Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #1301
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to Ferland. Unless he signed for less than 2 million for a year or two. Inconsistent is a word that immediately pops up in my head when I think of Ferland.
Atodaso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atodaso For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #1302
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atodaso View Post
I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to Ferland. Unless he signed for less than 2 million for a year or two. Inconsistent is a word that immediately pops up in my head when I think of Ferland.
In terms of his consistency Ferland was better last year than he has been in the past. He had a couple of 4-5 game droughts, but nothing approaching the weeks and weeks of uselessness that he would occasionally exhibit while in Calgary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #1303
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atodaso View Post

He’s another one of those players everyone will say-“ he’s great for the playoffs “ and then he isn’t. Maybe anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #1304
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
In terms of his consistency Ferland was better last year than he has been in the past. He had a couple of 4-5 game droughts, but nothing approaching the weeks and weeks of uselessness that he would occasionally exhibit while in Calgary.
Well besides the 24 games to end the season, scoring his final goal of the year in February.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #1305
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Well besides the 24 games to end the season, scoring his final goal of the year in February.
Touché, but for the sake of precision he played 17 of those final 24-games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #1306
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'd gladly take an inconsistent Ferland if the price was right. There aren't many truly consistent players really.

Some 20 goal scorers manage to score about every 4 games, and some go on a tear for a couple months. Both help you win over the course of a season.

Hell, Lindholm had an amazing season and scored 2 goals in a 27 game stretch near the end.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #1307
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah inconsistent or not, adding a 40 point guy is 40 more points than we'd have without him. Especially when it'd be to bolster the weak right side, it's not like he'd be taking away someone else's opportunity
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #1308
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Touché, but for the sake of precision he played 17 of those final 24-games.
For the sake of accuracy I was including playoff games in my total.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #1309
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

2.5 x 1 or 2 years for ferland would be a great second line rw replacement for frolik.

That 2nd line lacks finish and ferland can finish.

I don't think there is much interest from the Calgary side of the equation though except for a bargain short term deal.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #1310
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Plus Ferland has the ability to thrive on the top line, something that isn't a guarantee (see Neal, Bennett), and is a player that will throw his weight around.

I finished pulling the highlights from the playoffs and Hathaway, Bennett, and Lindholm were our physical players. We've lost 1/3rd of our playoff intense players, and we were already too soft. At this point I can't see Ferland getting a big contract, so if we can make it work I'd be ecstatic.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #1311
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d take a flyer on Ferland for around $3.5 million on a one or two year deal, but no more than that due to his questionable concussion history. We’ll need someone who can pitch hit in the top 6 without Frolik, as a right side of Lindholm-Neal-???-Lomberg is incredibly weak. Maybe only the Oinkers look worse.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #1312
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Plus Ferland has the ability to thrive on the top line, something that isn't a guarantee (see Neal, Bennett), and is a player that will throw his weight around. I finished pulling the highlights from the playoffs and Hathaway, Bennett, and Lindholm were our physical players. We've lost 1/3rd of our playoff intense players, and we were already too soft. At this point I can't see Ferland getting a big contract, so if we can make it work I'd be ecstatic.
Yeah, actually a very prominent part of a potential reunion is that there isn't much flexibility in rotating players around in the top 6 without impacting wins and goals.

Having a player or two in the lineup where you can shake up the lines or show a different look and not have it be a negative is a big deal.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #1313
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland's consistency issues are way overblown IMO. Ferland is not an elite player, and will not make elite money. Elite players are the ones that are usually much more consistent at scoring.

Ferland is still a useful player. Yes, he is actually still very useful if he isn't a wrecking ball like he was in the Vancouver series. There is literally nobody in hockey that can play that way and not be injured.

Ferland hits hard consistently, even when they aren't spectacular hits. Just watch the opposing player after he gets nailed by what seems like a 'meh' hit by Ferland - they feel it.

Ferland also has a very good shot, has great speed, plays a sound defensive game and is fantastic around the boards. I would welcome him back with open arms as long as his salary/term wasn't too much for too long. Signing him might be the best 'fix' for this team in trying to move Lindholm to center - Ferland replaces him on the top line where that entire line had produced well. You can always move him up and down the line-up as needed/as necessary.

I would actually love him much more than signing Dzingel. I would bet that Ferland is more likely to hit 20 goals than Dzingel is, while contributing more in other areas. It is looking more and more like Dzingel caught a bit of lightning in a bottle with Ottawa, and I would be hesitant to give the money and term he has already reportedly turned down from Ottawa when they were trying to re-sign him.

Calgary needs to add size, and that size absolutely must come with some speed and skill as well. Who else is a better fit, quite honestly? I wouldn't hate Maroon on the team, but he isn't exactly a burner. Reaves would be great, but his contract isn't cheap and you can't really slot him into the top 6 and expect things to go really well.

It will be interesting to see what Ferland signs for eventually.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #1314
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Ferland's consistency issues are way overblown IMO. Ferland is not an elite player, and will not make elite money. Elite players are the ones that are usually much more consistent at scoring.

Ferland is still a useful player. Yes, he is actually still very useful if he isn't a wrecking ball like he was in the Vancouver series. There is literally nobody in hockey that can play that way and not be injured.

Ferland hits hard consistently, even when they aren't spectacular hits. Just watch the opposing player after he gets nailed by what seems like a 'meh' hit by Ferland - they feel it.

Ferland also has a very good shot, has great speed, plays a sound defensive game and is fantastic around the boards. I would welcome him back with open arms as long as his salary/term wasn't too much for too long. Signing him might be the best 'fix' for this team in trying to move Lindholm to center - Ferland replaces him on the top line where that entire line had produced well. You can always move him up and down the line-up as needed/as necessary.

I would actually love him much more than signing Dzingel. I would bet that Ferland is more likely to hit 20 goals than Dzingel is, while contributing more in other areas. It is looking more and more like Dzingel caught a bit of lightning in a bottle with Ottawa, and I would be hesitant to give the money and term he has already reportedly turned down from Ottawa when they were trying to re-sign him.

Calgary needs to add size, and that size absolutely must come with some speed and skill as well. Who else is a better fit, quite honestly? I wouldn't hate Maroon on the team, but he isn't exactly a burner. Reaves would be great, but his contract isn't cheap and you can't really slot him into the top 6 and expect things to go really well.

It will be interesting to see what Ferland signs for eventually.
Don't think it's overblown at all considering this is burkes reaction to ferland being dealt:

"Ferland shut down on the team last year and no one could get to him"
Old 07-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #1315
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Thing is, when Ferland is not scoring he still brings other things to the game. Two-way play and physicality. It's not like hes Sean Monahan and useless if hes not putting up points.

181 hits in 71 games. Something we are in supreme short supply of especially after letting Hathaways 200 hits get away.

6 fights last year, won them all.

Bring him home.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #1316
Larry David
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post

Boy that sounds familiar ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #1317
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can move 2 of Brodie/Stone/Frolik and get Ferland back to Calgary on a decent 3-4 year deal I would be ecstatic.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #1318
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Possible Ferland would like to be back and is waiting for the Flames to clear some space.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #1319
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
Possible Ferland would like to be back and is waiting for the Flames to clear some space.
I was thinking the same thing this morning. If he was highly regarded he would have a deal already.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #1320
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
Trade Brodie and Frolik for picks/prospects. Free up $8.95M more on top of our $9.47M of space currently
Sign Tkachuk 7x$7.5M?
Rittich 2x$3M?
Bennett 2x$2.5-3M?
Mangiapane $1M

Leaves $3.5-4M for Ferland and a little buffer space.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post: