Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 12:45 AM   #981
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Trash talk is bad in the beer leagues...I can't imagine the NHL or Major Junior

The things that I've been accused of doing to my mother is amazing. The things that I did with other players mothers according to me is award winning.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 12:48 AM   #982
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
One of the interesting dynamics of the abuse stuff coming out right now is some of the players who are speaking up and how clean are they. Something tells me, maybe I’m wrong, that some these players, especially certain ones have done some on ice verbal bullying themselves, maybe even some locker room mental or physical bullying, player to player.
I think this will be the most interesting part. Babcock, because he’s in Toronto, and Peters, because he dropped N bombs, are punching bags at the moment. And it should be obvious but has to be said because it’s the internet, I’m not defending either. Both made their own beds.

What’s interesting is where will it get objective. If Aliu gets paid for lost earnings because of Peters yikes will that open Pandora’s box. I don’t think his initial statements were intended that way at all but someone will be selling him that idea if they haven’t already. I’d guess *every* coach has a player who blames them for the player not making it big. Some may be right. Some will be total morons who have simply picked a coach to blame. But they’ll believe it in their own minds and a lawyer will call it cultural. How the hell to tell the difference? And how to filter standards over decades? Messy.

I’m guessing part of the delay is the league wants to take an action to define the terms. Bill Peters will be removed and banned or suspended by the NHL for a clearly articulated reason. They’ll want a bright line, and maybe a defensible way to time box liability for past behaviour. The flames will be trying to avoid holding the bag for all the costs of the precedent.

I’ve gotten little of this right so far. Who knows.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:10 AM   #983
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Not sure if mentioned already, but another Czech player spoke about Peters. Jiri Tlusty played for him in Carolina during 14-15 season.

https://www.idnes.cz/hokej/nhl/jiri-...134233_nhl_rmp

Half of the article is what's already known, so I will translate Tlusty's quotes only. Tlusty did not reach out for the media as I understand it, was asked to give comments based on Jordan's allegations and own experience with Peters.

On Peters:"He is arrogant. I wish all the players not to have to come into contact with him ever again....To deal with Peters was very hard, he is so arrogant. We never had a good relationship, he was one of those reasons I left Carolina. I am not going to kick around myself, I don't care about him anymore and lot of players already spoken up. Water is boiling.... Like it's normal when a player and his coach have an argument, but to kick someone in the back during a game? Thats rotten. He felt like he could do whatever he wanted and get away with it."

On Jordan:"Michal was young, what could he do? Player feels humiliated, like a beaten dog in a corner. He doesn't show up for practice in good a mood and feels like there is nothing he can do about it. North America can be tough for European players. Wears down your confidence. Michal played there for some time, but it was pretty much up and down for him.

On Akim:"I am not surprised he spoken up. Maybe he could have done it a bit earlier with more courage. But I understand he was depressed and it could have affected his career. Up until now he saw Peters doing well, getting a lot of praise and felt degraded."

On "apology": "The apology is just a gesture he has to make in order to try to get over it. He will shield himself with that, but in fact nothing changed. It's just for the masses to make up for it."

Now there is one important thing that kind of comes to light. Tlusty is Kladno native, Czech NHLers from Kladno are known to be a very tight group. One of Tlusty's best buddies is Michael Frolik. They even went to the same class. I have seen a lot of fans around here wondering what happened to the team after the All-star break. How about it has nothing to do with the All-star break, but more likely how Frolik, a Cup champion, hard worker and a true pro was placed in Peters' doghouse? To the extent when his agent had to come up in his defense with that tweet? I think the timeline fits quite well, could be interesting to check our record before and after that.

This is a very good post
Old 11-29-2019, 01:13 AM   #984
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Now there is one important thing that kind of comes to light. Tlusty is Kladno native, Czech NHLers from Kladno are known to be a very tight group. One of Tlusty's best buddies is Michael Frolik. They even went to the same class. I have seen a lot of fans around here wondering what happened to the team after the All-star break. How about it has nothing to do with the All-star break, but more likely how Frolik, a Cup champion, hard worker and a true pro was placed in Peters' doghouse? To the extent when his agent had to come up in his defense with that tweet? I think the timeline fits quite well, could be interesting to check our record before and after that.
This is very interesting, thanks for digging that up.

I hope we see a reinvigorated Frolik.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:14 AM   #985
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Another interesting thing is how many people here identified Frolik and his agent as problematic.

Now that it is known what Peters is like, I wonder if some of that has softened.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 02:41 AM   #986
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Another interesting thing is how many people here identified Frolik and his agent as problematic.

Now that it is known what Peters is like, I wonder if some of that has softened.
I think our views on a lot players should be re-evaluated given what has come to light about Peters.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 03:01 AM   #987
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
We literally have video of another NHL coach punching a guy in the head but some fringe player says peters punched him and its headline news

If there is a new standard lets hold everyone accountable

Sorry if I don't have much sympathy for a guy who got kicked in the back by a loafer wearing full equipment or punched in the helmet all the while making millions of dollars playing hockey.

Racial slurs and sexual abuse are a whole different ball of wax...Peters is getting what he deserves for that
What new standard are you talking about? That bullying is bad? Alright, what exactly would you like people to do about it?

Excusing bullying by saying it’s ok to do it to someone getting paid a lot of money is dumb, but even aside from that, what’s stopping you from holding Laviolette accountable? You can’t really force Leino to speak up about it and take issue, so what’s a reasonable solution?
Old 11-29-2019, 03:14 AM   #988
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I really think anything to do with Frolik is a stretch. Frolik was not playing well when he was healthy scratched last season.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:25 AM   #989
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I really think anything to do with Frolik is a stretch. Frolik was not playing well when he was healthy scratched last season.
Why wasn’t he playing well though?
Old 11-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #990
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Why wasn’t he playing well though?
He played decent last game, reunited with 3M line with Ward on the bench....could be something to it.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #991
Newton
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I wonder what it was like for that James Neil fellow
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newton For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #992
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Personally I have done a complete 180. Prior to the Aliu news I was blaming the players for being coach killers, now I feel they can't fire Peters to the moon soon enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #993
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
And then he went to the Worlds and lit it up.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #994
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Everyone has their own type of topics they like to read and comment on.

For me the Don Cherry to Bill Peters with a mix of re-opening the arena debate is my own personal hell.

That's not to diminish the issues themselves, but some of the arguments in these topics just tire me out.

Hence not posting much these days ...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #995
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Everyone has their own type of topics they like to read and comment on.

For me the Don Cherry to Bill Peters with a mix of re-opening the arena debate is my own personal hell.

That's not to diminish the issues themselves, but some of the arguments in these topics just tire me out.

Hence not posting much these days ...
Meh, just skip the posts that are the real head shakers and pull out the ones that have actual content.

I'm interested in this from a contractual point of view so those are the posts I read. I really couldn't give a f if Bill Peters is an "actual" abusive racist or not, or proving it either way. I'm a lot more interested in the financial side of things, and how this might set precedent in the future.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #996
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton View Post
I wonder what it was like for that James Neil fellow
It's obvious Peters didn't like Neal from day one. Now that it's coming out how players didn't like playing for him you can understand why a few players on the roster may play their worst hockey for him. Erik Staal had by far his worst season ever under Peters. Seems to be a bit of a pattern.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #997
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

With the breaking news, I think we can move all of this discussion to the new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread