Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-19-2017, 01:26 AM   #41
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
That's right but god forbid we have a fight. Soccer might borderline be tougher than hockey these days. Some of the penalties called tonight were embarrassing for literally everyone involved.
Hey fans and teams called for a crack down on slashes.
It was expected yhe NHL would over react and call every little tap.

The one Brodie got for tapping the oilers player hip really stuck out to me .

There was also a play in the game in Calgary where a Oilera player was like 6 feet away and poke checked the flames player and his stick rode up the flames stick to his fingers and that was also slashing.

Classic over reaction by a governing body. We see this in politics too. Hope fully this gets sorted out as the season goea on. We all want slashing yo come down but not every time a stick barley touche a player constitutes ot.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 AM   #42
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see it only took the first day of preseason for the freaking out about goaltending and ripping on Brouwer to start up again.

I've seen bad teams have great preseasons and great teams have bad preseasons. The games are meaningless and I will wait until the real season starts before starting to worry.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:13 AM   #43
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Didn't last year go this way too? And then we had a horrible start and got swept in the season series?
Yep. I may misremember, but I believe the Oil swept the preseason games last year too - so this is like 10 straight Oiler wins.

I do not care for this.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:30 AM   #44
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Yep. I may misremember, but I believe the Oil swept the preseason games last year too - so this is like 10 straight Oiler wins.

I do not care for this.
Since when do preseason games count in the standings? The streak is 4 losses in a row. Not great but still a ways to go to match the BOA record 9 in a row the Flames won from 2010 to 2012.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:44 AM   #45
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So should we be expecting first cuts today?
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #46
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Smith was the second coming on Brian Elliott tonight. Most of the Flames looked out of sync, but that's expected. Yamamoto had a good game for the Oilers.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #47
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, the score doesn't always matter. Especially this early. It is seeing how players do in situations. Like when they put out Dube, Valimaki, and Kylington on the 4 on 3 pk.

The flames started extremely slow and once they got going they looked noticeably different from the team that started the game. Preseason games, especially these early ones, are pretty much played at 60% by vets. There were 17 hits credited at the dome last night.

The first line created lots of chances and some rookies had positive reviews. I will be more concerned with win and losses around the 5th preseason game when we start seeing a more veteran lineup with the players knocking the rust off.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #48
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I thought Kulak and Stone looked very good together last night. I'm betting they stay together.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #49
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charsiu View Post
So should we be expecting first cuts today?
Gulutzan said two practices today; 13F, 8D, 2G/3G in each

My rough count has 10F, 3D and 2G to be cut
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #50
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goaltending remains an issue. Smith was less than confidence inspiring, and Lack was, well, lacking. The best goaltender on the night was Gillies. I get that people don't want to rush goaltenders, but someone has to step up. This team is going no where without goaltending and what they currently have pencilled in doesn't give me warm fuzzies. I think this year's tandem is worse than last. I appreciate that it is only training camp, but why did the goaltenders on the other team not look so useless?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #51
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
highlights at flames.com

I only see game highlights for the game in Edmonton, am I blind?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #52
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they are going to bring in a grizzled vet (looking unlikely), about now would be a great time; let whoever it is get into a few meaningless games

The PTOs are all probably going to get the ol' PFO
Old 09-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #53
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

My comments ...

Smith - anyone worried about this needs to take some vitamin D stat with the days getting shorter.

Jankowski - on the pro side he was very poised, sound positionally and looked to be right in the play. Was hoping to see him create more though, as he didn't do a whole lot with the puck when in the offensive zone. He was solid finding open wingers on break outs etc so he looks NHL ready, but not NHL polished.

Dube - really stood out. I know he's not a guy on the bubble to make the team this year but with his play in this game he deserves a much longer look than a junior player usually gets. The fact they lined him up with two stiffs and he still made things happen says a lot. Quick on pucks, elusive when he gets it, and great speed and hockey sense. This kid is going to play.

Kylington - out played Valimaki in my mind as he didn't make as many mistakes and was really quick to jump into holes or make himself available for pucks from teammates. Really stood out to me.

Valimaki - love most of his game. Head up, he looks big and strong and very un-18 like overall. Showed his years when stood up by Lucic in the third, and got caught looking on the 4th goal (should have had the guy in the slot). Clearly a kid that is going to be a factor though.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #54
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I really want to like Smith and Lack but I don't really see that they will be better than last year's tandem.

I've watched allot of Smith and noticed he is either hot or very cold.

Things I see that stand out.

He drops down way to early and gets beat high allot.

He does a strange belly flop allot and takes himself out of the play. If you watch highlights you'll see this as I am not making this up.

I know Tre says they did allot of research on Smith and justifies a lot of it but he has to make the save early in the game because this team is soft as butter mentally.

Playing from behind last year did us no good that has to change this year.

I really hope he proves me wrong but I am relieved we have Rittich and Gillies as well as Parsons and have a funny feeling well be seeing each of them this year at some point.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #55
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Goaltending remains an issue. Smith was less than confidence inspiring, and Lack was, well, lacking. The best goaltender on the night was Gillies. I get that people don't want to rush goaltenders, but someone has to step up. This team is going no where without goaltending and what they currently have pencilled in doesn't give me warm fuzzies. I think this year's tandem is worse than last. I appreciate that it is only training camp, but why did the goaltenders on the other team not look so useless?
The first two games of PRESEASON and they were split squads...

Can we atleast give the new tandum more then a day?? Post like these are tough to read - the sky isn't falling, the season hasn't started, there is still time for them to show value...

You can't compare goalies right now this year to last year; it's ridiculous to say last years tandum was better than this years based on a split squad viewing.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #56
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Also, the goalies on the other team were used to scrimmage play that had been going on almost every day of the Oilers camp so far. The Flames hadn't scrimmaged even once. They were just working on drills and systems to this point. The goalies for Calgary didn't have any meaningful practice time as of yet.

This also speaks to why the Oilers looked more polished compared to the Flames last night. It boiled down to a different focus for each team in camp to date. I don't expect it to look like this on opening night.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #57
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
^Also, the goalies on the other team were used to scrimmage play that had been going on almost every day of the Oilers camp so far. The Flames hadn't scrimmaged even once. They were just working on drills and systems to this point. The goalies for Calgary didn't have any meaningful practice time as of yet.

This also speaks to why the Oilers looked more polished compared to the Flames last night. It boiled down to a different focus for each team in camp to date. I don't expect it to look like this on opening night.
Seems like a big difference in coaching style. Inyeresting
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #58
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will there be cuts today?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #59
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Biggest disappointment last night? Those lying scumbags at the Oilers website who said they would stream both games to the entire Flames/Oilers region.

Shame on them. Shame.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #60
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The NHL product seems to focus on the refs and some of the calls tonight were ridiculous. I can't remember a preseason game where there was no fights, and I've probably been to a preseason game just about every year since the mid 90's. The NHL product taking fighting and even hitting seems removed from the game just sucks any energy out of the sport. It really just isn't that interesting without that raw intensity or emotion which comes from the physical play. There was a moment where Draisaitl was being a ###### bag to Giordano and they both got called on the play. They went to the box and were chirping each other. I thought something might come of that... a hit... a fight... a something but no looks like they peacefully and diplomatically resolved their issue through discussion in the penalty box. Talk about boring.

Couldnt agree more. Tuned in to watch some of the youngsters. Used to be pre-season was the impetus to get younger guys (and vets who werent secure) to step it up and do something. Get noticed, whatever that may be. Hit someone, fight someone, get in the face of someone etc.. Last night, and way to often in regular season as well, there is just...nothing. High skill guys have always been there and done what they do. Its the other guys that have completely morphed into playing safe/generic hockey without a lot of emotion.

Without physicality, hockey is a bore fest. Last night was all of that. Unwatchable IMO, and why i spent 30 minutes at most watching it. The NHL product has declined so much over the last 8 years or so, I wonder where it all ends. I still love the game and suspect I always will, but it just is no where as good as it once was.

What I did see last night in my brief viewing was that Jankowski looks like he can play at the NHL level right now. Good vision, thinks the game at a decent level. Needs to work on puck handling in tight space.

Dube really stood out to me as well. Like the package he brings, closer than i thought he would be at this point.

Also Monahan...looks bigger to me for some reason? That's a good thing.