Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 7 3.02%
Alexander Yelesin 7 3.02%
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 6 2.59%
Carl-Johan Lerby 1 0.43%
Demetrios Koumontzis 6 2.59%
Dmitry Zavgorodniy 26 11.21%
Dustin Wolf 1 0.43%
Eetu Tuulola 8 3.45%
Filip Sveningsson 8 3.45%
Glenn Gawdin 6 2.59%
Illya Nikolaev 78 33.62%
Jeremy McKenna 0 0%
Jon Gillies 11 4.74%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 1 0.43%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Martin Pospisil 55 23.71%
Milos Roman 1 0.43%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 2 0.86%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 2 0.86%
Ryan Lomberg 5 2.16%
Spencer Foo 1 0.43%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #21
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nikolaev, then Pospisil, then the two I can't spell
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #22
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

People aren’t big on Gawdin?

His last season in the Dub he had 125pts in 67 regular games and 32 more in 24 playoff games, while captaining the Broncos to a Memorial Cup win. Even won the Playoff MVP in spite of playing through a shoulder injury.

Turned pro the next year (last season), and put up 38 in 64 as a rookie on a non-playoff team.

Not as flashy as some of the other names, but I really like the kid. I see him as a potential Ferklund. He racks up a ton of PIMs to go with his points.

Edit: PIMs is an important stat for power forwards. It separates the guys that have size and play mean from other guys that have size and win Lady Byngs.

Last edited by FanIn80; 07-15-2019 at 07:22 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #23
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

From my viewings, Gawdin reminds me of a slightly more scrappy Derek Ryan. Very low-event player with the puck in both ends of the ice, but in a good way. He is a good suppressor who can chip in efficiently at the offensive zone. I don't see a particularly high ceiling but I think he'll be an effective player.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #24
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
From my viewings, Gawdin reminds me of a slightly more scrappy Derek Ryan. Very low-event player with the puck in both ends of the ice, but in a good way. He is a good suppressor who can chip in efficiently at the offensive zone. I don't see a particularly high ceiling but I think he'll be an effective player.
Every championship needs a Stephane Yelle, so I’m on board with this outlook!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #25
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Every championship needs a Stephane Yelle, so I’m on board with this outlook!
I could see that. Conversely, Gawdin had that one crazy season with Swift Current where he put up 125 points, so that would imply that there could be some greater offensive potential with him. But he was an overager playing on a pretty stacked team.

I will say that his most impressive offensive attribute is his shot. He has a cannon and frequently utilizes a Cammalleri-esque one-knee one-timer. He's a decent distributor, too. But the guy I compared him to, Ryan, is no slouch offensively, either.

Gawdin is definitely an intriguing prospect and I could see him being an early call-up this season. I think he goes around 11 or 12 on my list.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:40 PM   #26
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a spread. Only 8 guys with 0 votes at the time of this post.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #27
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Ryan is our second best forward at carrying the puck into the offensive zone(unfortunately). Not someone I would call a low event player. He's a much better skater and puck handler than Gawdin.

That is not Gawdin's game. Hathaway is a more apt comparison.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #28
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
That is not Gawdin's game.
I can’t read this kids name without hearing a Boston accent saying ‘garden’ in my head.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #29
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nikolaev could be the steal of the draft at 88th.

9th ranked European
23rd Draft Analyst/Sporting News
27th ISS
29th Dobber
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:29 PM   #30
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Ryan is our second best forward at carrying the puck into the offensive zone(unfortunately). Not someone I would call a low event player. He's a much better skater and puck handler than Gawdin.

Ryan has rather low Corsi rates in both CF and CA. He doesn't create a ton of chances and he doesn't allow many. Hence, low-event.

Gawdin doesn't remind me of Hathaway much at all.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 07-15-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #31
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Uh, respectfully disagree. Gawdin plays nothing like Hathaway.

Also, voted him twice now - legit prospect with no real flaws. “Safe” bottom six player with some offensive upside. Got size, a good shot, two way play, some snarl and is a right shot. Underrated.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:55 PM   #32
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Martin Pospisil
Passable two-way utility player but a loose cannon. Big on-ice discipline issues but deserves a pile of credit for reigning that in relative to last year (still wild compared to peers). Despite that, his per-TOI production is very very impressive, even if his individual ability to generate shots is average. Excellent on the powerplay. If he can improve his skating, and pick his spots of aggression a bit better - which should come with maturity - he could be a coveted player with a mean streak who can also contribute offensively. I see him playing wing full-time as a pro.

Ceiling: 2nd line W/pest
Probable: 3/4 line W
Floor: Loose cannon bust

Also in consideration
Adam Ruzicka
He's big, he has decent hands and offensively ability, he is decent in his own end...but his attitude and commitment are concerns. He isn't always engaged and is easily rattled and knocked off his game, and when that happens he looks like a beer league player during a 10:45 PM weekday game going through the motions to get home ASAP. But when he is on he can drive a line and contribute at both ends of the ice. 32 even-strength goals in 65 games is impressive as is generating over 3.5 shots per game, while also having decent vision. Excellent in the dot, too. If he can get the mental side figured out he has a good shot at making it. If not, he'll be saying "what if" when he looks back on things later in life.

Ceiling: 2nd line C
Probable: 4A C
Floor: Outright bust

Jeremy McKenna
One dimensional goal scorer but scoring goals is the most difficult skill in hockey. Excellent at getting open and finding gaps in coverage which allows him to get his hard and accurate shot off. Also terrific on the powerplay. But, his defensive shortcomings significantly reduce his probability of success. Hockey is full of junior snipers who didn't pan out, but there are a few who have turned into mighty good scorers. Over 5 shots per game is insane.

Ceiling: 2nd line W
Probable: Tweener
Floor: Outright bust

Ilya Nikolayev
Good numbers as a relatively late birth in an underrated league with no powerplay time. Says he models himself after Patrice Bergeron which causes excitement on its own. Like Mr. Bergeron, good in the dot himself. Very interested in monitoring him next season and I hope he takes the initiative to generate more individual opportunities with a larger role.

Ceiling: 2nd line C
Probable: Undetermined pending viewings
Floor: Never comes to N.A.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post: