Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default A very odd computer issue I'm having

My gaming rig is plugged into a UPS. I also run dual GeForce GTX 460's run in SLI mode. My game of choice atm is FarCry3. Every now and again, Nvidia will automatically update my vid card drivers and in the process, disable SLI. A few weeks back during a round of FC3 I noticed the fans on the cards were running much louder than normal. Checked the Nvidia control panel and sure enough, there must have been an update as SLI was disabled.

No problem, re-enable and jump back in the game. Within 5 mins of doing so, an alarm started going off on my UPS. Couldn't imagine why it was doing that is the only time I've heard the alarm before was during a poweroutage. So I get under my desk to see what the hell the issue was and before I could figure it out, the UPS shut down my entire system. Circuit breaker wasn't tripped so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Turned everything back on an tried again. Just like before, after a few mins the alarm went off but I jumped under my desk immediately and as far as I can tell, it was signaling over voltage. I should mention that shortly after leaving the game, the alarm stops.

I figured maybe the UPS was failing so I swapped it with one that my server and other items connect to that is able to support more electronics hoping that would solve it. Nope, same thing happens on that one too.

I'm hesitant to bypass both UPS's and just plug it into the wall in case there is a problem with over voltage.

This ONLY happened after re-activating SLI after what I can only assume was an update. I have run this game numerous times in the past with SLI enabled. I have not overclocked them. Running whatever drivers the control panel automatically installs in the background.

Any thoughts on this? I do miss playing FC3.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 05-15-2013 at 06:31 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Drivers may have done something weird to your power draw in SLI during gaming. Do you have a good PSU?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Do you have a good PSU?
Yes, I don't recall which one I bought TBH as it was over 3 yrs ago but I always put a few bucks into making sure I have a quality PSU. It's more than able to keep up with hardware demands.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 05-15-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a chance the cards were overclocked? I'd suggest you roll your drivers back, turn off auto-update and test it out.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Get a power meter and see what your total PC power draw is at the wall when idle and when gaming.

Something like a Kill-A-Watt
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turns out it was the driver. Checked the Nvidia website and another driver was available. Downloaded and installed, issue did not reappear.