Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #21
Skyceman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just to note that the exact wording from Dreger in that clip was:

"I don't think that the player liked how the conversation went" which is really just Dreger's opinion and "spin" which he often likes to do.
Skyceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #22
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I have not heard anything positive about the way Peter's treats his players, but I have heard he is Keenan esque in how he tries to 'motivate' players.

Basically singles out a well liked player in the room and gives them a permanent seat in his dog house. Unites the guys by rallying around how much they all dislike him.
Not saying you're wrong, but who on this team has been treated that way?

From a normal fan perspective it seems like the opposite where guys are getting away with anything and always guaranteed their line positions and minutes. There's very little "doghousing" by the look of things.

Frolik is the only obvious example that seems to fit what you're mentioned.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #23
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have not been happy with BT's coaching hires. Neither of those 2 have proven anything in this league.

I still think that BT found something that he deemed unacceptable about Hartley in the exit interviews moreso than the players running him out of town. With his past track record, I think that is quite plausible.

Hartley was the only one of the three coaches that has ever accomplished anything significant at the NHL level-and he got results out of the weakest lineup that any of these three coaches had in Calgary.

I still think the Flames need to ditch the moneyball coaching theory and should have hired one of the proven winners that was available rather than going off the board.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #24
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In the recent interview of Peters posted here, when he starts talking in a cartoony voice and adds googly eyes to emphasize that everything starts with defence I instantly felt that if my boss talked to me like that I’d feel to some extent he is mocking my potential difference of opinion. From a hockey strategy perspective I believe defence 1st is broadly correct, but the Flames have been their relative (to the rest of the NHL) best when they played more offensively aggressive. This team has the horses to win you run & gun hockey games, but Peters may be stifling what our competitive advantage is with suffocating defensive priorities, lack of leash for systematic creativity. That said, I hope the dressing room sorts itself out internally and go on a run to shut all the Negative Nancy’s up.

Last edited by Freddy; 11-19-2019 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Tried for more accurate articulation
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #25
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

We should’ve hired Dave Tippett. I like Peters though. Just concerns me what we are seeing
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #26
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
I still think the Flames need to ditch the moneyball coaching theory and should have hired one of the proven winners that was available rather than going off the board.
Agreed, Flames priorities should've been a proven goalie and a proven coach.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #27
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default TSN: Peters status. Shake up trade. Hamonic's future

Never have I been a Hamonic fan. Was terrible in the playoffs along with most. Trade was an overpayment hasn’t been worth it. Trade him regardless of playoff position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #28
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol.

Would anyone here really know a good or bad NHL coach if he walked up and punched them in the gut? Guys here talking about Gulutzan like they can spot a capable coach.
The fact is, the common trend with this team and its coaches is the players play well for the first year and then mail it in the next and the coach pays the price.

This is on the players top to bottom. Peter's led us to a Western Conference title and we saw a major individual trophy out of it as well.

The Flames need to pull a Winnipeg and cement Peters' position and the players can fit in or #### off
DropIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #29
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
I think Hamonic is under appreciated on this forum.

He hasn't been great this year but he isn't alone in that category.

What he doesn't bring in terms of foot speed he makes up for in hockey smarts (again not counting a handful of games this year where the entire team has been awful). He broke his jaw a year ago sticking up for a player, blocks a lot of high danger shots and is the only D man besides Rasmus who makes a point of getting between a forward and our goalie after whistles.

I am not sure what the advanced stats say and I am not saying I want to see him extended to a big contract but at the time of the trade, he was exactly what Calgary needed. When we discuss what the flames are in need of, Tre often delivers. Unfortunately, what we think heading into the regular season hasn't often transpired on the ice and I am not sure Tre is to fault for that.
He provides some intangibles but my guess is he wants too much money if his reaction was poor.

He provides nothing offensively, and his defensive play is declining.

He was the wrong player to spend a 1st and 2 seconds on at the time (look at the difference of value between him and Hamilton) and they shouldn’t re-sign him just to double down on the trade.

Move him out and recoup what assets you can
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #30
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
In the recent interview of Peters posted here, when he starts talking in a cartoony voice and adds googly eyes to emphasize that everything starts with defence I instantly felt that if my boss talked to me like that I’d feel to some extent he is mocking my potential difference of opinion. From a hockey strategy perspective I believe defence 1st is broadly correct, but the Flames have been their relative (to the rest of the NHL) best when they played more offensively aggressive. This team has the horses to win you run & gun hockey games, but Peters may be stifling what our competitive advantage is with suffocating defensive priorities, lack of leash for systematic creativity. That said, I hope the dressing room sorts itself out internally and go on a run to shut all the Negative Nancy’s up.
What a brutal interview...

something along the lines of

"We know we have to play good defense, defensively, and do offens... er a defense play leads to good offense play and we gotta tighten up in the defensive end and that will lead to good offense."

Hard to listen to. Just babbling.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #31
Skyceman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure this all falls on Peters shoulders. Is the coach to blame for the team not putting the puck in the net? Or for taking stupid penalties or not trying hard on every shift?
Skyceman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyceman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #32
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL... this team has the worst leadership group if they are now not playing hard for Peters...

how many coaches can they run out of town?
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #33
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyceman View Post
Not sure this all falls on Peters shoulders. Is the coach to blame for the team not putting the puck in the net? Or for taking stupid penalties or not trying hard on every shift?
Its Trelivings job to ship out the soft, mentally weak players like Gaudreau and Monahan.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #34
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is Hamonic's problem? He felt he was low balled on a contract extension?

I'm thinking it's time to trade him at the deadline even if the team is in a playoff position.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #35
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
The Flames need to pull a Winnipeg and cement Peters' position and the players can fit in or #### off
That's kinda my viewpoint. Peter's may actually not be a good coach, but then again, he may be.

With how often coaches have been changed over the past several years, I think at this point you gotta stick with him, and ensure some stability behind the bench to instill a culture to the team.

If he's a hard ass and it doesn't respond well to certain players, then you move those players, and bring in those who will be willing to work up to his standards. Make the coach the commander of the team, and no player is above him.

I'm sure lots of players don't like playing with Bill Belichick. But I'm sure they don't mind knowing that season in, season out, they will be one of the best teams in the league, and have the strongest chance of winning the Super Bowl. If they don't do what's asked of the coach, they won't be part of the team.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #36
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Its Trelivings job to ship out the soft, mentally weak players like Gaudreau and Monahan.
I refuse to believe Monahan is the mentally weak one. Dudes a freaking trooper. Are we so short sighted we have forgotten what he has gone through for this team?
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #37
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyceman View Post
Exactly. This exact same team finished first place last year. Gotta place most of the blame on the players IMO.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #38
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
What is Hamonic's problem? He felt he was low balled on a contract extension?

I'm thinking it's time to trade him at the deadline even if the team is in a playoff position.
Hamonic reminds me of Glencross in the sense that he was once underpaid and now feels entitled to cash in. In the meantime, the game has changed, and he might have a hard time finding a gig next summer. Terrible trade - try to salvage what you can by flipping him for picks.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #39
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I refuse to believe Monahan is the mentally weak one. Dudes a freaking trooper. Are we so short sighted we have forgotten what he has gone through for this team?
Then he is being carried by the mentally weak, which isnt much better.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #40
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeezuz, last year Peter's was a steal and a genius. This year he is Mr Magoo? Doesn't compute.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post: