Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #41
Flames67
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don’t think acquiring top 10 picks is going to be that easy at all
How often has a top 10 or 5 pick been dealt in the last decade?
Ottawa
Flames67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #42
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames67 View Post
Ottawa
It was an unprotected pick but not a known top 10 pick when it was dealt.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #43
hansmoleman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We didn’t suck for long enough and are still missing another top end piece. The only way to get that extra piece and keep our core is by drafting high. We aren’t winning the cup this year so I’d rather pack it in and get a top ten pick, rather than squeak into playoffs and loss first round and get a mid to late 1st rd pick.

I would do this:
Trade the expiring UFAs for picks
Trade the old guys that will suck when we are actually competing in 2-3 years
Get a real friggen goalie
Make Lucic captain
Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #44
hansmoleman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I would also like to see more pokestops in the Saddledome
Old 11-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #45
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

In order of greatest want:
Alexander Holtz
Quinton Byfield
Anton Lundell

Lafreniere. Would be funny to get him and his line mate big Z on the same team.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #46
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansmoleman View Post
We didn’t suck for long enough and are still missing another top end piece. The only way to get that extra piece and keep our core is by drafting high. We aren’t winning the cup this year so I’d rather pack it in and get a top ten pick, rather than squeak into playoffs and loss first round and get a mid to late 1st rd pick.

I would do this:
Trade the expiring UFAs for picks
Trade the old guys that will suck when we are actually competing in 2-3 years
Get a real friggen goalie
Make Lucic captain
We sucked long enough, problem is our 4th overall pick turned into a 3rd line grinding winger instead of an elite #1 center. Which happens to be the biggest hole on the roster.

Too bad our scouting staff didn't have the foresight to pick Brayden Point instead of Hunter Smith.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #47
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
In order of greatest want:
Alexander Holtz
Quinton Byfield
Anton Lundell

Lafreniere. Would be funny to get him and his line mate big Z on the same team.
Thing thats so impressive about Byfield is hes an Aug birthday and is a couple months away from being a 2021 draft pick. How's his skating?
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #48
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Thing thats so impressive about Byfield is hes an Aug birthday and is a couple months away from being a 2021 draft pick. How's his skating?
Tough to read YouTube highlights really. Hes fast, his break out speed seems to come from nowhere. But hes a swimmer. He uses his upper body a lot like he is swimming. Honestly, hes a big fast player with a ton of skill in the OHL. I dont know how to read his skating, but he knows how to get to spots and produce.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #49
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless the team is a bonafide contender I find the rebuilds more interesting than the droll mundane mid pack seasons. I’m not saying a rebuild should start this year, but if it did I’d be on board for that.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #50
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

No win for Quinton?

Good teams miss the playoffs every year. If things keep going the way they have been, and the Flames get a little lucky (for once in franchise history) with the lottery, it could be a good thing in the short and long term for this team.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #51
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don’t think acquiring top 10 picks is going to be that easy at all
How often has a top 10 or 5 pick been dealt in the last decade?
Its definitely not common. #9 for Schneider in 2013 comes to mind as one.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #52
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You'll get your wish, but you'll be watching a basement team for a long time before they ever get a chance at being good, and maybe never.

Just look at the Sabres for example. Since 2013 they've been 8th in their division 4 of 6 seasons, with one season of 7th, and one season of 6th (last year).

They've had Jack Eichel (a franchise center and 2nd only to McDavid) since 2015, but they've had little success as a team. Funnily enough, they tanked super, super hard that year only to lose the draft lottery to Edmonton. It's never a guarantee. They got lucky that they only dropped one spot and still landed Eichel.

In their worst tanking years they had seasons of 48, 52, and 54 points, and they only broke 80 points once since 2013. Are you honestly going to stick with a team through a stretch like that? I call B.S.

The whole premise is stupid. No team should actively try to lose because the process of team building is so uncertain.

Look at the Bruins. Pastrnak was drafted 25th overall. Bergeron was drafted in the 2nd round. Marchand was drafted in the 3rd round. Rask was drafted 21st overall by Toronto. That's 4 of the best players in the game drafted after 20th.

Tanking isn't the answer. Good long-term drafting, trading, and free agent signing is the only answer. Unfortunately, that has a lot of variables involved, making it a somewhat random process as well.

Basically, there's no simple solution to team building. If there was, it would be obvious and every team would do it.
Like what you said, never go full Oiler - which is great! However, like winning the Lotto Max, you have to at least try to get yourself to be lucky. The only difference between the way Oilers, Sabres, and Avs tankings is that Oilers broke the bank and won the biggest jackpot ever on back to back years or picking up 2-franchise players! You can look back in history and look at the Pens for doing that. For the Caps, they've pretty much did the same thing and had pretty successful teams building with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

If you look at the Sabres and the Avs, Sabres got Eichel and Avs got McKinnon - for these teams, they don't have their other wingman like what Oilers and Pens got. So, the process continues. I would almost say that with all the Oilers picks that they had, their teams could've been really could had they not have some attitude and leadership problems. Getting Draisaitl and McDavid changed all that as the organization knew that they can't f-up a once-in-a-lifetime jackpot.

Also, the lottery system changed after the McDavid sweepstakes, but the chances are still good to get the top 3 or 5 picks. If you're unlucky (forgot who it was - the Senators???) where a team drop several spots down. However, if the draft for that year is deep, it's not a problem. But if a draft year is skimpy on high end talent and you have a generational player that comes around every 20-30 years, you damn right you should tank unless you know your team is good enough to win the cup within the next couple of year. For a team like the Flames to say they don't need a McDavid or a Draisaitl to build from the bottom is pure BS, IMO! If any organization has the right mind to want to build to their best extent and was giving the opportunity to do so, then do it! The worst thing you can do is build from mediocre and end up in being mediocre for a longer period of time. The Flames had every opportunity to tank that year for the McDavid sweepstakes, but instead, they unexpectedly did well after a couple years of rebuild and went into the playoffs only to be devastated by the Ducks. Half of the teams in the NHL that year positioned themselves to see if they can get a shot at McDavid.

Sure, you can use the example of the Bruins getting their talents from later round picks as well. They've made some key moves and some that costed them a few years (Thorton trade) as well. It all comes down to management of assets. However, in managing those assets, you need to get in position to acquire the assets that's required to build a successful team. Without good potential assets, acquiring other assets may be more difficult. This is why it's good to be lucky and lucky to be good and you always try to get to be lucky by putting yourself in the right place at the right time in order to be lucky. If that means tanking to the bottom, you do it! Managing assets sometimes required good moves and sometime bold moves. Good example is Cliff Fletcher getting guys like Mullen for a bag of pucks, Ramage for Hull and Bozek, or Gilmour and Mark Hunter for Mike Bullard. That was pretty awesome wizardry and unloading of good and bad assets to become great! Treliving is not so bad in the current day, but if he would've been brave unloaded Bennett early instead of holding on that potential, I think the Flames might have been in a better position going forward.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote