Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2019, 04:09 AM   #301
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 04-16-2019 at 04:24 AM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:26 AM   #302
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
Why Flames? Why do you put up the best regular season I’ve witnessed in my life and then leave me with this???
90-96 was like this. Being a flames fan is no fun.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to locsofblu For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 04:29 AM   #303
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

If they lose this series it's time to re evaluate our core. Getting sick of watching Gaudreau and Monahan suck.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:31 AM   #304
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
If they lose this series it's time to re evaluate our core. Getting sick of watching Gaudreau and Monahan suck.
If they lose this series you have to think management’s current long term plan gets shredded.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:43 AM   #305
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames lose this series there needs to be some very thoughtful analysis of what the hell happened. I mean, really, why are they in this situation? What's going on with them mentally? Why did they come into the series so weak? Why are they caving when they need to step up, even though they weren't that way throughout the season? How didn't they see this coming and make adjustments before the wheels started falling off?

Everyone's confidence seems shaken now because the reality being experienced is wildly different than the reality everyone believed in.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:00 AM   #306
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He's had one good game in the last 30 or so, he has not been one of our "best players" for a long time and now he is dragging down our current best players, probably injured but regardless he's playing lazy and soft and should sit.
I agree that he’s not playing well, but even still he’s managed to get on the scoresheet 2/3 games. No, that doesn’t excuse his poor play but sitting him is an absolutely awful idea and no amount of “he’s playing bad recently” will convince me otherwise.

He was over a PPG player this season because yes, he is one of our best players even though he doesn’t look like it right now. You absolutely do not sit those guys in the playoffs because they’re playing bad. You really want to swap him out for Dube or Czarnik? We need Monahan to play well, and that isn’t possible if he’s not playing at all.

If anyone up front should sit it should be Neal.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:09 AM   #307
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I can’t get too worked up here. Flames were moments away from being up 2-0 coming into this game. Playoffs have weird momentum swings. Calgary needs to go into Denver and impose their will on them. Force the momentum to swing back. They are good enough to take control and win this series.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:21 AM   #308
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I can’t get too worked up here. Flames were moments away from being up 2-0 coming into this game. Playoffs have weird momentum swings. Calgary needs to go into Denver and impose their will on them. Force the momentum to swing back. They are good enough to take control and win this series.
Unfortunately, i find game 3 to have been an extension of game 2. Avs completely dominating, easy entries into the zone, flames generating very little offensively and mike smith being brilliant. Only reason game 3 was lost by a wider margin is the avs pp clicking.

Unless Peter's splits tge top line up, and far more importantly, unless he can figure out how to slow the avs transition game,, while generating fast transition for his team, flames could be done the year before the frigin weekend.

Flames gonna flames. 30 years of this crap.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:23 AM   #309
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Avs board has an ATL, it must be hilarious
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:29 AM   #310
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I’m going to stay positive. Hockey is just entertainment to me now. I don’t bleed Flames red like I used to for the first 20 years of their existence. Now I cheer them on, win or lose.

The Lightning are possibly going out 4-0 tonight. Some of their fans are being merciless online. One of the best teams in history. It happens.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:32 AM   #311
omelete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Speed's killed the Flames the last two games. Both physical and mental.

Can't generate any extended offensive zone time because they're losing every race for a loose puck. Can't get out of our zone for long stretches for the same reason.

The defense is backing up into Smith on every Avs rush giving them the time and space to do what they want. Why? Because if they step up the Avs will just blow right past them.

They're even thinking slow. Look how crisp and fast the Avs PP moves the puck around. Then look at the Flames. Even when they have possession of the puck they need time to think about what they're going to do every step of way. And the Avs aren't giving them that time.

Wednesday will show what this team is made of. IMO they have to win the next two. I can't see them winning game six in Colorado if it gets that far.

Last edited by omelete; 04-16-2019 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Paragraphs
omelete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omelete For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:59 AM   #312
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Absolutely.
The widespread panic and dread is almost amusing.
Except when it's as vile as some of this is.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 06:12 AM   #313
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Absolutely.
The widespread panic and dread is almost amusing.
Except when it's as vile as some of this is.
The Flames just allowed almost 60 shots and now have to win 3/4 games.
Things are actually pretty dire.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:16 AM   #314
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
The Flames just allowed almost 60 shots and now have to win 3/4 games.
Things are actually pretty dire.
Sure. So let's see what happens Wednesday.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:18 AM   #315
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Today may the most important day of the season for this group. Peters doesn't strike me as a rah rah or toss-the-stick-into-the-stands type of guy. He's an Xs and Os coach. And that's exactly what this team needs right now. With travel days now between each game moving forward, today is probably the last time either coach can make a meaningful adjustment to their game plan and structure.

I'm encouraged that Peters post-game singled out what I agree is the single biggest thing killing this team right now: transition. Avs exit their zone enter the offensive zone with tons of speed. The Flames have none of it. It's tough to generate speed when you are slumping, which the Flames have been for some time (we all know it). So trying to simply improve 'intensity' I believe (and hopefully Peters agrees) is fool's errand. The Flames should focus on eliminating the Avs speed and frustrating them, and try to get this to be a much tighter, closer game.

I said it after game 2 and no one really responded. I think the Avs transition (whole game really) runs through MacKinnon, and I would shadow him NJ Devils trap-era style. Guys who are struggling offensively, like Lindholm, Ryan and even Backlund, could find a role while the Flames have the puck simply following McKinnon around (the 'shadow'). He should NEVER be open when the Avs gain possession from the Flames' blue line out. No more full speed breaks through the neutral zone. Like I said before, I think this would end up frustrating the Avs star, who has shown he can easily let his emotion get head of him. And I also believe, that with the Avs, when you cut off the head, the snake's body will quickly die.

I think the winner of game 5 will ultimately win the series, and I think that will be Calgary. The Avs probably will win the next game, but the tempo should change dramatically. I just don't see the Avs winning all 3 home games though, and I don't see them winning in a game 7 if it goes that far. Hope I'm right.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #316
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Let Czarnik play - get rid of Neal at the very least. And Quine could play for Jankowski for seconds. I'm another one liking Valimaki having a go too. I also want to see their heads up on the bench - talking to each other. They look shell shocked and beaten. Where's my never say die Flames. My third period battlers. Come on boys. We can do this!
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #317
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

At least Neal was actually trying to lay the body last night.

Too bad he could only catch a handful of guys.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #318
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope the flames players are even half as embarrassed about that game as their fans are.

Our top players have been pedestrian for 3 months now - it’s time to get in the game.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:36 AM   #319
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m hoping we respond to this pasting the way we did to the shellacking by the Penguins earlier in the season.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #320
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
Let Czarnik play - get rid of Neal at the very least. And Quine could play for Jankowski for seconds. I'm another one liking Valimaki having a go too. I also want to see their heads up on the bench - talking to each other. They look shell shocked and beaten. Where's my never say die Flames. My third period battlers. Come on boys. We can do this!
As mentioned before, it truly doesn't matter if it's Czarnik/Neal/Janko/Valimaki playing or not. Neal takes the body at least, but I've given up on him.

As long as Gaudreau/Monahan and to a lesser extent Lindholm(at least he is decent defensively and hits) continues to crap the bed, Flames aren't winning another game let along the series.

It starts and ends with our top players getting owned and being much less than average, passengers. With the exception of Gio, the top players(1st line) have been pedestrian for three months. The only consistency the top line has shown during that time is mediocrity.

Last edited by soulchoice; 04-16-2019 at 06:40 AM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote