Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #3221
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think they clearly planned for minimum runs given up at the cost of blowing through more pitchers. Shoemaker was coming off injury and they said he went more than they thought so they moved on. Then Ray pitched reasonably well and they were likely happy to get through 3ip without him losing his command. So they turned it over to their bullpen and we’re going to use their best pitchers to keep them in the game long enough for bats to do something. Well our pitcher threw a bad pitch and our hitters didn’t hit. The first sucks but the team was losing if the hitters didn’t show up. And that’s what happened.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #3222
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The reliever gave up the home run because the starting tandem, Shoemaker/Ray were out sooner than they needed to be.
You have no proof of that. It’s just as likely they leave Ray one inning longer and he has his patented walk the bases loaded and then they have to bring in a reliever with the bases loaded and 1 out.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #3223
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
You have no proof of that. It’s just as likely they leave Ray one inning longer and he has his patented walk the bases loaded and then they have to bring in a reliever with the bases loaded and 1 out.
Well the reliever DID give up the home run, because Shoemaker and Ray WERE out, so...

Had Shoemaker gone another inning, that may not have happened.

Anyway, I have made my case. Great job, Montoyo.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #3224
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrible in game management that wound up working out in spite of itself. Regardless of dumb pitching changes you can’t expect to win a game scoring 1 run.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #3225
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yep great job. 6ip of 1ER. If you had told me we’d get that I’d have been ecstatic. Shame that our hitters weren’t able to overcome their pitching and defense. I don’t think Ryu would have won this one either. Hopefully it was just some opening game jitters and the hitters can back Ryu up tomorrow.

Last edited by Kasi; 09-29-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #3226
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still don't think it was the right decision to pull Shoe when they did but it sure would have been nice if the bats came alive to nullify the game management.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #3227
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbound View Post
I still don't think it was the right decision to pull Shoe when they did but it sure would have been nice if the bats came alive to nullify the game management.
Definitely. But it's like a goalie letting in a weak one - it changes the momentum. And it's harder to play from behind.

Not making excuses for them though - they swung at a lot of balls, and they were reluctant to shorten their swings to put the ball in play.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:53 PM   #3228
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jays got beat by a great starter and a better bullpen.

That being said this management team is relying on analytics way too much. I don't believe for a second that Montoyo chose to pull Shoemaker after 3 innings that decision came from above. Same for hitting Grichuk 3rd, Gurriel 5th, and Hernandez 6th.

If I am a free agent starter, there is a no way I would sign in Toronto. Between the quick pulls and having to play in the band boxes in the AL East I would have zero interest in playing for the Jays. Management really isn't doing themselves any favours.

I really don't get the Grichuk love, with this team. He is a solid center fielder and has a power bat, but he shouldn't be hitting above 5th in the lineup. He doesn't get on base and strikes out way too much.

Frustrating loss, but most of the decisions didn't result in the loss today.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:10 PM   #3229
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sucks that these games are mid afternoon. Missed today's and now could be eliminated before I am done work tomorrow.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #3230
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Maybe we should have played Cleveland.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #3231
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
Jays got beat by a great starter and a better bullpen.

That being said this management team is relying on analytics way too much. I don't believe for a second that Montoyo chose to pull Shoemaker after 3 innings that decision came from above. Same for hitting Grichuk 3rd, Gurriel 5th, and Hernandez 6th.

If I am a free agent starter, there is a no way I would sign in Toronto. Between the quick pulls and having to play in the band boxes in the AL East I would have zero interest in playing for the Jays. Management really isn't doing themselves any favours.

I really don't get the Grichuk love, with this team. He is a solid center fielder and has a power bat, but he shouldn't be hitting above 5th in the lineup. He doesn't get on base and strikes out way too much.

Frustrating loss, but most of the decisions didn't result in the loss today.
I've been wondering about this based on some of the decision making this year. He may have been given the Manager position under the caveat of listening when the phone rings.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:43 AM   #3232
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Good game and they had a chance to tie it in the 9th.

And the two guys calling the game on TV? Wow! Garbage. They made the game so boring. Most of the time not even calling the game but talking about something else.

Buck and Dan are the best in the business and I don't understand why Canadians can't have them call our games.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:24 AM   #3233
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Good game and they had a chance to tie it in the 9th.

And the two guys calling the game on TV? Wow! Garbage. They made the game so boring. Most of the time not even calling the game but talking about something else.

Buck and Dan are the best in the business and I don't understand why Canadians can't have them call our games.
Not sure what feed you were watching but Buck did call the game....in fact he was the PBP guy on SN. Sittle was the analyst.

Shulman was doing PBP for ESPN radio...which is his full time employer.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:57 AM   #3234
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not sure what feed you were watching but Buck did call the game....in fact he was the PBP guy on SN. Sittle was the analyst.

Shulman was doing PBP for ESPN radio...which is his full time employer.
I was watching it on Mlb.tv and it was the TBS feed.

Usually MLB gives the option to watch either feed but I only got the TBS option so I figured it was the same as you guys watching in Canada.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:27 AM   #3235
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It was kind of a weird broadcast from a commentary perspective IMO, Buck seemed to still be in color mode for much of it so there was a lot more silence than normal. Which to be truthful, I don't mind, but it was a little odd. I don't know how I feel about Siddel on commentary though, but I do really like him in the studio. Also like Axe, he's not afraid to say what he thinks.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #3236
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
It was kind of a weird broadcast from a commentary perspective IMO, Buck seemed to still be in color mode for much of it so there was a lot more silence than normal. Which to be truthful, I don't mind, but it was a little odd. I don't know how I feel about Siddel on commentary though, but I do really like him in the studio. Also like Axe, he's not afraid to say what he thinks.
Buck is not your typical pbp guy and tends to use silence more than others. And I also wonder if he was a little out of practice given he's been filling the analyst role this season.

Anyone not named Dan Shulman though is going to feel like a drop off.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #3237
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Buck is not your typical pbp guy and tends to use silence more than others. And I also wonder if he was a little out of practice given he's been filling the analyst role this season.

Anyone not named Dan Shulman though is going to feel like a drop off.
I know what you mean about Buck, I just felt like last night was even more exaggerated than normal and I agree that it was very likely due to being out of practice.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:56 AM   #3238
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Siddell is really poor. It made me miss Tabler!

Old 09-30-2020, 09:01 AM   #3239
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Siddell is really poor. It made me miss Tabler!
I've always liked Tabby but I think this might've been Siddel's first game on commentary, he sounded like he was having his cherry popped and was super nervous
Old 09-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #3240
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Brewers are going with an opener against the Dodgers, I think this strategy, similar to the Jays yesterday, is disastrous. Why handicap yourself for no reason? For example, the Jays wanted Shoemaker to go 2 or 3 innings and Ray to go 2 or 3 innings because Ryu will go 7 today. How do you know that? What if Shoemaker can go 7 and Ryu gets rocked and only goes 3. Wouldn't it been nice to stretch out Shoemaker yesterday so the bullpen is healthy for today?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post: