Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #3901
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Season 1 of You was good. There were some decent payoffs.

Season 2 is a mess and lost the spirit of the show really quickly. They ramped up the craziness and the final episode "twist" was the stupidest thing I've seen on TV in a while.
I was actually my first thought on the first introduction, then the lulled me out of thinking that was what was going on. Since it was my first thought, the twist back to it at the end felt good to me.

I liked the characters in season 2 better. But I would agree the plot in season 1 was allot tighter and more believable.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #3902
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I was actually my first thought on the first introduction, then the lulled me out of thinking that was what was going on. Since it was my first thought, the twist back to it at the end felt good to me.

I liked the characters in season 2 better. But I would agree the plot in season 1 was allot tighter and more believable.
Ha ha ha. Does season 2 involve magic and aliens? I find you have to suspend belief a fair bit in season 1.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:08 AM   #3903
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ha ha ha. Does season 2 involve magic and aliens? I find you have to suspend belief a fair bit in season 1.
For sure you do but season 2 makes you question your beliefs. "Am I too stupid to think this isn't possible?"
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #3904
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Season 1 of You was good. There were some decent payoffs.

Season 2 is a mess and lost the spirit of the show really quickly. They ramped up the craziness and the final episode "twist" was the stupidest thing I've seen on TV in a while.
Thanks for the heads up. The wife and I were on the fence about watching season 2, now we will skip it.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #3905
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Aaron Hernandez documentary is pretty good.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #3906
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I watched the Circle on Netflix, which is a reality show. It has 8 people locked in apartments and they only communicate through chat and profile pages. Its actually a lot of fun to watch. Some of the contestants have chosen to completely invent new persona's for themselves.

Its pretty much a guilty pleasure reality show, but it shows how people will craft themselves and make guesses about people based on social media.
My wife and I have been watching 6this, its good when you want some mindless entertainment for a while.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #3907
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished Witcher. Not overly impressed. While there were some interesting scenes and performances, and some of the self-contained episodes were OK, the overall style of storytelling was a bit of a mess. The jarring way they flipped through the timelines and tried to interweave the characters felt sloppy.

I'm not sure I'll watch further seasons.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #3908
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
My wife and I have been watching 6this, its good when you want some mindless entertainment for a while.
Just finished watching it yesterday--thought the show overall was pretty fun and had some likeable contestants for sure.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #3909
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Sex Education S2 and Hip-Hop Evolution S4 are out. Both are fantastic shows.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #3910
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The Aaron Hernandez documentary is pretty good.
Just finished the first episode, it's so crazy!! Like out of a movie or something.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #3911
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hernandez documentary was interesting. Problem I had was they had too many sub plots never fully explored. I mean thet constantly hammered on the gay/bi thing but never really pushed it too hard. Then loosely trying to play everything off off under CTE and then backed off and changed direction yet again.

Dude killed at least 4 people, doesn't matter what the jury decided on the 2nd case.

The good that came out of all that? Changing the law that dropped all charged against someone who died during trial or appeal. That was the good.

Hernandez was a monster plain and simple, doesn't matter how that monster was created, he still was one.

Absolutely senseless killings, born of ego and paranoia.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #3912
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I just finished the final episode of that 3 part doc on him. The first two were really good, the final one wasn't great...so we're supposed to feel bad for him then?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 05:00 AM   #3913
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished the whole doc myself.

I think the takeaway is, there’s never one simple answer to these things.

Aaron Hernandez was a byproduct of an abusive upbringing (physical (dad) emotional (mom), sexual (babysitter), internalized homophobia from his own sexuality, exacerbated by the head injuries he received and played through in his escape and meal ticket.

I was going to type more but really these are all spoilers, and people should watch and form their own opinions. The doc does oversaturate you with information and theories but that kind of leaves it up to the viewer to form their own opinion.

Interesting piece!

In the end. It’s up to you if you choose to feel sympathy or empathy. His life was a series of unfortunate choices. How or if you want to divvy up the blame is up to you.

Pats deserve more than I originally suspected with that whole secret apartment thing.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #3914
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd also include a natural proclivity to anger and violence running through that family, as evidenced by his father slamming his mom's head against a sink (and other things said about him). But agreed the above would have played a factor as well. Quite the documentary, those first couple episodes blew my mind.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #3915
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I plan to watch the Hernandez documentary soon, but if anyone is looking to supplement the doc with a deeper dive I would recommend the podcast Gladiator by Wondery. It's done by the Boston Globe Spotlight team, so the quality is top notch.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #3916
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading about the Hernandez trial while it was happening a few years back, all you could think of was that he was just a screw up and a gangster and was going to get everything he deserved.

After I seen the documentary, you realize that people are a lot more complex than just black and white and personally, I felt bad. He lived in a privileged neighborhood, and that was about it for the positive in the area he grew up in. It seems like his teenage years were a mess because of his parents and the circumstances of his life, and he made some very bad choices, but if he didn't have the guardianship to make those decisions, what can a person do? Then you add in the CTE, living in the closet, and all those factors and you realize the guy was a mess internally. I wouldn't go far as to say society let him down, but this was a series of negatives in this guys life that turned a possibly normal guy into an out of control maniac. It's simply a series of bad circumstances that you can't plan for with an individual like that.

Last edited by bluejays; 01-19-2020 at 07:15 PM.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:19 PM   #3917
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Kipo And The Age of Wonderbeasts is an excellent animated semi children's show that has a lot of obvious influences but does a good job separating itself from other cartoons. A bit cheesy for the adults at times, but you get invested in the characters which have a lot of heart. Hoping season two comes soon.
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ripTDR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #3918
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Reading about the Hernandez trial while it was happening a few years back, all you could think of was that he was just a screw up and a gangster and was going to get everything he deserved.

After I seen the documentary, you realize that people are a lot more complex than just black and white and personally, I felt bad. He lived in a privileged neighborhood, and that was about it for the positive in the area he grew up in. It seems like his teenage years were a mess because of his parents and the circumstances of his life, and he made some very bad choices, but if he didn't have the guardianship to make those decisions, what can a person do? Then you add in the CTE, living in the closet, and all those factors and you realize the guy was a mess internally. I wouldn't go far as to say society let him down, but this was a series of negatives in this guys life that turned a possibly normal guy into an out of control maniac. It's simply a series of bad circumstances that you can't plan for with an individual like that.
We have some capacity to change ourselves, but anyone that thinks humans are easily able to overcome their brain make up and environment are out to lunch. Your brain chemistry and environment are so much of who we are, and lead to most of the good and bad we see in the world.

People generally tend to reject the notion because they want to believe they have more control over themselves and of course the desire to brand bad people as rational monsters that should have known better, so they can feel good about the justice they seek.

It's not that black and white.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #3919
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thoroughly enjoyed The Witcher despite the poor reviews. Maybe low expectations helped, but I had a lot of fun with it.

The first episode was really odd and confusing, but it paid off pretty quickly and made everything quite satisfying in the end. Looking forward to more.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #3920
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed The Witcher despite the poor reviews. Maybe low expectations helped, but I had a lot of fun with it.

The first episode was really odd and confusing, but it paid off pretty quickly and made everything quite satisfying in the end. Looking forward to more.
Interesting. I tried to watch it and couldn't even get past the first episode. Maybe I should try it again.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote