Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #1181
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Canadiens traded Shaw back to Chicago yesterday

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=7149072
Yeah I know...im just wondering if Brodie would have been enough instead of draft picks for the Habs.

He would of checked a lot of boxes for this club....much like Kadri.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #1182
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah I know...im just wondering if Brodie would have been enough instead of draft picks for the Habs.

Possible but I think they wanted to clear salary to go with that dumb offer sheet
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #1183
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Brodie carries more value than the picks they got but I think the Habs wanted the cap space to go after Aho
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #1184
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Or they overachieved in the regular season with a flawed roster that was exposed in the playoffs.
No. I'm not buying that.

The Flames were the second highest scoring team without an above average powerplay, they were a top five defensive team, and their possession and shot metrics were all in the top-five. They did all of this amid questions about goaltending all year. There is NOTHING beyond a short playoff campaign to suggest that the Flames overachieved. Nothing at all.

The Flames played differently in Games #2–5 of the playoffs than they did all season and also in Game #1. It was mystifying to witness, but what I saw in Round One was NOT the same team as that which I watched all season—something was decidedly off for a few games at the absolute worst time, and I believe it is correctable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #1185
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Yeah, you might be right but our players aren't necessarily built that way. To me, tougher to play against means being able to hit the opposing team and changing the momentum of the game. I just dont think the current team has that element and they need a few more players who can play physical and score. The current team can definitely learn from this past season but I don't think Gaudreau is hitting anyone anytime soon.
To me, being tougher to play against is pressuring through a relentless forecheck and back check, and never quitting on the play. This is what the Flames did wrong in the playoffs, and it is not an irredeemable flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #1186
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointed the Flames did nothing to add toughness.

And with Hathaway’s departure we got softer.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #1187
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No. I'm not buying that.

The Flames were the second highest scoring team without an above average powerplay, they were a top five defensive team, and their possession and shot metrics were all in the top-five. They did all of this amid questions about goaltending all year. There is NOTHING beyond a short playoff campaign to suggest that the Flames overachieved. Nothing at all.

The Flames played differently in Games #2–5 of the playoffs than they did all season and also in Game #1. It was mystifying to witness, but what I saw in Round One was NOT the same team as that which I watched all season—something was decidedly off for a few games at the absolute worst time, and I believe it is correctable.
Just like every year, the game changed in the playoffs and the Flames couldn’t dictate the play anymore. The refs allowed physical players to push the line more and the Flames had no answer for it. They got worn down and intimidated, then it was a downward spiral.

I have no doubt that they can reproduce the regular season results, but no one is going to mind facing them in the playoffs if they don’t add the SOB element.

The fact Treliving has tried to address this at least gives me hope that he knows it’s an issue.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #1188
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Disappointed the Flames did nothing to add toughness.

And with Hathaway’s departure we got softer.
Does this mean we try to go after Reaves and Ferland?
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #1189
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Golden Knights looking at trade options for Nikita Gusev with large gap in contract talks

https://theathletic.com/1058900/2019...ontract-talks/

Quote:
The sides have negotiated over the last few weeks with both seeking a two-year deal, but the gap between Vegas’ initial offer and Gusev’s asking price is as wide as $2 million per year, according to a source close to the negotiations.

“We think (Gusev) is a really good player,” Golden Knights president of hockey operations George McPhee said Monday. “We’d like to work something out here, but if that doesn’t work out we’ll look at options.”

Gusev is arguably the best player in the world currently outside of the NHL. He absolutely torched the KHL last season. He ran away with the most valuable player trophy after racking up 17 goals and 65 assists for 82 points in 62 games for SKA Saint Petersburg.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #1190
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

There is NOTHING beyond a short playoff campaign to suggest that the Flames overachieved. Nothing at all.
Nothing at all? NOTHING?

Every one of the Flames best players had career seasons, and some by a significant margin. Giordano, Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk... And absolutely no significant injuries.

Now I don't believe the Flames season was a fluke. Full stop. I fully expect this team to be a playoff team but there are ample reasons to believe the regular season could be a dip from last year.

And no, that doesn't mean I am in a panic. Just giving my opinion.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #1191
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Nothing at all? NOTHING?

Every one of the Flames best players had career seasons, and some by a significant margin. Giordano, Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk... And absolutely no significant injuries.

Now I don't believe the Flames season was a fluke. Full stop. I fully expect this team to be a playoff team but there are ample reasons to believe the regular season could be a dip from last year.

And no, that doesn't mean I am in a panic. Just giving my opinion.
Valid points, but they also won the west on the back of, let's face it, just better than mediocre goaltending. So some improvement there can go a long way. My prediction is the Flames are still fighting for the division win at the least this year.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 09:11 PM   #1192
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Ferland returns that trade is looking great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #1193
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad the season doesn’t start tomorrow. Treliving has quite a bit of work to do but I am confident he will make some positive additions to this team.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #1194
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, my top two moves were trade for kadri or aho offer sheet.

Maybe neal + sweetener for turris?

Will there be any other interest in brodie? I can't even think of any other suitors at this point. Maybe TB for someone like Johnson?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #1195
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
If Ferland returns that trade is looking great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really don't want him back. Nice guy and great story but he has taken a few too many hits to the head and he has always been streaky.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:05 PM   #1196
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Golden Knights looking at trade options for Nikita Gusev with large gap in contract talks

https://theathletic.com/1058900/2019...ontract-talks/
Interesting player. Right handed LW (might be an easy switch to right), and best friend is Nikita Kucherov, whom he regularly outscored when they played together.

I'd kind of be alright using every piece coming back from Brodie and Frolik trades to take a flyer on a guy like this. Why not swing for the fences?

I'd guess LV is offering a 3M/2Y show me contract, but that's entirely my guess.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:13 PM   #1197
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oddly high number of assists playing on a team who’s highest scorer, Yakupov no less, only hit 23 goals. What am I missing?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #1198
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
That's what I thought as well. But then it makes little sense. Seems like all of the TV commentators, all hockey bloggers and all other "in the know" guys on Twitter know (or pretend to know) those lists for every player. So, either players' agents and some people in teams' front offices leak that information to media on purpose or it's not much of a guarded secret... Strange.
If a player or an agent leaks it they probably don't care it is out there.

If a team leaks it is probably because they are frustrated the player is blocking a trade and want it out there to put some pressure on the player to waive it.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #1199
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I really don't want him back. Nice guy and great story but he has taken a few too many hits to the head and he has always been streaky.
Streaky, sure, the concussion narrative is way overblown by some people though.

There are guys playing right now who have taken a lot worse knocks to the head a lot more often, or dealt with worse concussion issues, and have since fully recovered. The narrative doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #1200
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It really comes down to the $ figure and term for me. If Ferland doesn’t like his market because of the shrinking salary cap maybe a 1-2 year deal is in his best interest? If that is the case I could see a deal working for both sides.

Flames need a top 6 forward and while Ferland is not perfect he is a decent option.