Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #501
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm still embarrassed by that game.

Never had so much secondhand embarrassment for this team. Made us look like chumps and we're a #1 seed.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #502
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Flames are giving Mackinnon too much respect. He needs to be abused every shift.
Well that's where officiating absolutely factors in. You have 7 series where the announcers are constantly mentioning regular season penalties that are being let go "because that's how the playoffs are officiated".

Then you get to the Flames game and it's like you've gone back in time 3 weeks where every horizontal stick touch and slight grab is an automatic, emphatic penalty call.

It's bizarre.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #503
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Flames need to play like their season is on the line tomorrow, because it probably is.

Win and you steal home ice back, making it a best of 3 with 2 games at home.

Lose and the team is done no doubt about it. An embarrassing 1st round loss would kill my interest in making video highlights anymore.
Don't blame you. After that season, going out to a team with 20 less points would also make me want to retire from making highlight videos of them for a while. More so if it's in the fashion it has been to this point.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #504
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Nope. Instead they did a video session/meeting.
Honestly that might be for the best. Like I said earlier our zone entries are killing us. Unreal amount of turn overs at the blue line everybody standing along it waiting and then next thing you know it’s an odd man rush the other way. Time to breakdown exactly what’s happening and make changes.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #505
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://theathletic.com/928120/2019/...xpected-goals/

Behind a paywall, but essentially, the game last night is the second most lopsided game from an expected goals standpoint in the last decade. Only 50 total games in the last ten years have had an expected goals margin of >3.5 (only 3 of those are playoff games). The Flames stunk their way to a - 3.6.

Awful stuff. I knew it was bad when I was watching it last night. But I didn't actually comprehend how comically bad it was.

If that's not a massive wake up call, I don't know what else to say. The Flames better come out tomorrow with their best game of the year, or this series is over in 5.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #506
questionmotives
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's a day later and I am still numb from whatever that is we saw from the Flames last night. I've been a fan of this team since before I even knew what being a fan meant and I literally had to walk away from that scene last night.

Shades of the Flames/Wings series before the Sutter era officially collapsed, where you almost just wanted it to be over for the sake of Kipper/Smitty.

Hoping I feel less jaded after tomorrow night, but otherwise won't feel bad skipping game five for the lady's birthday.

GFG...
Old 04-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #507
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Well that's where officiating absolutely factors in. You have 7 series where the announcers are constantly mentioning regular season penalties that are being let go "because that's how the playoffs are officiated".

Then you get to the Flames game and it's like you've gone back in time 3 weeks where every horizontal stick touch and slight grab is an automatic, emphatic penalty call.

It's bizarre.
Well, you aren't making it up...
Powerplays per game

Flames/Avs 10.6
Sharks/Knights 9.6
Caps/Canes 8.3
Blues/Jets 7
Stars/Preds 7
Pens/isles 6
Leafs/Bruins 5
Jackets/Bolts 4.3
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #508
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmotives View Post
It's a day later and I am still numb from whatever that is we saw from the Flames last night. I've been a fan of this team since before I even knew what being a fan meant and I literally had to walk away from that scene last night.

Shades of the Flames/Wings series before the Sutter era officially collapsed, where you almost just wanted it to be over for the sake of Kipper/Smitty.

Hoping I feel less jaded after tomorrow night, but otherwise won't feel bad skipping game five for the lady's birthday.

GFG...
I feel you here. At this point I just hope they can keep it respectable and not get embarrassed again tomorrow night.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #509
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It will be abundantly clear if they’re invested first few shifts next game. Do they have any self starters? Are they just waiting for someone to lead them?

The guys who wear letters need to set the tone. They HAVE TO show what they’re about. Half measures or full on committed?

Top line guys obviously included there.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #510
jayswin

Exp:

Correlates perfectly. Especially since the Vegas series is propped up by lots of roughing and fighting penalties from nasty scrums. We don't have much of that, it's just weak, regular season calls still dominating the games.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #511
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

If this was a game in regular season, sure that's pretty bad. Time to regroup and see what's up.

But this is ####ing playoffs. You come to play every single game or else you're out. There's no time to "maybe be blown out a game or two". Absolutely unacceptable and completely embarrassing as the #1 seed in the West.

I'm still ####ing mad.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #512
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Well, you aren't making it up...
Powerplays per game

Flames/Avs 10.6
Sharks/Knights 9.6
Caps/Canes 8.3
Blues/Jets 7
Stars/Preds 7
Pens/isles 6
Leafs/Bruins 5
Jackets/Bolts 4.3
The east has been properly officiated for playoffs, is what I've noticed. I don't think the players over there have been nicer to each other, or less physical at all.

Dishing out the full 2 minute 5 on 3 in what was at that time a tightly contested game and the parade of game misconducts was just stupid to watch.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #513
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
If this was a game in regular season, sure that's pretty bad. Time to regroup and see what's up.

But this is ####ing playoffs. You come to play every single game or else you're out. There's no time to "maybe be blown out a game or two". Absolutely unacceptable and completely embarrassing as the #1 seed in the West.

I'm still ####ing mad.

As bad as the last two games have been, it's a far ways from being over. This team didn't win the west this regular season by being a pushover. There is no reason to think they won't step up and even this up tomorrow given they've won the games they've needed to all year long.

Pretty much every cup winner has a couple bad games throughout the playoffs. Hopefully this is the event that summons their pride and snaps them back into what got them here this season.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 04-16-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #514
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The east has been properly officiated for playoffs, is what I've noticed. I don't think the players over there have been nicer to each other, or less physical at all.

Dishing out the full 2 minute 5 on 3 in what was at that time a tightly contested game and the parade of game misconducts was just stupid to watch.
Agree 100%
I place no blame on officiating, but that was the worst call(s) I have seen in a long time.
You define the game by those early calls.
I don't really have a problem with the 10's. But play them out even.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #515
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Agree 100%
I place no blame on officiating, but that was the worst call(s) I have seen in a long time.
You define the game by those early calls.
I don't really have a problem with the 10's. But play them out even.
It may have been a touch weak, but MacKinnon was blowing past Fantanberg with a great scoring chance and he hooked his hands causing him to lose the puck. If it wasn't essentially taking away a break away chance it might not get called. The too many men was just an unlucky sequence. Hard to complain about that.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #516
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It may have been a touch weak, but MacKinnon was blowing past Fantanberg with a great scoring chance and he hooked his hands causing him to lose the puck. If it wasn't essentially taking away a break away chance it might not get called. The too many men was just an unlucky sequence. Hard to complain about that.
On the replay it looked like he actually lifted Mackinnon's stick near his hand, then Mackinnon threw his hand in the air and screamed, prompting a call.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #517
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If I had no prior knowledge of these two teams other than watching games 1-3 I’d probably assume Colorado is the 1 seed and Calgary is the 8 seed.

I’d also be comfortable saying Colorado is simply a better team, top to bottom, from the 3 games thus far. Save goaltending.

It’s not even that Calgary is a bad team, they’re just outmatched at every position. It happens sometimes.

Of course we all know that isn’t true. But that’s what it looks like.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #518
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
A little weak?
Fantenberg had 1 hand on the stick
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #519
jayswin

Exp:

I know it's likely irrational and untrue but I've been kind of annoyed feeling like Gaudreau was skating and playing like I'd never seen before in his quest for 100 points, choosing to not even sit out games.

Then the playoffs hit and it seems the fire and intensity isn't at quite the same level. I hope he wouldn't actually value a point race over playoffs in his heart. (Not saying he would purposely value a points race more but just maybe has a natural edge for getting point records).
Old 04-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #520
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing on the officiating that really bothered me was the 10 minute misconducts to Chucky and Bennett yesterday.

Nothing in the plays were worthy of those, they were handed out preemptively to avoid "violence that could happen" in the last 10 minutes of a runaway game.

While I understand the refs want to avoid the end of the game turning in mayhem, I can't understand how it's ok to give you penalties that are based on actions that have not yet happened. They essentially gave out misconducts for the future.
In no other sport would that happen.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote