Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #8021
Petert
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Anybody who thinks Dumba is worth Monahan is high on more than just crack.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petert For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #8022
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Interesting, thanks.

If the Flames believe Valimaki will be able to step in as a top 4 guy right away, and that Mackey will be able to play NHL minutes pretty quickly as well, then it certainly makes sense that they are willing to move Hanifin.

I cannot get past the notion of signing Pietroangelo and then trading Hanifin for futures. To get an elite #1 RHD and then bolster the draft pick and prospect cupboards while at the same time filling out the left side of the NHL D with two guys on ELC's would be such a massive win for this franchise it's not even funny.

Too bad it's very unlikely to actually happen.

Giordano - Pietro
Valimaki - Andersson
Mackey - Kylington/Yelesin/Cheap UFA
Half to think Pietrangelo is a pipe dream. Any reliable source I have heard talk about him seems to be saying the same thing; St.Louis Vegas Toronto. Probably in that order.

I would be shocked if he signed here
Old 09-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #8023
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Saw this on the hf boards, not sure if it's been discussed here. Apparently goligoski team no trade list was revealed :
Buffalo
Calgary
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Montreal
Ottawa
Winnipeg
Interesting, if true. Wonder why a guy wouldn't want to play in LA. Great city and a team with a bright future. The rest I can understand

Old 09-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #8024
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Interesting, if true. Wonder why a guy wouldn't want to play in LA. Great city and a team with a bright future. The rest I can understand
He probably picked LA because they were supposed to be a bottom feeder, and they were. A guy with only 1-2 years left on his contract doesn't care what kind of future they have, he's more worried about the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

That list is made up of all the smaller market Canadian teams and three American teams that were supposed to be bottom 5 in the league.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #8025
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting, thanks.

If the Flames believe Valimaki will be able to step in as a top 4 guy right away, and that Mackey will be able to play NHL minutes pretty quickly as well, then it certainly makes sense that they are willing to move Hanifin.

I cannot get past the notion of signing Pietroangelo and then trading Hanifin for futures. To get an elite #1 RHD and then bolster the draft pick and prospect cupboards while at the same time filling out the left side of the NHL D with two guys on ELC's would be such a massive win for this franchise it's not even funny.

Giordano - Pietro
Valimaki - Andersson
If the Flames could turn Gaudreau and Hanifin into multiple 1st round picks, prospects and maybe some 2nds and replace them with Hall and Pietrangelo that would be an absolute incredible retool. Add Markstrom to that team they are improved with a promising future
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #8026
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Half to think Pietrangelo is a pipe dream. Any reliable source I have heard talk about him seems to be saying the same thing; St.Louis Vegas Toronto. Probably in that order.

Niether Vegas nor the Leafs can afford him without making a seperate but huge move to their rosters.

The Flames actually have a lot of cap room compared to most playoff type teams. AP isnt signing with a re-building squad, cannot be afforded by most of the contending teams, so his list gets small really quick.

I still think he settles in St Louis though....great team, wife is a native etc etc...plus they are the only club that can give him 8 years. The sticking point thus far for them is how the contract is structured. He wants it mostly in signing bonuses and they are refusing. Also have to believe he wants a full NMC, and GM's are loathe to be giving those in this financial climate...particularly Doug Armstrong who has never given one IIRC.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #8027
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

I'd be in no hurry to move Hanifin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #8028
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post

I agree I feel like the Flames are that team that is being used as leverage because they can offer the big money, long term deal and not have to shift huge portions of cap like Vegas or Toronto. The Pietrangelo camp can use them as leverage to get the contract structure they want from the Blues.

Reminds me of when Brad Richards did that to the Rangers back in 2011. Flames and the Feaster connection offered the biggest contract and were thought to be in the mix but really they never had a chance. Richards wanted to go to the Rangers and settled for less than the rumored Flames offer but very much in the ballpark.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #8029
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting, thanks.

Giordano - Pietro
Valimaki - Andersson
I don't see how trading a 23 year old top 4 defenseman for magic beans is a win. It's far more likely that Mackey or Valimaki are tried on the right side. If we need to shed 5 million in salary you move Backlund or Giordano before Hanifin.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #8030
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I don't see how trading a 23 year old top 4 defenseman for magic beans is a win. It's far more likely that Mackey or Valimaki are tried on the right side. If we need to shed 5 million in salary you move Backlund or Giordano before Hanifin.
Backlund has a full NTC until the next off season, and I would be fine moving Gio and keeping Hanifin, especially if you're getting Pietro, but I don't see the Flames doing that.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #8031
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's also win because of asset management.

The team is better because you've upgraded massively with Pietrangelo over Hanifin and then also added futures.

If you're trading Hanifin for "magic beans" without replacing him while trying to compete, then yeah it's not a win at all. But if you've upgraded on him, made the team better and also added "magic beans" it's a clear win, because calling them magic beans doesn't take away from the fact that every team still needs them. They are the life blood of every single organization.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #8032
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

My guess is Hamonic is signing in Winnipeg.

I have a good reason for saying so, but it isn't good enough to use as a 'source.' But there is something behind it.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #8033
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

I have a good reason for saying so, but it isn't good enough to use as a 'source.' But there is something behind it.
That's been common knowledge and widely speculated since his NYI days. Everybody knows he wants to play in his home province.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #8034
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Isn't this public knowledge, he has family their and wanted a trade from NY to Western Conference to be close to them as their was an illness.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #8035
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think Backlund and Gio have more value to the Flames than they would on the market. I don’t think either brings the return you might expect or get from moving Hanifin who is a quality top 4 at a reasonable cap hit with some term. There’s also that thing about ‘never go full Oilers’ having some quality home grown vets is essential, in my mind anyway. I keep Backlund and Gio unless you’re ripping it down to the studs.

I would be fine with trading Hanifin because the return is likely to bring back a player of comparable age and quality (Dumba for example), or a high value pick (prior to being dealt he was rumoured to be going to the Canucks for 7OA). As far as shedding salary, there is also value in that. At the end of the day Hanifin is far from an untouchable piece in my mind.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #8036
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's also win because of asset management.

The team is better because you've upgraded massively with Pietrangelo over Hanifin and then also added futures.

If you're trading Hanifin for "magic beans" without replacing him while trying to compete, then yeah it's not a win at all. But if you've upgraded on him, made the team better and also added "magic beans" it's a clear win, because calling them magic beans doesn't take away from the fact that every team still needs them. They are the life blood of every single organization.
You cite asset management, but there is literally no better asset than a good young player that is signed to a good contract.

Yes, every team needs picks, but you don't trade one of your most valuable assets for a mystery box. The odds of actually getting a young player as good as Hanifin is and will continue to grow into is quite slim
Old 09-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #8037
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You cite asset management, but there is literally no better asset than a good young player that is signed to a good contract.

Yes, every team needs picks, but you don't trade one of your most valuable assets for a mystery box. The odds of actually getting a young player as good as Hanifin is and will continue to grow into is quite slim

You absolutely can trade Hanifin for futures if you've replaced him with a better player in the top 4 like Pietrangelo.

If there was no cap then you'd keep him, but you'd need to clear cap and I don't see a better more realistic option to clear any.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #8038
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You absolutely can trade Hanifin for futures if you've replaced him with a better player in the top 4 like Pietrangelo.

If there was no cap then you'd keep him, but you'd need to clear cap and I don't see a better more realistic option to clear any.
No, you move other guys, even if you don't get full value. Because the whole point of futures is to get a player like Hanifin. The only way a Hanifin trade makes any sense is for a similarly aged or younger player who can can be added to our top 6.

Moving Hanifin for futures is a terrible idea, nothing will convince me otherwise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #8039
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Especially because trading Backlund or Gio wouldn’t get you the same type of futures that Hanifin would command and if we really do gear up for a swing Backlund and Gio are two players I’d want on a deep run even though we’ve yet to see Gio play well in a playoff. Plus after this season Gio is the perfect player to expose to Seattle.

Trade Hanifin, Ryan, Rittich and maybe RFA Mangiapane in order to bring in Hall, Markstrom and Pietrangelo; I would also try and bring in Andersson from Columbus.

Rittich for a pick, any pick.
Hanifin + Mangiapane for a great futures deal
Ryan for Andersson

Sign Hall, Markstrom and Pietrangelo

Gaudreau - Backlund - Lindholm
Hall - Monahan - Tkachuk
Dube - Bennett - Andersson
Lucic - Gawdin - Phillips
Reider

Giordano - Andersson
Valimaki - Pietrangelo
Mackey - Kylington
Forbort

Markstrom
Zagidulin
Old 09-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #8040
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, you move other guys, even if you don't get full value. Because the whole point of futures is to get a player like Hanifin. The only way a Hanifin trade makes any sense is for a similarly aged or younger player who can can be added to our top 6.

Moving Hanifin for futures is a terrible idea, nothing will convince me otherwise.
...and then lose the player you acquired in the expansions draft? Smort.

Noah Hanifin isn’t some golden goose. He’s a solid player, and he’s young and signed to a market-value deal. If this team can sign Pietrangelo (an elite defenceman), and trade Hanifin for a 1st + 2nd + 2nd? Well that’s an absolute win. You improved your team, and you gained additional assets that are expansion draft exempt.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread