Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #1961
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
There's nothing quite like positive confirmation after laying out a lot of money for something I don't know much about (yet...). Thanks squiggs!

Now I'm off to research pedals systems and shoes
I have the Shimano A530 http://www.mec.ca/product/5019-501/s...-pedal/?q=A530 on my Zing. The beauty of these are that I can wear a regular shoe on them on one side or flip them over if I want to clip in with my shoes that have SPD bottoms. The flat side of the pedals can get a little slippery but H&L suggested putting hockey tape over them. It does the trick. If you are wanting to cycle to dinner and don't want to wear bike shoes at your meal, or walking on the beach, look into one of these styles. I'm told the mountain bike style shoe can hold this cleat and you can walk normally, but all of my shoes are road bike style. The SPD cleats are incredibly awkward to walk on and you can hear them grinding down the metal with each step.

On my Felt and my Cervelo I have Shimano 105 pedals. I have one set of the 5700 series and one set from the 5800 (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c.../rp-prod116513). I like the pedal style of the SPD-SL better, so I have a couple of pairs of shoes with that setup.

I have narrow feet and all of my shoes are Specialized. My cheapest pair was $40 on sale and my most expensive was around $300. Try on lots and find a pair that will be comfy, yet supportive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 03-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #1962
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
There's nothing quite like positive confirmation after laying out a lot of money for something I don't know much about (yet...). Thanks squiggs!
Also, since you are just getting into bikes, I will warn you that you are three months away from wanting a nicer bike. These things are like crack. There is always one bike that is slightly nicer, newer, etc. I moved to Vancouver with a crappy Sport Chek bike. I've bought four in the seven years I've been here. One has been retired, but I do ride all three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 03-16-2015, 02:15 AM   #1963
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Also, since you are just getting into bikes, I will warn you that you are three months away from wanting a nicer bike. These things are like crack. There is always one bike that is slightly nicer, newer, etc. I moved to Vancouver with a crappy Sport Chek bike. I've bought four in the seven years I've been here. One has been retired, but I do ride all three.
Yup. I got 7 now.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #1964
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the first time in my life I now have two bikes a mtn bike and my new commuter. In a perfect world I'd replace my current mtn bike (Rocky mtn altitude 730) for something a little lighter and then get a bike park/downhill rig.

Anyways, I just took out the front tube in my Rocky and am going to run tubeless this season. It will be interesting to see if I notice a difference.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #1965
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Anyways, I just took out the front tube in my Rocky and am going to run tubeless this season. It will be interesting to see if I notice a difference.
The biggest difference is the ability to run lower pressures. It can really improve your ride quality and traction.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #1966
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ my issue will be running lower pressure as i have always favoured running my tires at the max pressure.

The conversion process was quite simple as i purchased new rims that were UST ready last summer. So it was a matter of removing the tube, reinstalling the tire and then putting in some organce seal stuff and re-inflating.

Hardest part was getting the tire back on the rim as I broke a tire lever as the bead was quite tight.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #1967
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why just tubeless for the front? Eliminating pinch flats from the back is where tubeless shines.

Maybe it's just my beat-up lumbar spine that can tell weather better than any triple-doppler radar... but my back seems to hurt a lot less if I run less than 35psi. I'll bet there are some small-bump compliance qualities from running lower psi.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #1968
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ my issue will be running lower pressure as i have always favoured running my tires at the max pressure.

The conversion process was quite simple as i purchased new rims that were UST ready last summer. So it was a matter of removing the tube, reinstalling the tire and then putting in some organce seal stuff and re-inflating.

Hardest part was getting the tire back on the rim as I broke a tire lever as the bead was quite tight.
Allow me to change your world...
https://youtu.be/JiRHz3Eerk4

Last edited by Fuzz; 03-17-2015 at 01:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #1969
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Allow me to change your world...
https://youtu.be/JiRHz3Eerk4

ugh, can never get the embed to work properly.
Yo need to take the bolded out. And use the youtube tag.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 03-17-2015 at 12:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #1970
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

just started with the front as a test to see how well the whole thing worked - and did not feel like dealing with a greasy chain last night.

Will monitor tire pressure over next few days before converting back - whereever I land, both tires will be the same system.

Persoanlly, I don't expect to notice a huge difference as traditionally I have never had to deal with a lot of flats.......

Speaking of biking - I just ordered myself a new pair of shoes Mavic Alpine XL from my LBS - price was the same as ordering online:

Old 03-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #1971
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sweet shoes. Just read some reviews on those. Allegedly one of the most walkable cleated shoes out there. Which LBS had them for the same money as online?

Does anyone have the live tracking Garmin 510 or 810? Does it work well around the mountains here? I'm wondering if the $150 price difference vs 500 and 800, respectively is worth it. The wife wants to be able to track me if I get into trouble... but at the same time, I don't necessarily want her to know where I am all the time...
Old 03-17-2015, 05:53 PM   #1972
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Sweet shoes. Just read some reviews on those. Allegedly one of the most walkable cleated shoes out there. Which LBS had them for the same money as online?

Does anyone have the live tracking Garmin 510 or 810? Does it work well around the mountains here? I'm wondering if the $150 price difference vs 500 and 800, respectively is worth it. The wife wants to be able to track me if I get into trouble... but at the same time, I don't necessarily want her to know where I am all the time...
I have the 510. It only works as long as you have a good cell signal. So, for road riding, it works great. But depending on where you are mountain biking, it will lose the signal. it will try to reconnect, but if you are out of service for a period of time, it quits trying.

I've had a 705, 500, and now the 510. IMO, the 500 is the best value, and best computer. I don't like the touch screen, and I rarely use livetracker. I have the cadence/speed sensor, heart rate monitor, and now the vector powermeter.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #1973
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sweet shoes. Just read some reviews on those. Allegedly one of the most walkable cleated shoes out there. Which LBS had them for the same money as online?.
I ordered them from cyclepath on Macleod. They quoted me $150. Jensen usa sells them for $120 but will not ship them to Canada. Only downside is that they don't stock them, so I went on line and found a size conversion chart, which I hope is correct. Also hoping they will work ok with my flat pedals - race face atlas
Old 03-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #1974
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Yup. I got 7 now.
5 here. 2 dirt jump bikes, a downhill bike, a full suspension all-mountain bike, and a steel hardtail. Eying a fat bike next.

There is a scientific formula for this. The number of bikes you need is always equal to n+1, where n=the number of bikes you currently own.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
The Following User Says Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #1975
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Not to be a dink, but you're doing it wrong.

For a mountain bike you're getting more rolling resistance by doing that, way less traction, and way more vibration.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #1976
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Not to be a dink, but you're doing it wrong.

For a mountain bike you're getting more rolling resistance by doing that, way less traction, and way more vibration.
Curious why you'd get more rolling resistance? Maybe depends on terrain, but when I'm on my 29'er cruising around the top of Nose Hill, I find I go way faster with high pressures. I run much lower for traction in the mountains though.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #1977
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

The link to the full study seems dead, but here is some of the data:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/wider_faster_page
Old 03-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #1978
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Curious why you'd get more rolling resistance? Maybe depends on terrain, but when I'm on my 29'er cruising around the top of Nose Hill, I find I go way faster with high pressures. I run much lower for traction in the mountains though.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/...istance_355085

"On rough surfaces, however, a tire at lower pressure is able to absorb more of the bumps than a tire at higher pressure, with less deflection of the bike and its rider. This is the same “sprung vs. un-sprung weight” argument that demonstrates why suspension makes a bicycle faster on rough terrain — it takes less energy to keep the bike rolling if only a small amount of weight is lifted (like a small section of the tire) than if the entire bike and rider is lifted by the bump."
Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #1979
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

got home yesterday and my back tire was flat like a pancake - so the tubeless conversion went ok on the front, not so well on the back.

Now need to go and pick up anotehr bottle of orange seal and fix this.......
Old 03-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #1980
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/...istance_355085

"On rough surfaces, however, a tire at lower pressure is able to absorb more of the bumps than a tire at higher pressure, with less deflection of the bike and its rider. This is the same “sprung vs. un-sprung weight” argument that demonstrates why suspension makes a bicycle faster on rough terrain — it takes less energy to keep the bike rolling if only a small amount of weight is lifted (like a small section of the tire) than if the entire bike and rider is lifted by the bump."
So I guess the answer depends on the type of trail you are riding.
Closed Thread