Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #3801
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
That movie just bugged me, was depressing and I want to punch both the characters.
It makes you wonder sometimes if there should be additional creative license.

Watch the movie and then realize half-way that you should get a twist in there where the kid murders both his parents on his way to emancipation and then goes on to grow up and operate an African Cobalt mine.

Sure its dark but I guarantee you nobody would see it coming.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #3802
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I am absolutely thrilled with Henry Caville as Geralt.
Honestly this is one of the single greatest castings to play a fictional character that I can remember as he's not only dead ringer in looks but his voice and mannerism is nearly flawless.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #3803
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah liking the show so far, though I don't know how much someone who isn't familiar with the games would be enjoying it.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #3804
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah I have played all three and I was pulling out the Witcher wiki every so often.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #3805
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I've played 15 minutes of Witcher 3. I didn't have the time to invest in it.

I'm enjoying the show though. Though I'm sure I'm missing out on some of the insider knowledge though.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #3806
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Honestly this is one of the single greatest castings to play a fictional character that I can remember as he's not only dead ringer in looks but his voice and mannerism is nearly flawless.
This would be an interesting thread topic. Off the top of my head, Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool and JK Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson are two others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I've played 15 minutes of Witcher 3. I didn't have the time to invest in it.

I'm enjoying the show though. Though I'm sure I'm missing out on some of the insider knowledge though.
I played the first Chapter of Witcher 3, absolutely loved it, and for some reason never picked it back up in 2 years. I remember it being gorgeous, though incredibly complex.

The entire premise of The Witcher franchise intrigues me and I'm looking forward to investing in the series. Maybe it will motivate me to pick the game up again.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #3807
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

I think that's a case of casting an actor who is super close to the source material and wants to see it succeed, much like Ryan Reynolds and Deadpool or Vin Diesel and Riddick.

I think his ability to mimic Doug Cockle's rendition of the character is going to make this very easy for anyone who enjoyed the games to make a transition into this show and feel immediately invested in the character. While Triss may be different, Yen may not be the same and Dandelion may have his actual story name, Geralt makes the show easy to get into a groove with.

With all that said, Joey Batey's Jaskier/Dandelion is also fantastically accurate.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #3808
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah liking the show so far, though I don't know how much someone who isn't familiar with the games would be enjoying it.
I never played the game and I liked it. I saw one bad critics review that said it was like an expensive D&D game, I couldn't help but agree, but to me that is a compliment. It's some good old fashioned High Fantasy, not everything needs to be grounded in reality.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 06:31 AM   #3809
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Its Sack Lunch Bunch Day, YAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #3810
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Didn't like The Witcher at all, I thought Cavill played his character so Macho that it seemed more appropriate for a comedy , he kept reminding me of a bulldog in a Warner Brothers cartoon. The opening fight was decent, but it really breaks the immersion for me when the 2,000 lb Spider monster can't figure out a way to hit an unarmed guy that it has pinned underwater for 20 seconds. Then I thought the Sassy Tavern girl was a lame Trope, then I thought the rebellious princess was a lame Trope, then I turned it off. Thinking back on it, it reminded me a lot of Xena: high fantasy with impossibly good looking actors and super schlocky characters and scenarios, but it takes itself so seriously it kills any chance of it being a fun show.

Then I turned the Irishman off once I realized I paid attention to nothing other than how weird their faces looked for 15 minutes.

Then I turned off six underground after 15 minutes when it reminded me that Ryan Reynolds has only started in 3 good movies.

Damn it, Netflix.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #3811
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm giving The Witcher a genuine, honest try....but its tough.

I'm two episodes in and frankly, I barely know any of the characters, names, motivations, nothing. I dont know if it needs a re-watch or what the deal is, maybe its just one of those stories where they cycle through characters so frequently that knowing them is somewhat pointless.

Its...interesting. Somewhat. I dont know.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #3812
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Didn't like The Witcher at all, I thought Cavill played his character so Macho that it seemed more appropriate for a comedy , he kept reminding me of a bulldog in a Warner Brothers cartoon. The opening fight was decent, but it really breaks the immersion for me when the 2,000 lb Spider monster can't figure out a way to hit an unarmed guy that it has pinned underwater for 20 seconds. Then I thought the Sassy Tavern girl was a lame Trope, then I thought the rebellious princess was a lame Trope, then I turned it off. Thinking back on it, it reminded me a lot of Xena: high fantasy with impossibly good looking actors and super schlocky characters and scenarios, but it takes itself so seriously it kills any chance of it being a fun show.

Then I turned the Irishman off once I realized I paid attention to nothing other than how weird their faces looked for 15 minutes.

Then I turned off six underground after 15 minutes when it reminded me that Ryan Reynolds has only started in 3 good movies.

Damn it, Netflix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm giving The Witcher a genuine, honest try....but its tough.

I'm two episodes in and frankly, I barely know any of the characters, names, motivations, nothing. I dont know if it needs a re-watch or what the deal is, maybe its just one of those stories where they cycle through characters so frequently that knowing them is somewhat pointless.

Its...interesting. Somewhat. I dont know.
Thanks for the reviews. I suspected I wouldn’t enjoy The Witcher so I’ll give it a pass. From what I’ve read it doesn’t seem like my cup of tea.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #3813
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought The Witcher was okay but he's sorta a side character especially in later episodes. I still recommend it but go in with lowered expectations.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #3814
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Don't ###### With Cats is another good true crime documentary. It's a 3 part series on Luka Magnotta. I knew a bit about the story but it's crazier than I thought. Worth the time to watch.
Wait this is a real documentary? I watched the trailer on Netflix and thought it was one of those fake true crime things, like the one they did where the kid drew dicks all over his school.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #3815
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Wait this is a real documentary? I watched the trailer on Netflix and thought it was one of those fake true crime things, like the one they did where the kid drew dicks all over his school.
It's real. It's about Luka Magnotta.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #3816
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also glad to hear other people weren't caring for Marriage Story. We watched about 30 minutes and both weren't feeling it so didn't bother going back. Just didn't like the main characters and was thinking it was a story about normal people, not another story about Hollywood-types who can't make it work. Yawn.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #3817
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before I got sucked into burning through all 3 episodes of Dont eff with cats last night. I knew very little of Luka Magnotta other than the Karla Homolka thing. That was when I paid no more attention to the story. Going through it all last night was mind blowing.

From using the internet sleuths to fuel his narcissism (and let's be honest, he knew exactly what he was doing and was going to bait whomever would take up arms against him after killing the kitties, just happened to be the two who led us through the documentary), to the absolutely insane amount of time and work he put in to building up this online directory of himself, to the eventual realization he was living out his basic instinct fantasy. Just freaking crazy. Even had his mom completely fooled. What an insane bit of unwanted Candiana Magnotaa created.

Oh, and his how to disappear manifesto, I read that in the paper. Didnt even correlate it to that person and those events.

Anywho, fascinating documentary on all levels of crazy people.

Last edited by dammage79; 12-24-2019 at 03:50 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #3818
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Lost in Space season 2 is really good, and they really punched up the effects. Parker Posey is such a good slimy villain.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #3819
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I might be alone in that I absolutely loved Marriage Story, incredible acting and great writing. I do understand the complaints people have about it, but for me it was excellent
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #3820
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished the Witcher over the last couple days and I enjoyed it. Certainly some extra complications with trying to manage multiple POVs and timelines on top of that but it hits the fantasy and magic itch.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote