Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #81
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

So in the off chance Lupul passes this evaluation, what happens to the Leafs?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #82
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is really interesting now.

I think the NHL may suspect something is going on.

The reason Lupul didn't get a second opinion is because he knows he will pass and have to play in the AHL or something (IMO).
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #83
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
So in the off chance Lupul passes this evaluation, what happens to the Leafs?
Since I really want to go deeper down this conspiracy rabbit hole...the NHL is doing this purely for optics, just like they did for the Hossa situation.

There is no scenario where the Leafs aren't cleared here.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #84
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Did the league do this for Hossa?
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #85
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Did the league do this for Hossa?
Or did they do this because other teams complained that the Leafs might be involved in cap circumvention with having players on LTIR who shouldn't be.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #86
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

From Friedman's 30 thoughts, it isn't unprecedented that the league investigates. He specifically gave a Flames example.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/j...d-brian-boyle/

Quote:
2. Joffrey Lupul tweeted Wednesday that he will not pursue a second opinion to challenge his failed physical with Toronto. The question now becomes: does the NHL ask him to see a doctor for its own ruling?

It’s not unprecedented. During the 2008-09 season, other clubs complained after Calgary placed Rhett Warrener on waivers, then put him on long-term injury, where he spent the season. The defenceman was examined twice, the second time when the Flames were forced to play with just 15 skaters because of salary-cap problems. Philadelphia was on LTIR for almost a decade and, while no one would confirm it, word was there were several occasions where Flyers players had to see league-appointed physicians.

As a couple of Lupul’s former teammates indicated, he still wants to play. That’s different than say, Andrew Ference/Edmonton or Chris Pronger/Philadelphia. As you all know, if you don’t live in Toronto, you hate Toronto; certainly opposing teams wouldn’t mind seeing the Maple Leafs with a deeper cap crunch. But, how many really want tougher policing?
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #87
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

According to James Mirtle of the Athletic, the league's doctors will also be examinging Hossa:

https://theathletic.com/107546/2017/...health-status/

Quote:
Here's what we know about the independent review that will take place:

Lupul isn't considered at fault here. This investigation is about whether the league believes the Leafs have misused the system by declaring a healthy player injured in order to get around the roster limit or salary cap. “Essentially it's a safeguard in the CBA to make sure long-term injured reserve is not abused by the clubs,” one source said.

The league initiated this process. I'm told that this wasn't a result of other teams complaining but directly because the league saw the allegations from Lupul on Instagram.

This isn't the first time this has happened. One source called these medical reviews “common,” although it's unclear what exactly that means. (Other sources disputed that these medical reviews happen regularly.) What's interesting is that two are happening at the same time this year: One with Lupul and another with Marian Hossa in Chicago. With Hossa's case, a lot of other teams complained the Blackhawks were getting cap relief.

These reviews are supposed to be completed before the season starts, so we should have more answers within the next 12 days.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #88
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a hard one as can you force a guy like Hossa to play. If he has some kind of allergy that is easily dealt with through medication but he doesn't want to take it - can the league say he's injured but not treating it - so you can't put him on LTIR?
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #89
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
From Friedman's 30 thoughts, it isn't unprecedented that the league investigates. He specifically gave a Flames example.
Something's missing right before "Philadelphia". I assume he meant Pronger?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #90
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
This is a hard one as can you force a guy like Hossa to play. If he has some kind of allergy that is easily dealt with through medication but he doesn't want to take it - can the league say he's injured but not treating it - so you can't put him on LTIR?
I think the allergy excuse by itself shouldn't fly. I would want proof that after a game that his skin is breaking out. The guy has been playing hockey since he was a kid and all of a sudden he can't because of some allergy? If this problem was causing him discomfort for the past season or two surely the team and Hossa would have the foresight to inform the NHL when it was actually happening and that he may have to retire because of it. All we got is this announcement in the offseason that many of us initially thought was a hoax. IMO this one is 100% cap circumvention and a player that doesn't want to play at the reduced salary on the back years of the deal. Since Mirtle said "a lot of other teams" that means most of the league thinks this is a joke.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-22-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #91
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Probably meant to write "Philadelphia's Chris Pronger"
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #92
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think this is really interesting now.

I think the NHL may suspect something is going on.

The reason Lupul didn't get a second opinion is because he knows he will pass and have to play in the AHL or something (IMO).
As opposed to not playing at all? If he really is healthy and wants to play, at least playing in the AHL would allow him a chance to demonstrate to another team that he could still be a useful addition.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #93
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
That's exactly what the league could say. His condition can be dealt with and he can be physically cleared. But if he doesn't want to play then he can retire and the team is forced to take the straight cap hit.

I mean does anyone doubt that in the next few of years Lucic and the Oilers will find an injury that will stop him from playing. I tend to think that his contract by design will encourage this.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #94
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No, he's saying the Flyers consistently used LTIR space to stay cap compliant every year for nearly a decade. Pronger was one of the players in that situation, but not the only one.

Change "Philadelphia was on LTIR..." to "Philadelphia used LTIR space..." and it still makes sense:
Quote:
Philadelphia was on LTIR for almost a decade and, while no one would confirm it, word was there were several occasions where Flyers players had to see league-appointed physicians.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #95
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Daren Millard @darenmillard
The @NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly tells @SNHockeyCentral at noon @MapleLeafs Joffery Lupul failed his second physical, goes on LTIR
Old 10-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #96
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Daren Millard @darenmillard
The @NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly tells @SNHockeyCentral at noon @MapleLeafs Joffery Lupul failed his second physical, goes on LTIR
Does not surprise me. Hossa on the other hand is clearly cap circumvention, lets see how seriously the NHL enforces its rules.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #97
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks to me like the leafs have found a Loop hole... a Joffery Loop hole...
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #98
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hearing Hossa is allowed to go to LTIR, so the NHL continues to be a joke when it comes to cap circumvention. I wonder if we can get Troy Brouwer to suddenly become allergic to ice?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:35 AM   #99
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Hearing Hossa is allowed to go to LTIR, so the NHL continues to be a joke when it comes to cap circumvention. I wonder if we can get Troy Brouwer to suddenly become allergic to ice?
I know this looks "funny" to everyone but it is not something that is exactly new. In the late '70's I played with a young guy that was a great hockey player. He kept getting a rash and out of the blue quit playing on doctor's orders because of this same type of rash. I can see it happening but it still looks fishy.

Here is another article about a guy who had to quit, they call it Gunk. http://www.nosweatesporta.ca/Pages/N...dingfungus.htm
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #100
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think Hossa's situation is legit, I listened to some interviews with other NHL players and it sounded like they were aware he was having issues with his gear (prior to going on LTIR).
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote