Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #41
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Not a fan of acquiring Dubois.

The street I grew up on has 17 houses on it.

Gosh darn it, if I can't be the first member of the Calgary Flames from my street, then I don't want anyone to be!

Seriously though, if we get Dubois, I'm ordering his jersey.

Go Eagles Go

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #42
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it will be interesting to see if any players get traded across the border this year, as to me the potential quarantine issues make trading guys as part of hockey related deals complicated as you then take a guy out of your line up and presumably can't replace him.

A lesser issue if you are trading away a guy for futures.

Always interesting to think of the flames adding a guy; however, the cost is always the question
Old 01-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #43
Southern_Canuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That doesn't work. Montreal would be bringing in +$4.5 m in cap, but have only about $700k of room. Someone else would gave to be going back to CBJ.
Ooops - You're right, Montreal would have to include a contract like Tomas Tatar or Ben Chiarot to make the trade work...

But I still feel like there is a Finland-Quebecois trade seed there...

S_C
Southern_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #44
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

If Monahan is involved. Hard pass. I do not understand people wanting to trade him. He’s a low end #1, high end #2 centre. He’s paid what he’s worth or even slightly less. He scored goals at a rate that’s above 95% of the players that have ever played for this team. I don’t get it.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #45
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

LeBrun lists 12 teams that have inquired and then says he’s sure that other teams are interested In PLD as well. That’s half the league.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #46
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Canuck View Post
Ooops - You're right, Montreal would have to include a contract like Tomas Tatar or Ben Chiarot to make the trade work...

S_C
You are forgetting the Kokieniemi isn't very good
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #47
Unknown
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Canuck View Post

S_C
Kekäläinen won't trade Dubois for a winger, I think. There will be a trade, where at least one fine center is going back to Columbus.

E: Oh, looks like you meant Kotkaniemi, not Laine. My bad.
Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #48
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
LeBrun lists 12 teams that have inquired and then says he’s sure that other teams are interested In PLD as well. That’s half the league.
A GM would not be doing their job if they didn't inquire. Every team should be on that list.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #49
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post

codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #50
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
You are forgetting his age and how talented he is. Saying he isn't very good is just not true.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I was all-in on PLD up until last night. There's no way you can consistently win with a guy like that. I don't think even Kovalev or Yashin ever pulled something like that.

Anyone the Flames trade for PLD will be a core and well-liked piece. Imagine what everyone in the dressing room will think of him the minute he walks in the door.

I suppose if he can be had on the cheap it's fine, but some GM is going to overpay for that hot mess.
Other people have addressed Kovalev, but I can pull you a clip of Ovechkin putting in even less effort a few years ago, and people said he was done, he'd lost interest and would never be the same guy he was.

A trade for him needs some serious thought, but that play's not a deal breaker.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #52
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is funny when people discussed PLD and referenced the Leafs game in the playoffs and I actually read Flames fans on HF say they would give up Monahan and Gaudreau for PLD. Now after yesterday’s game people are putting together packages around Bennett, Kylington etc.

I don’t know what the price is for the Flames. I am guilty of drinking the kool-aid but I have loved everything I have heard about the drive and attitude Monahan currently has. That and the fact Lindholm wants to be a center and looks good doing it I am not sure where the fit and what price the Flames can pay?

I am also excited and intrigued by the play of Hanifin since he was paired with Tanev. The world juniors has sold me on the fact Pelletier is the type of player you want on your team.

Getting PLD makes sense because this team can always use your potential superstars and the 2021 1st is firmly on the table but I am not sure the other assets this team would move is enough.

Is Mangiapane a good enough centerpiece? I doubt it and then there I love what I have seen from him as well. It honestly would be a lot easier to throw around proposals if the flames didn’t look so good out of the gate. Having said that Vancouver looks like a doormat right now so maybe I am reading too much into these early games.

Gotta trust Tree on this one
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #53
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Every team in the league should be interested in a big skilled 22 year old oozing with potential.

There is no doubt to me Monahan is where it starts for Columbus. After watching Colorado then Dallas dismantle us in the playoffs its beyond obvious this team needs a big shake up.

Treliving knows this. This is the perfect shake up that will benefit the team for years to come.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #54
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Gaudreau for PLD but it has to happen now to make sense
Need to throw in Jankowski, Hanowski and maybe Mike Wazowski.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #55
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames can make a deal for PLD without dipping into the core they should be all over it. I still say you do Hanifin ($4.95) and Bennett ($2.55) for PLD ($5.0). One really good player in Hanifin and then a reclamation project in Bennett that could still turn into something (sell that hope Tre). A little risk for both teams, but one where the Flames take on a higher potential return if PLD gets his #### together. As it is, PLD would come in and be viewed as a support player and not the guy to carry the mail. Might help him get it together.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #56
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

We also need to understand PLD is 22 and has not fully matured as a player or person. I also think whatever team gets him will get a very motivated player. From the Flames standpoint I think Ward is the type of coach that gets through to players and is more of a players coach. Reasons like that give me hope for the potential if the Flames can get him.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:53 PM   #57
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Lol. Lots of massive conclusions being drawn from a quick vid of one shift.
No kidding. By the same logic, no one should ever take Ovechkin. Remember that video of him from years back.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #58
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t think I want to give up any of, who I view as, our top 6 forwards in Monahan, Lindholm, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane and Dube.

Ideally it would be Bennett, Hanifin and a 1st but yea I could see that not being enough.

I don’t know how the team would respond to trading one of our top 4 forwards and I like Mangiapane and Dube..
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #59
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Other people have addressed Kovalev, but I can pull you a clip of Ovechkin putting in even less effort a few years ago, and people said he was done, he'd lost interest and would never be the same guy he was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
No kidding. By the same logic, no one should ever take Ovechkin. Remember that video of him from years back.
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #60
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If the Flames can make a deal for PLD without dipping into the core they should be all over it. I still say you do Hanifin ($4.95) and Bennett ($2.55) for PLD ($5.0). One really good player in Hanifin and then a reclamation project in Bennett that could still turn into something (sell that hope Tre). A little risk for both teams, but one where the Flames take on a higher potential return if PLD gets his #### together. As it is, PLD would come in and be viewed as a support player and not the guy to carry the mail. Might help him get it together.
You have to give to get so this deal makes sense. I do think Bennett could thrive playing for a guy like Torts and in a fresh start. I am concerned the Flamesnwould be selling low on Hanifin who was somewhat wasted having to play with Hamonic for the last 2 years. It is early but he looks good with Tanev and did look good with Anderson

Having said that it allows them to get Valimaki in the top 4 and Mackey/Kylington in the lineup so they do have the depth to make this move. I assume this moves Lindholm to the wing and playing with Tkachuk and PLD and a healthy Dube getting a look with Monahan and Gaudreau. Mangiapane with Backlund and Leivo and Lucic, Ryan, Simon.