Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #21
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the iPhone app on my old 3G. Although I don't use it daily, it is nice to have and I would say that it is worth $30. Like everything else on the 3G, the app has become a bit sluggish in the menus, etc., but this is more due to the hardware than anything else. The video quality is actually quite good, however, even over the cell network.

The bit rate for video over the 3G network (I believe) is a minimum of 150 kbps for "standard quality" which isn't too bad, or 500 kbps for "high quality" which is pretty damn sharp and smooth. You have the option to disable HQ and you can toggle between the two on the fly. I think that the actual bandwidth used is mostly dependent on the quality of the data signal, but I believe that the stream is also optimized based on the smaller screen size (could be wrong). As you would expect, you have full control over your cable box, so you can change channels, watch recordings, pause, etc. The menus are semi-transparent and are laid over top of the screen. You can even get a 4-way navigation button for working your way through menus. There is a bit of a lag (slightly longer than the desktop Sling Player) for your actions to be reflected on screen, but nothing to fret about.

I just started my iPhone app over 3G and from app launch to video streaming it took about 30 seconds. I would expect that a 3GS or 4 model would be considerably faster. Over wifi it started up in about 20 seconds, and the quality is even better. If you are on the same network as your Slingbox (at home in bed, for example), the quality is best.

My only gripe about the app itself is that the developers took away the "audio only" mode. As with the desktop version, you used to be able to stream just the audio from a program, which is a lot easier on the battery and bandwidth. Although it may seem strange to just want the audio, it was actually great for listening to sports while driving that were available on TV but not via internet radio (English soccer, for example). Also, music or talk-centric programs where you don't need/want the video, but you'd like to listen along in the car. Unfortunately the people at Sling haven't said why they removed it or if we'll ever get to see it again.

The app definitely comes in handy if you're out of town and you want to catch the Flames game, but you don't have your laptop with you. Or you can watch some highlights just to kill a few minutes while waiting for someone. It does drain the battery a bit, especially over 3G. I have the 1 gig data plan and I have never exceeded my quota, although I don't watch it all of the time. It is good for the odd game (or portion of one) where you're stuck somewhere, but if you were using it daily over the cell network, you'd quickly eat up your monthly cap.

I have watched local sports, news, etc. overseas as well, as long as you can find wifi at your hotel or at a coffee shop. So, long windedness aside, I'd buy it again. It was hard to justify that much for an app initially, but even just from occasional use, I feel that it has been worth it for me.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #22
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

That's awesome Jimmy- thank you so much for the post! Greatly appreciated!

The one problem with the reviews on the App Store- a lot of them give 1 star because of the price, or the removing of the audio only mode. And I get how the audio mode would be good. There have been a few Sundays when we are out running errands, and it would be good to here the audio from the football game. I have XM so I am OK for hockey.

It's really good to know that there is an option to switch between standard and high quality- that really makes me feel better. I haven't found a way to adjust the bitrate with regular streaming; I just see the numbers going higher and higher.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #23
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

What type of iPhone will you be using it on? The 3G will provide a bit of frustration, but it still works quite well. I can only imagine that the 3GS and the 4 will be smooth like butter.

The price is high, but when you think about being able to watch your cable box pretty much anywhere, it helps to justify it. I was watching some Liverpool vs. Wolverhampton in bed this morning.

The audio only mode was an unexpected feature that I grew to like, and it appears that many other users feel the same way. You can still turn off your screen and just listen to the audio (through your car speakers, for example), but in my tests, you're still streaming the full video stream so it will obviously go through your bandwidth and battery pretty quickly. Bu then again, apps like TuneIn Radio, satellite radio, etc. make you less dependent on such a feature because you can often pick up a proper radio stream that is pretty lightweight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #24
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

I have the 3GS- so from what your experiences are on the 3G I think I'm safe to assume mine will be as good or better.

I'm just on hold right now; I think I'm going to upgrade to the 6 GB data plan. That way I can be sure I am safe for data use. The North America 1 GB plan sounds good; but it's $45/ month instead of $30 for the Canada 6 GB.

And just got off the phone with Bell. Because my plan is a corporate plan I can't get the 6 GB of data. I could go to a personal plan; but that raises my bill by about $30 instead of $5. Looks like my only option is to go with 1 GB for an extra $10 per month.

Never fails- it seems I can never do anything the easy way.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #25
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What I don't like is that I have to buy an Iphone app as well as an Ipad app. Thats 50 bucks just to set it up! Damn you slingbox! You are getting up there with mlb.tv in taking all my money
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #26
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do any of you guys with the slingbox have the latest Shaw Cable internet speeds? I got in on the "Gateway" promo and my internet will have the following specs
  • Up to 50 Mbps download speed
  • Up to 3 Mbps upload speed
  • 400 GB monthly transfer limit
  • 10 email addresses
  • 2 IP addresses
  • Shaw Wi-Fi Modem
I'm thinking of buying the Slingbox HD for teh house so I can watch the Flames games on the inlaws TV in Invermere without them having to buy Centre Ice.

Can someone in the know tell me if this is enought speeds to be worth purchasing the Slingbox.

Thanks,
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #27
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes even on old shaw it isn't that bad to watch. The slingbox specs they post are for best results. It works either way just fine
Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #28
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Do any of you guys with the slingbox have the latest Shaw Cable internet speeds? I got in on the "Gateway" promo and my internet will have the following specs
I've only used mine a couple of times, but I haven't had any issues so far with my Telus connection. It advertizes 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up; and with speedtest.net I show a consistant 5.4 down and 0.8 up.

And yes, it is the upload speed that is key.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #29
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I've only used mine a couple of times, but I haven't had any issues so far with my Telus connection. It advertizes 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up; and with speedtest.net I show a consistant 5.4 down and 0.8 up.

And yes, it is the upload speed that is key.

So if I reach the speeds posted above I should be fine?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #30
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So if I reach the speeds posted above I should be fine?
Yeah, anything above regular high speed and you probably wouldn't notice any slowdown unless you are a power user.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #31
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

I know many won't believe this- but I once again got good service from Bell.

They sent a survey after my call; the one that they said I couldn't get the 6 GB plan. I blasted them on the survey. Wednesday I get a call back, and they ask what the issue was. Within a few minutes I had my 6GB data plan.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #32
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

For teh people who have the slingbox, is the HD model the way to go?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #33
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have the Solo. It still allows you to connect an HD device through component cables, and it streams in 16:9. The big difference is that, even with very fast upload speeds, is that the quality will max out and never reach a proper HD signal.

Because I watch in a window usually or on my phone, and my upload speed is usually around 2 Mbps, I'm not going to be missing anything. But if you wanted a true HD picture and had the upload speed to support it (or you were doing so on your local network), then you'd want the HD version.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #34
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Slingbox has a bad case of not supporting their hardware in the future. With that said I would get top of the line unit in this case Pro HD so that you have an greater chance it will be supported for longer
Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #35
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to get a Slingbox for my parents so that they can watch Calgary TV while they're down in Palm Springs for 6 months of the year.

Best model to do that? What hardware do I need? Any help is appreciated.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #36
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Don't really need any hardware except for the box get the Pro HD all u need is a router and an Ethernet cable. And of course either a cable box or cable outlet
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #37
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Personally- even on my iPhone I think there is a bit of a difference between HD and SD. Yes- you aren't getting anywhere near to an HD signal at 500 kbps, but I do think the picture is better. Kind of like how a CD will sound better than a cassette on a crappy boom box.

Plus it is nice to have the right aspect ration as the iPhone is a widescreen device.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #38
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Personally- even on my iPhone I think there is a bit of a difference between HD and SD. Yes- you aren't getting anywhere near to an HD signal at 500 kbps, but I do think the picture is better. Kind of like how a CD will sound better than a cassette on a crappy boom box.

Plus it is nice to have the right aspect ration as the iPhone is a widescreen device.
Aspect ratio on the Solo is 16:9 if the cable box is 16:9, same as on your TV. Other than that, I have never actually watched anything on an HD Slingbox to compare side-by-side.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #39
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Just a bump to say Dell has the Slingbox Pro HD on for $200 today:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...=baynoteSearch
Old 10-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #40
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow - that's a great price. If anyone is in the market, you won't see them any cheaper than that.