporary bridge is in place. A couple of trail washouts on the Ampitheatre portion .... not difficult to bypass. Trail was dry to the summit.
There were just the 3 of us on the mountain ... and a mountain goat.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #110
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

on saturday the family hiked from the continental divide parking lot at lake louise to the tea house. it was crazy busy in lake louise. i was quite proud of my daughter (8) as she did the whole hike without complaining about the distance of the constant incline.

as an aside, when we got to the teahouse, we were rewarded with a front row seat as the air rescue folks had to pluck two silly tourist hikers from the face of the big beehive. most of us watching were o the opinion that they should ahve been left up there and they could face darwin's laws head on.......

i enjoy getting up the the teahouse, but the hike itself it not overly enjoyable as you are not rewarded with many views.

one day though, i'd like to hike to the six glaciers
Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #111
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
on saturday the family hiked from the continental divide parking lot at lake louise to the tea house. it was crazy busy in lake louise. i was quite proud of my daughter (8) as she did the whole hike without complaining about the distance of the constant incline.

as an aside, when we got to the teahouse, we were rewarded with a front row seat as the air rescue folks had to pluck two silly tourist hikers from the face of the big beehive. most of us watching were o the opinion that they should ahve been left up there and they could face darwin's laws head on.......

i enjoy getting up the the teahouse, but the hike itself it not overly enjoyable as you are not rewarded with many views.

one day though, i'd like to hike to the six glaciers
Six Glaciers is actually the easier of the two hikes. It really is only longer because the trail doesn't really gain elevation until you have walked 2km of flat around the lake. Otherwise its actually slightly less elevation than the tea house.

Another hike of similar difficulty with even better views is Wilcox pass on the ice field parkway just before the icefiled center.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #112
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Six Glaciers is actually the easier of the two hikes. It really is only longer because the trail doesn't really gain elevation until you have walked 2km of flat around the lake. Otherwise its actually slightly less elevation than the tea house.

Another hike of similar difficulty with even better views is Wilcox pass on the ice field parkway just before the icefiled center.

Yep, Lake Agnes tea house is 368M gain and Six Glaciers is 365M. Both are perfect for kids as they are under the 500M gain cut off point where it becomes an adult hike. I prefer the Six Glaciers tea house as it is not as busy and bigger with the second level. For kids you can't go wrong with Lake Agnes though as you start at Lake Louise and gain elevation quickly to Mirror Lake and then the waterfall off of Lake Agnes. Lots of logical stopping points along the way to distract kids from the work aspect of hiking. Getting to be soo busy/popular on some weekends they close the road to Louise and Moraine and charge you $20 to take a bus up. Go early!
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #113
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Yamnuska still accessable after the flooding? Any thoughts on it for two novice/intermediate hikers?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #114
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump for a question!

Does anyone have recommendations for a moderate - difficult ~3 hour (up) hike around Canmore or Banff area that will be open/decent in the middle of May?

I've been scrolling around on the site recommended here - trailpeak.com, but would love any direct suggestions!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #115
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't remember if Baldy was 3 hours up, but I always enjoyed that one early in the season.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #116
StevenAbootman
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Bump for a question!

Does anyone have recommendations for a moderate - difficult ~3 hour (up) hike around Canmore or Banff area that will be open/decent in the middle of May?

I've been scrolling around on the site recommended here - trailpeak.com, but would love any direct suggestions!
Mt. Lady MacDonald may be an option. Did this one a few years ago in May and had no issues with snow or ice.
StevenAbootman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenAbootman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #117
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went up Sulphur on Sunday. Still really slushy; snow all along the trail from base to the top. Probably will get muddy and gross in May.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #118
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Bump for a question!

Ha Ling Peak would be snow free by now looks over Canmore. For May I find the elbow falls / Bragg Creek area your best bet. May 15th the road opens up for Moose Mountain and you can get at least to the False summit before hitting too much snow, Prarie Mountain a steep but short hike, Nahani Ridge, Forget me not Ridge? and Rasberry Ridge all make good early season hikes.

May is pretty snowy in Banff still. Maybe some of the stuff around Lake Minnawanka. I think its called Akima lookout, there is also an extension to Akima pass but that is probably still snowed in in May
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #119
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenAbootman View Post
Mt. Lady MacDonald may be an option. Did this one a few years ago in May and had no issues with snow or ice.
Seconded, Lady Mac is probably the best option. Being a south exposure, the snow should disappear pretty quickly. With what occurred there last year, I would caution against hiking in the creek bed.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #120
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

what's a good overnight hike to take my kids on? not too far away but far enough and enough of a hike that they feel like they're in the wilderness

daughter 8 son 4

thanks,
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness