Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #21
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Yeah, but those are the fake Tkachuks they make in China and sell on sketchy websites.
Flames throw in Bennett thinking it was a steal only to find out it was a fake. Flames fans throw a Vancouver riot!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #22
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
He wasn't going to sign long term in Calgary. Pretty clear Tre got that impression. Paying that price didn't make sense last February.

If Tre turned down a trade that included a long term signed Mark Stone, I would be thoroughly shocked.
By all reports, Tree backed away when Vegas came in with Brannstrom and Ottawa wanted Valimaki in response.

Tree was never going to spend the assets required to get Stone without signing him. This whole “Stone was never going to sign here” narrative is an after the fact thing.

At the time of the deal, Maloney said they went to bed the night before the deadline believing they had a deal done - and if Valimaki wasn’t included (it didn’t sound like he was), it was going to be a significant futures spend (1st+++), and Tree’s MO has always been no rentals at that cost.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #23
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^That was according to one poster on this site, nothing was ever confirmed about Stone signing here. That would have been negotiable without any guarantee. The issue was twofold, according to Burke and common mathematics they could not fit Stone under the cap for this year, on top of that some say that Stone preferred Vegas as a destination.

On top of that Treliving said he was not going to give them Valamaki, he never said anything about that being a long term deal or a rental. I would assume, based on the other facts that it would have been a rental deal. Look long and hard on the web and see if you can find anything on a contract offer from the Flames to Stone, it would be something that would have happened in the summer if they had acquired him as a rental.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
By all reports, Tree backed away when Vegas came in with Brannstrom and Ottawa wanted Valimaki in response.

Tree was never going to spend the assets required to get Stone without signing him. This whole “Stone was never going to sign here” narrative is an after the fact thing.

At the time of the deal, Maloney said they went to bed the night before the deadline believing they had a deal done - and if Valimaki wasn’t included (it didn’t sound like he was), it was going to be a significant futures spend (1st+++), and Tree’s MO has always been no rentals at that cost.
Well, we don't know if he was willing, but we sure know what it would have cost, which for sure was an issue, with Tkachuk still outstanding.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #25
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would do Gaudreau for Brady in a heartbeat.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cowtown75 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #26
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown75 View Post
I would do Gaudreau for Brady in a heartbeat.
The Sens would not. They are a young team on the build, why on Earth would they do that with no security JG does not bolt when he is a free agent?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #27
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gadreau valimaki and a first
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #28
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
People talk about the Mark Stone trade because the Flames were in on him and then refused to pay the price to get an elite piece. It’s talked about as a point of criticism, not as a possibility.
But that's not what happened
Old 11-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #29
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The Sens would not. They are a young team on the build, why on Earth would they do that with no security JG does not bolt when he is a free agent?
Fair enough. However, Johnny is only what, 26 ? and still 3 more years on a sweetheart deal. In 3 years time, there is no guarantee Brady will want to remain in Ottawa once he is off of his ELC. I don't think there is a guarantee either way for Ottawa.

Last edited by cowtown75; 11-20-2019 at 05:56 PM.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cowtown75 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #30
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I’m not so sure the Sens would turn up their noses on Gaudreau for Tkachuk and in general some of the proposals being tossed around on this site I think are vastly underrating Gaudreau. Personally I think this is the type of deal that could make sense for Calgary. Brady is not proven yet and from a contract perspective will want huge bucks if he continues to develop the way everybody wants him to. Whereas Gaudreau comes with a fantastic contract and is what, the best or near the best LW in the game? Will B Tkachuk even develop into anything close to Gaudreau? I’m guessing not. It’s not that ludicrous a proposal as I could see Ottawa viewing that as a huge win.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #31
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

There is no chance in hell the Sens do Tkachuk for Gaudreau. And that's not to dismiss Gaudreau's value.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #32
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
There is no chance in hell the Sens do Tkachuk for Gaudreau. And that's not to dismiss Gaudreau's value.
Why do you think that?

I think Brady is getting a little overblown on this site. He has 7 goals. He looks promising, but this isn’t Gretzky we are talking about and again, contract status comes into play. Sure, the Sens I’m sure view him as a guy you can build around but so is Gaudreau and it could accelerate your rebuild. They have other good young pieces as well they can keep.

What are your thoughts?
Old 11-20-2019, 07:33 PM   #33
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Why do you think that?

I think Brady is getting a little overblown on this site. He has 7 goals. He looks promising, but this isn’t Gretzky we are talking about and again, contract status comes into play. Sure, the Sens I’m sure view him as a guy you can build around but so is Gaudreau and it could accelerate your rebuild. They have other good young pieces as well they can keep.

What are your thoughts?
The Senators aren't going to be competing for at least 3 seasons. At that point Gaudreau will be on the decline while Brady will be a much bigger, but possibly slightly less skilled version of his brother. Brady's 6'4" 212 lbs now and he's not even close to filling out his body yet. He's going to dominate the front of the net when he does and score the kind of goals you need to win in the playoffs.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #34
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Maybe? Possibly? Hopefully for Ottawa? In fact there’s probably a greater than 50% chance Gaudreau is still better than Tkachuk in 3 years.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:31 AM   #35
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not trading an Art Ross caliber talent for Brady Tkachuk lmao. Monahan, sure though.

Then draft Byfield.

Gaudreau - Byfield - B. Tkachuk
M. Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:20 AM   #36
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Not trading an Art Ross caliber talent for Brady Tkachuk lmao. Monahan, sure though.

Then draft Byfield.

Gaudreau - Byfield - B. Tkachuk
M. Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
I’ll have what he’s having
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:46 AM   #37
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Maybe? Possibly? Hopefully for Ottawa? In fact there’s probably a greater than 50% chance Gaudreau is still better than Tkachuk in 3 years.

Johnny may be better at that time, but there’s a much better than 50% chance he’s playing out east by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #38
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

To get Brady I'd be willing to go any of the following in combination: (value)

Monahan
Kylington
Brodie
Hamonic
Bennett
2nd/3rd round picks
Phillips
Pelltier
Zag
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
To get Brady I'd be willing to go any of the following in combination: (value)

Monahan
Kylington
Brodie
Hamonic
Bennett
2nd/3rd round picks
Phillips
Pelltier
Zag
Monahan as a #1 centre is debatable, and has been debated a lot. But Tkachuk sure isn't one, leaving you with Lindholm, who has never done it, or Backlund, who is a 2/3.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #40
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Monahan as a #1 centre is debatable, and has been debated a lot. But Tkachuk sure isn't one, leaving you with Lindholm, who has never done it, or Backlund, who is a 2/3.
Too soon to know what Brady will be, I'll give you that.
But between Brady and Lindholm I think we're okay, then we address the center depth at the draft.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote