Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Movie Collecting

Who here still collects physical movies? I buy Blu-Rays and 4K's all the time but it seems like the movie section of stores like Walmart and Best Buy are shrinking each year. Collection physical movies is becoming more niche like collecting records. I'm finding it harder and harder to find movie stores in Calgary these days, there doesn't seem to be many. My main source of purchasing these days is Amazon, Kijiji, Ebay or other on-line retailers. For anyone else that still collects, what does your collection look like, where do you have your best finds? Any special movies you are especially proud of? I also just started to collect Steelbooks, seems like Best Buy is the only place in Calgary to pick those up, has anyone else been able to find them elsewhere in the city? Feel free to post your most recent hauls in there as well.

Here is my most recent finds which I picked up last weekend, my collection now stands at just over 1,400:

Spoiler!
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm way down on buying DVD's and I usually only buy parts of franchises. So the last two movies that I bought were TFA and Rogue one.

I used to buy TV series, but netflix does it for me now.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The last physical DVD I bought was four years ago and it is still in its plastic wrap. With Netflix and all the shows that people tell me I must watch, I just never watch a movie twice anymore. Typically we just watch it once on Netflix or On-demand/Google Play and that's it.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I don't bother anymore. I used to have a decent collection but for how often I rewatch a movie, the wasted space just isn't worth it. I've kept a few of my favourite blurays, maybe 20-30. Even those collect dust.

The convenience of streaming is just so much better too. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crackle and Shaw, there aren't too many older movies you can't find.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I totally get it streaming has made movie watching more convenient and cheaper, why pay $20 to purchase Ant-Man when Netflix has it for $8/month plus 1000's more. I'm a relic from the old days, I love walking up and down looking at the cover art and deciding what to watch. Used to spend hours at Blockbuster doing that. It's how I got into horror movies some of those VHS covers were works of pop art and pulled me in. I find it hard to decide what to watch on Netflix unless I have a specific movie in mind, I find browsing hard to do. Consumer behavior dictates the market and its clear most people prefer streaming which makes sense.

I don't think it will ever get back to the days of the early 00's where we had Futureshop, Best Buy, HMV, Walmart, Zellers, Play, A&B Sound and countless other stores. Probably in 2 years Best Buy & Walmart will completely phase out all physical media CD's/DVD's.

The one thing I will say in favor of buying physical copies of movies is that back in the 90s/00s if a movie you enjoyed came out in theatres but didn't do so well, sometimes home video sales would be enough to turn a profit and convince studios to make a sequel. Now with a much smaller home video market movies need to do well at the box office as there is no secondary source of revenue for the movie. As well, sometimes the special features on the disk are worth the price alone but most the time they add nothing in value.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I'm sitting on the fence right now. On one hand how many times will I watch the average movie over the course of my life, 2-3 times? At worst (not on Netflix) rent on a streaming service for $6 each time? On the other hand, I am a bit of a home theater nerd. How many movies can I stream right now in 4K & HDR with no compression? If I give up my high standards for the home theater, it makes the steaming option a no-brainer.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
KPJ
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I still buy the occasional BluRay, but primarily for bonus features. When DVDs first came out, some of the director's commentaries were just as good as the movie. It's too bad streaming services can't integrate some of the bonus feature material, but they were created largely to sell the physical copy of the movie, so they are less likely to invest in it as the media become less and less relevant.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still a collector. Like you I mostly buy from Amazon, ebay, and sometimes Walmart. Sunrise Records just opened up across Canada, so I'll probably be buying quite a bit from them at least until they go out of business, which likely won't be long. Also, it's amazing what you can find at thrift stores these days since so many people have been getting rid of their collections. Stores like Value Village and Salvation Army have pretty good used movie sections now. There's a used book store here in North Vancouver where I've found some pretty obscure blurays and DVDs over the last couple of years. There's also a store here called Videomatica that has a pretty good selection.

Ever been to Amoeba Records in LA or San Francisco? That place is Disneyland for movie/music collectors. Last time I visited the Hollywood location, I probably spent a good 2 hours in there just browsing and dropped around $200. And they have huge sections for horror and obscure cult stuff as well. You can find pretty much anything there. It's amazing.

Last edited by direwolf; 08-18-2017 at 12:33 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I'm still a collector. Like you I mostly buy from Amazon, ebay, and sometimes Walmart. Sunrise Records just opened up across Canada, so I'll probably be buying quite a bit from them at least until they go out of business, which likely won't be long. Also, it's amazing what you can find at thrift stores these days since so many people have been getting rid of their collections. Stores like Value Village and Salvation Army have pretty good used movie sections now. There's a used book store here in North Vancouver where I've found some pretty obscure blurays and DVDs over the last couple of years. There's also a store here called Videomatica that has a pretty good selection.

Ever been to Amoeba Records in LA or San Francisco? That place is Disneyland for movie/music collectors. Last time I visited the Hollywood location, I probably spent a good 2 hours in there just browsing and dropped around $200. And they have huge sections for horror and obscure cult stuff as well. You can find pretty much anything there. It's amazing.
Thanks for the recommendations! Next time I'm in Vancouver I will have to check out those places. I have been to Amoeba in LA it was fantastic, I think I spend hours there and bought dozens of films. Unfortunately, there are rumors of even that being torn down: http://abc7.com/business/proposed-28...ywood/2284715/
Old 08-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I guess you could say I'm uncollected DVDs at the moment.

I've whittled my film collection down to about half what it was over the past few years. Hoping to skinny them down further. Some of the dreadful movies I purchased in the early days of DVD (like we all did, I'm sure) are mind-blowing. How 20-something year old me came to own 2005's King Kong, I'll never understand.

And yet, some movies I'll keep until I'm dead - movies that benefit from high resolution, which cannot be found on streaming services in Canada (yet, anyway.)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #11
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I have been to Amoeba in LA it was fantastic, I think I spend hours there and bought dozens of films. Unfortunately, there are rumors of even that being torn down: http://abc7.com/business/proposed-28...ywood/2284715/

Good news!

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=39718

Quote:
Amoeba Records has reassured customers that it intends to remain in Los Angeles.

In a statement posted on Facebook on Tuesday, August 8th, the record shop, located at 6400 Sunset Boulevard since opening in 2001, suggested it was considering alternate premises within the city limits.
Quote:
"Rest assured, we are NOT closing," Amoeba Records said. "But we are now in a position where we may have to change locations in the coming years. By no means does this mean that Amoeba is leaving LA. We are in discussions to remain at 6400 Sunset beyond our current lease, but we are also exploring our various options and have already been offered several spaces that could suit us well."

The statement follows the publication, on August 7th, of an 86-page planning document submitted to the Los Angeles Department Of City Planning. The plans for the 6400 Sunset Boulevard site—sold for $34 million by Amoeba Records to property developer GPI Companies in October 2015—include a "28-storey mixed-use building" with 232 residential units (including ten set aside for "very low-income households") and 7000 square feet reserved for commercial use.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a pretty heavy DVD collection. I find that I collect a lot of b movies, foreign, classic and niche movies that will never see the light of day on a streaming service. Even these are getting hard to find.

We really are being force fed what we are able to watch, as the format changes to digital. Entertainment capitalism meets communism. Quick, someone write a paper.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #13
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I have a pretty heavy DVD collection. I find that I collect a lot of b movies, foreign, classic and niche movies that will never see the light of day on a streaming service. Even these are getting hard to find.

We really are being force fed what we are able to watch, as the format changes to digital. Entertainment capitalism meets communism. Quick, someone write a paper.
Yep, me too. The only physical movies I purchase are ones you can't find on streaming services, so mostly foreign films or obscure cult films. Got some really good deals on some blu-rays during the HMV liquidation sale (a bunch of Lina Wertmuller films, Giuseppe Makes a Movie, and others).
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #14
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
How 20-something year old me came to own 2005's King Kong, I'll never understand.
My 9 year old is obsessed with King Kong, Godzilla and monster movies. The movies haven't been great in the last couple decades but I appreciate what Jackson tried to do with Kong.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #15
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still collect the Star Wars movies and the MCU movies, and will get the last two seasons of Game of Thrones when they come out. Beyond that, I don't buy many releases these days.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #16
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to but now I'm trying to sell off a bunch of them and only keep the ones I really want to save on space. It's the same for my games. There's so many I don't understand why I just didn't buy digital when they go on sale for $5.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #17
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have boxes of old discs, but generally the only ones that stay out are rare or out of print copies that aren't yet on streaming media. Criterion copies of things like Shock Corridor or Videodrome (which is now on Amazon Prime btw!), or sometimes hard to find stuff like most David Lynch films (even DVDs of Mulholland Drive are like 50$ on ebay right now) and lots of asian imports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #18
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been buying much the last few years, mostly because I just don't have a lot of time to watch movies. I don't have any of the 'blockbusters' in my collection.

The watchabilitly of what I've put together puts netflix to absolute shame, however. At any given time, there are about 6 dozen watchable flicks on that service, and I have 2000 or more where you can randomly pick one and be entertained or educated.

I think that in a decade or two, this will be looked upon as a very dark time in terms of choice and selection.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #19
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still buy blu rays, I wouldn't say I collect them but I love having physical copies of movies, especially those from my favorite franchises. Guess I'm getting old.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #20
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I have boxes of old discs, but generally the only ones that stay out are rare or out of print copies that aren't yet on streaming media. Criterion copies of things like Shock Corridor or Videodrome (which is now on Amazon Prime btw!), or sometimes hard to find stuff like most David Lynch films (even DVDs of Mulholland Drive are like 50$ on ebay right now) and lots of asian imports.
Where do you find your Criterion movies? Barnes and Nobles have 50% off sales twice a year problem is with shipping and US dollar doesn't make it any cheaper