Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #41
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree with the position of the OP but it does raise an interesting point: how much do other (i.e. non-hockey) circumstances affect the play of certain players, and the team as a whole. People talk about the chemistry and culture of a locker room -- that can't solely be based on what happens out on the ice.

Without naming specific players and having this degrade into a discussion of their personal lives, I'm curious what the impact of:

- becoming a new dad
- getting a new girlfriend
- living in a city you don't like
- past or future contract negotiations

has on a player's performance. To suggest it has no impact seems unlikely IMO...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #42
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
If you are in your 20s and making millions per year Calgary is like near the bottom of all nhl destinations not named Edmonton Winnipeg or Ottawa. Dormant vegetation and road gravel half the year. Usually windy. And convertible season is like 2 weeks.

That depends though. You are a 20 year old millionaire who also happens to love hockey. I think a lot of players would rather play in a packed house in front of rabid fans who know and love the game.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #43
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
That depends though. You are a 20 year old millionaire who also happens to love hockey. I think a lot of players would rather play in a packed house in front of rabid fans who know and love the game.
I’m not sure, outside of few and far between playoff moments, that many would play in the Dome and think “wow, this rabid fan base loves the game.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: