Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 11-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #121
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
My goodness.

80+ point wingers are not "complimentary pieces"

With all those problems it's amazing they managed 50 wins last year.

I agree though that they are weak down the middle, and so does Treliving, which is why he tried to acquire Kadri I guess. Too bad the little #### wouldn't waive his NTC.

That's been magnified by having Backlund's offensive game fall off a cliff this season. Not mention instead of Jankowski taking a step forward he seems to have taken about 20 steps backwards. Possibly butt hurt because he knows he was traded this past off season.

My biggest beef with Treliving is that he didn't go out and acquire ROR when he was made available. That was a huge miss. A key, cost controlled core piece that would have fit like a round peg in a gaping round hole this roster happens to have. It also would have come with the added bonus of no James Neal signing.

ROR = no James Neal = no Milan Lucic
Agreed on the ROR front. With what St. Louis got him for (hell, with what Buffalo got him for), gah what a missed opportunity. Centre depth of O’Reilly, Monahan, Backlund, and Ryan? That’s formidable.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #122
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We don't know if Treliving had talks with the Sabres on ROR. Isn't Treliving the GM that is always working the phones etc anyway.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #123
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Wow what a train wreck of a post.
Ah, if you replace "Treliving" with "Clagary Flames franchise going back 30 years", it is fine. Bubbsy finally cracked up and vented - if you have been following this team since the 80's, you cannot avoid a break-down.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #124
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Agreed on the ROR front. With what St. Louis got him for (hell, with what Buffalo got him for), gah what a missed opportunity. Centre depth of O’Reilly, Monahan, Backlund, and Ryan? That’s formidable.
I believe Backlund would have been going the other way just like his Swedish counterpart Berglund did but the point still stands he would have been a massive upgrade
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #125
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
According to whom?
Life.

Close doesn't count.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #126
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
My goodness.

80+ point wingers are not "complimentary pieces"
On most cup winning teams, they are. Patrick Kane. That concludes the list of exceptions. Even Ovy didn't break through until the Caps had two legit Cs.

This team most closely resembles Blackhawks teams (average+ goaltending, great defence, elite wingers, very good centers). The problems are that Gaudreau is not Kane (certainly not in April, let alone May/June). Between them, Tkachuk/Lindholm might have the potential to come close to Toews/Hossa, though it would really help if Lindholm actually played C. Monahan offers similar production to Sharp, but nowhere near as versatile. Perhaps most importantly, the Blackhawks always had another 4-5 guys who played at a level similar to Backlund. We have...Backlund. Every other Flames forward would struggle to crack the Hawks' 4th line.

Lastly, I don't feel strongly one way or the other on Peters, but it seems unlikely that he is as good as Quenneville.

Of course, comparing them to the greatest team of this decade isn't necessarily fair, but they are really the only team to have lifted the cup with average+ goaltending and a 3W+1C core (Sharp being a faux C like Lindholm). With a much stronger middle 6, our core 4F might actually be able to rise to the level of the Hawks 4F, but it's basically to impossible to conjure up ~4 more good forwards out of nowhere.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #127
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
To be frank, I blame this GM for entire fall of this year's team result.

A team struggled since the all star break, got their ass kicked in the playoffs. I don't care that you tried but failed due to things like player NtC's, etc.

Flames were a top team at the deadline, the GM does nothing but add a #6/7 dman at the deadline.

Team gets whooped in a laughable manner, and the GM trades Neal for Lucic, and adds Talbot.

What message does that share with the roster??? It's all good enough? We don't actually intend to win anything meaningful, let's just hope for regular season success??

Treliving is kind of an idiot. It's clear he's got zero people management skills whatsoever. I get that he tried to make moves, but there's gotta be plan B's to allow for change for the sake of making change to a group that got their ass kicked.

Management basically telling the team "we're going with you, you'll do it" despite the players realizing the team ain't close to getting it done come crunch time, is equivalent to saying "meh, it's good enough, just get to the playoffs again". Not to mention having your intended trades leaked, so when they don't go thru, you are stuck with players knowing they aren't even wanted here.

The more I write it out, the more I realize that Brad Treliving is a dumb gm. Good riddance, you f'ing suck man. Go make pizza's or something, this isn't a gig for you.
Stay Golden hacked your account.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #128
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Stay Golden hacked your account.
Not enough mentions of "Bradley" for it to be Stay Golden
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iLoveLamp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #129
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Re: last couple pages
You guys like to cycle through the same negative points quite frequently. It's honestly cringey to read through. It would make sense if it was different people but it's the same posters repeating themselves for whatever reason.

It is what it is, beating the team/city down further with the old go to exaggerations (No one wants to play here! Oldest building!) is pretty unnecessary and yet people like to go to that well a lot.

Reel it in a bit, or take a break, is what I'd suggest.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #130
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Re: last couple pages
You guys like to cycle through the same negative points quite frequently. It's honestly cringey to read through. It would make sense if it was different people but it's the same posters repeating themselves for whatever reason.

It is what it is, beating the team/city down further with the old go to exaggerations (No one wants to play here! Oldest building!) is pretty unnecessary and yet people like to go to that well a lot.

Reel it in a bit, or take a break, is what I'd suggest.
“You guys”?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #131
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
“You guys”?
You people.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #132