Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #41
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
"In a professional setting" is an interesting choice of words. Tell us why screaming the N-word at work makes it better.
I take that as an acknowledgement that he has used the word before, and people know this so he can’t claim otherwise, but this was only time he was caught using it at work. That he knows of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #42
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Eric Francis @EricFrancis
Brad Treliving received the letter from Peters at the same time I did and I’m told will be giving a brief statement after the game.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #43
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with those saying the apology is calculated and the words chosen carefully.

At least he’s owning it I guess. Really disappointed these past few days as I quite liked Peters and I enjoyed listening to him talk, but there is absolutely no excuse for what he said.

This isn’t a Don Cherry situation where you could argue there was some grey area, this is black and white and should (and likely will) cost him his job.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #44
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
What are you talking about? The Flames could have spoken privately to every other Chicago Wolves player on the team at the time and many of them could have said that yes Peters came in and addressed them all and apologized. You don’t know. The media doesn’t necessarily know. Dion to claim that because it’s not on twitter or in the media means it didn’t happen is ridiculous.

Please read posts thoroughly.
If you had posted that the media might not have been aware of it yet I would have possibly agreed, but you posted that the media hadn't told us yet, which more than implies they knew but were holding it back, that this was all some variation of fake news.

if you meant the media weren't aware then write that, if you meant that you think there is some vast conspiracy between players and press to screw over Peters at least own your own raving numptyhood and stand behind what you posted
Old 11-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #45
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Peters appears to be getting good legal advice.
Good legal advice
Bad PR advice

Which illustrates where his priorities are right now.
He knows he's done. He's trying to walk away with as much $$$ as he can- knowing he won't get another job that pays nearly as much ever again.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #46
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the apology overall, although the fact that it didn't mention Akim at all is weird. I feel that it shouldn't make a shred of difference in regards tow hat happens next but I do like that he didn't try and deny anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Feels written by his lawyers. Please sign at the bottom.
My first thought as well.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #47
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would think once the guy admits he used the language the attacks on Aliu would stop but now its "Okay, fine Aliu told the truth about the N word but he's possibly lied about being apologized to."

Stop defending the racist.

Cool, you wanted to wait for facts. You got them now. Bill Peters used a vile derogatory term towards a black player. Who cares about anything else? Fire the piece of ####, get him away from the organization as quickly as possible with hopefully as little money going towards Peters as you can.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:24 PM   #48
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
You would think once the guy admits he used the language the attacks on Aliu would stop but now its "Okay, fine Aliu told the truth about the N word but he's possibly lied about being apologized to."

Stop defending the racist.

Cool, you wanted to wait for facts. You got them now. Bill Peters used a vile derogatory term towards a black player. Who cares about anything else? Fire the piece of ####, get him away from the organization as quickly as possible.
We don't know that this letter is real yet. I mean it's on CP posted by a stranger on the internet from a random iPhone Do you trust that??

I want to see the real letter in my hand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #49
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Good legal advice
Bad PR advice

Which illustrates where his priorities are right now.
He knows he's done. He's trying to walk away with as much $$$ as he can- knowing he won't get another job that pays nearly as much ever again.
Reputation repair comes after personal security.

I agree with your assessment though, wrote as much yesterday.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #50
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I don’t want him as our coach.

Setting that aside, is there no road to redemption for anyone anymore? A letter is not enough, but if he committed himself to some legit wokeness training and changing his approach forever for the better would he still be cast away?
To me, that is something you answer after he has done all those things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #51
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
If you had posted that the media might not have been aware of it yet I would have possibly agreed, but you posted that the media hadn't told us yet, which more than implies they knew but were holding it back, that this was all some variation of fake news.

if you meant the media weren't aware then write that, if you meant that you think there is some vast conspiracy between players and press to screw over Peters at least own your own raving numptyhood and stand behind what you posted
If I meant there was some vast conspiracy why didn’t I write that instead? Hmmm. You chose the direction you did to interpret what you read.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #52
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Eric Francis @EricFrancis
Brad Treliving received the letter from Peters at the same time I did and I’m told will be giving a brief statement after the game.
"Here's my statement, boss. Also, I've CC'd a member of the media who is literally on air as I send this."

I wanna hear what Tree thinks of this.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #53
KPat99
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The more I read and see the more I see him being fired as the only option. This apology really seals it for me as it feels disingenuous at best. Sending it to the press and his boss at the same time while making no mention of apologizing directly to the individual affected just rings hollow. The fact that many witness statements seem to be contradictory to his claims in this letter is just more to pile on. I also can't understand making no reference at all to the more recent stories of him stepping out of line. I actually really liked him as a coach for the most part and listening to him speak after games but he absolutely needs to go. I can't imagine seeing his face after games going forward after this and being ok with it as a fan supporting this team.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #54
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
We don't know that this letter is real yet. I mean it's on CP posted by a stranger on the internet from a random iPhone Do you trust that??

It's by Sureloss. I'll take it as real.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #55
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I don’t want him as our coach.

Setting that aside, is there no road to redemption for anyone anymore? A letter is not enough, but if he committed himself to some legit wokeness training and changing his approach forever for the better would he still be cast away?
I get it. I like to preach forgiveness, especially in terms of rehabilitation when it comes to the justice system.

But he had 10+ years to reach out and make amends. He didn't. Aliu is still clearly affected by Peters actions, as he has every right to be, and Peters didn't do ####.

He's sorry this came to light, he's not sorry he did it. I mean, a heartfelt apologize when it first came out could have gone a long way even if his lawyer would have hated it. Waiting to see if there was any other people who would have collaborated his story, then have his document written by his legal team, and then sending it to the media without apologizing to Aliu? It's obvious where his priorities lay and they aren't with trying to be respectful to Aliu,

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 11-27-2019 at 07:31 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #56
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

McKenzie tweeted it.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #57
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Huh, the Flames and their representatives have probably spoken to as many people they can that were around the Chicago Wolves at the time of the incident. This is not about what is presented in the media anymore.
Agreed with the first sentence. But I mean, we are talking on a thread regarding a new development released through the media so I would say there’s very much an aspect of media/PR involved for the coach and the team.

For Peters, this is not just about the current job but also his ability to ever coach in the NHL again (edit: and obviously, also his nature of release when the inevitable happens). I do trust that the Flames are making their decision well beyond what is happening in the public media, while still being sensitive to the optics of the situation.

Last edited by PugnaciousIntern; 11-27-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #58
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

lame ass "apology". Also, how do you send the same thing to the media? Get out of this club already.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #59
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sending the letter to the media at the same time as treliving is combative.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #60
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post

Are you one of those people who won't believe the Earth is round because you have not been in space to see it?
Closed Thread