Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #2741
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be on board for a deal focused around Brodie for Duchene. I like our defense depth/cupboards so I think it would be a good long-term plan.

That said, would have to play one of Duchene, Monahan, Bennett on 1st line RW to even bother to make the deal. Don't need Duchene if you're burying him down the lineup.

All that said, ideally, we keep Brodie and Bennett has a breakout year and convinces everyone he's way better than Duchene anyway.

Wow that was a scatterbrained post... Is it October yet?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:21 PM   #2742
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are weaker on the left side so I don't see trading Brodie as a possibility. Also would the Avs want a 27 year old in exchange for Duchene? The team is in a rebuild and should target younger assets in return. I didn't think Hamonic made sense there either.

I think if the Jackets build a deal around Ryan Murray that makes sense.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #2743
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Flames are weaker on the left side so I don't see trading Brodie as a possibility. Also would the Avs want a 27 year old in exchange for Duchene? The team is in a rebuild and should target younger assets in return. I didn't think Hamonic made sense there either.

I think if the Jackets build a deal around Ryan Murray that makes sense.

Carolina with Hanifin also fits.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:48 PM   #2744
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I'd be on board for a deal focused around Brodie for Duchene. I like our defense depth/cupboards so I think it would be a good long-term plan.

That said, would have to play one of Duchene, Monahan, Bennett on 1st line RW to even bother to make the deal. Don't need Duchene if you're burying him down the lineup.

All that said, ideally, we keep Brodie and Bennett has a breakout year and convinces everyone he's way better than Duchene anyway.

Wow that was a scatterbrained post... Is it October yet?
Haven't been too impressed with Brodie for over a year now, aside from flashes. Hopefully he can regain his 15/16 form.

But I think Hamilton is progressing past Brodie as a defenseman, so if we were to trade from a position of strength on D for a big piece up front, Brodie might make sense. But I don't know if Duchene is the player I'd be looking to flip for. He looks like a guy that has let the losing culture seep in. Just like the (1st/2nd/3rd?) rebuild players out of Edmonton. They're getting traded off a bad team for a reason.

Ideally you'd trade Giordano before any of the younger guys but with that contract it will be hard to move and depending on his level of play may not fetch as much.

Like you I hope the answers up front can come internally, but until then I'm not counting my eggs. With the cap space they have, I don't know why fetching Jagr for a low risk one year deal isn't the way to go.. Could be a pretty good stopgap solution and put less pressure on the young guys to pick up all the slack.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:55 AM   #2745
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Maybe it's just me but I would prefer Landeskog over Duchene.. signed until 2021 $5.5 mil, plays a hard nosed game and with the Flames strong cast of European players, I think he's fit in well in the locker room.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 01:15 AM   #2746
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Maybe it's just me but I would prefer Landeskog over Duchene.. signed until 2021 $5.5 mil, plays a hard nosed game and with the Flames strong cast of European players, I think he's fit in well in the locker room.

You aren't the only one. I think if he could get away from the black hole that is Colorado, his numbers would look infinitely better. Duchene's would too, but I think Landeskog plays a much more complete game, while providing some nastiness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 01:21 AM   #2747
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Landeskog is a real SOB. Which is why I'd enjoy him on the Flames considering I don't like him on Colorado.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:26 AM   #2748
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Landeskog is a real SOB. Which is why I'd enjoy him on the Flames considering I don't like him on Colorado.
It would be fun to see him in the battle of Alberta against the likes of Lucic, Maroon, and Nurse.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:37 AM   #2749
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I'd happily take any of MacKinnon, Duchene or Landeskog. Calgary doesn't have the assets to make any of those deals though, not unless both GMs lose their minds. I'd be absolutely shocked if a deal was there to be made.

That said, Tre has gone on record as stating scoring woes are what keeps him up at night. Men have done crazier things for a good night's sleep.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #2750
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the Landeskog rumors have died down. Likely because no one wants to pay the price Sakic set and Landeskog is happy to remain in Colorado unlike Duchene who is basically at the demand a trade situation now
Old 09-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #2751
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

So... I recall earlier this year that people were talking about Landeskog's value and I said you would need to include Brodie going the other way and I was Flamed beyond belief here on CP.

I still stand by my original point that, I think Brodie is a helluva player and to land Landeskog (or Duchene), he would need to be involved and is the closest guy you get a one for one deal with that the Flames could possibly consider expendable.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #2752
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So... I recall earlier this year that people were talking about Landeskog's value and I said you would need to include Brodie going the other way and I was Flamed beyond belief here on CP.

I still stand by my original point that, I think Brodie is a helluva player and to land Landeskog (or Duchene), he would need to be involved and is the closest guy you get a one for one deal with that the Flames could possibly consider expendable.
He's the only thing that should be required. Brodie is a top pairing 27 year old D with three years left at $4.65M. And if Sakic wants anything beyond that, this should be Treliving's follow up text.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #2753
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I wouldn't trade Brodie for Duchene or Landeskog.

Why would Brodie be expendable? Kulak becomes our 2nd best LHD?

We can't trade Hamonic we just gave up a ton to get him. Stone doesn't have the value and was just re-signed. Dougie is too valuable to trade as well.

I don't know why the Avs would want a 27 year old Dman for any of their players that are younger when they need to rebuild.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #2754
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We can't trade Hamonic we just gave up a ton to get him. Stone doesn't have the value and was just re-signed. Dougie is too valuable to trade as well.

I don't know why the Avs would want a 27 year old Dman for any of their players that are younger when they need to rebuild.
Brodie isn't expendable. But he's the cost. And if you examine how Stanley Cup champs construct their rosters, he's a luxury. You generally need one Norris calibre player, one Boychuk/Seabrook level player, and a one Voynov/Stralman type.

The Flames have Gio, Dougie and Hamonic, and tick all those boxes. The other three guys need to be able to keep their head above water and spell off the top pair. They need to be good decision makers, and they need to not burn you with stupid mistakes. They don't need to be 30 point players, they don't need to be possession gods, they just need to work. If you can re-allocate resources to get another 1st line offensive talent, I think you should.

Colorado wants a 27 year old D because Capfriendly lists them with FOUR(!!!!) NHL D on their roster - Erik Johnson, Tyson Barrie, Nikita Zadorov and someone else I've never heard of. They might be rebuilding, but it's not like Brodie is a pending free agent. He's under control for three more years at a reasonable number.

The other component here is that Sakic simply hasn't been offered the packages he wants. If he had, Duchene would be gone. Teams no he has no option, so they're not going to rush to meet his ask. Sakic is Iginlaing this negotiation, full stop. The prospects he gets, if he gets them, will be Berra + Cundari level fodder.

I would feel an awful lot better about the prospect of doing this if our goaltending was settled.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #2755
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

We can't even trade Brodie until we really see how Hamonic is on this team. Maybe one gets expendable later, but as of right now Bartkowski, Kulak, Wotherspoon, Kylington and Valimaki are NOT good 2nd pairing options.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #2756
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
We can't even trade Brodie until we really see how Hamonic is on this team. Maybe one gets expendable later, but as of right now Bartkowski, Kulak, Wotherspoon, Kylington and Valimaki are NOT good 2nd pairing options.
I agree with this. I'd add Stone probably moves up and plays the left side in the event of a Brodie trade - but you're right, we really shouldn't make this trade right now.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #2757
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to mention Nashville made it to the SCF by their defense. I personally think we have roughly have a same solid d-core like them and more game-breaking players on offense. I think we should stay put. Honestly, if we were to trade for somebody, it's for an elite goalie, because that's what we lack. The Anaheim series proved that.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #2758
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Not to mention Nashville made it to the SCF by their defense. I personally think we have roughly have a same solid d-core like them and more game-breaking players on offense. I think we should stay put. Honestly, if we were to trade for somebody, it's for an elite goalie, because that's what we lack. The Anaheim series proved that.
Don't forget though, Nashville lost because they had one elite centreman, and he never played in the Finals.

That's why we didn't beat Tampa. Our best centre was Craig Conroy. The Lightning had Brad Richards and Lecavalier in the prime of their lives. We lost the Stanley Cup because Vincent Lecavalier walked through Robyn Regehr like he wasn't there and fed Fedotenko in the slot. And if Iggy wasn't going to save us, nobody was.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 09-22-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #2759
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Don't forget though, Nashville lost because they had one elite centreman, and he never played in the Finals.

That's why we didn't beat Tampa. Our best centre was Craig Conroy. The Lightning had Brad Richards and Lecavalier in the prime of their lives. We lost the Stanley Cup because Vincent Lecavalier walked through Robyn Regehr like he wasn't there and fed Fedotenko in the slot. And if Iggy wasn't going to save us, nobody was.
The Flames either won that series or were a millimeter away in game six
Old 09-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #2760
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yup, he would be in the top 5 of untouchables on this team. Great player, great contract.

Closed Thread