Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 01-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #21
flam12345
Draft Pick

Well, PLD should do that, not backlund or bennett.
flam12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #22
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Montreal probably has the inside track, no?
PLD doesn't have a NTC or NMC or anything, so it doesn't really matter where he wants to go.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #23
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In an ideal world, Jarmo would be in love with one of our lesser prospects. He does have a history of going off the board.

Bennett, Ryan, 1st, Phillips, or something. Pipe dream for sure, but a guy can dream.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Hard pass. A selfish player who quits on his team is someone I wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole. How long until he pulls the same stunt on a new team when things don’t go his way?
It really depends. There's been guys who pulled stuff to get traded including not playing at all, and then it worked out: Roy, Gilmour, Carter (from Columbus), Coffey. But you sure wouldn't do it if you thought he would be ambivalent about the Flames.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
PLD doesn't have a NTC or NMC or anything, so it doesn't really matter where he wants to go.
Well he doesn't have one in writing, but if he is going to demand a trade off his new team as well, then those teams are very unlikely to trade for him. They would just be inheriting the BJs problem.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #26
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Knut put this in the other thread.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1352453206689898497

Looked like a preseason shift. Not a good look for PLD.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
No, but you're willing to pay more if you think he will be happy on your team, given the reasons for trading him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #28
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was all-in on PLD up until last night. There's no way you can consistently win with a guy like that. I don't think even Kovalev or Yashin ever pulled something like that.

Anyone the Flames trade for PLD will be a core and well-liked piece. Imagine what everyone in the dressing room will think of him the minute he walks in the door.

I suppose if he can be had on the cheap it's fine, but some GM is going to overpay for that hot mess.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #29
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Lol. Lots of massive conclusions being drawn from a quick vid of one shift.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #30
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I was all-in on PLD up until last night. There's no way you can consistently win with a guy like that. I don't think even Kovalev or Yashin ever pulled something like that.

Anyone the Flames trade for PLD will be a core and well-liked piece. Imagine what everyone in the dressing room will think of him the minute he walks in the door.

I suppose if he can be had on the cheap it's fine, but some GM is going to overpay for that hot mess.
Yes, he did. I remember it clearly and IIRC it was in an overtime game one time.

That being said, although there is no excuse for that effort, we dont know what the issues are. Other players wont care about it IF he was to come in and not be carrying baggage and he would very likely address it with his new tream mates.

He is a very young guy still....young guys make mistakes. For CBJ its just too bad this became public on top of that demonstration of aloofness last night.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #31
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a hard time believing we know all of the details of this situation. It's still a bit of a mystery why he wants out. I don't think Torts should be getting the benefit of the doubt here.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #32
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I have a hard time believing we know all of the details of this situation. It's still a bit of a mystery why he wants out. I don't think Torts should be getting the benefit of the doubt here.
He most definitely should not. Tortorella is Babcockian in his reputation around the league.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:02 PM   #33
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Meh still want Tre to make a deal happen! Young two-way player lots to develop and learn.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #34
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yes, he did. I remember it clearly and IIRC it was in an overtime game one time.

That being said, although there is no excuse for that effort, we dont know what the issues are. Other players wont care about it IF he was to come in and not be carrying baggage and he would very likely address it with his new tream mates.

He is a very young guy still....young guys make mistakes. For CBJ its just too bad this became public on top of that demonstration of aloofness last night.

Kovalev didn’t quit on his team in that game, he took a slash to the hand and milked it to draw a call that never came.

While he was in the middle of his performance, he accidentally prevented Sheldon Souray from assisting on the play. Glen Murray, former 40 goal man, picked up the loose trash, walked down Main Street and ended the game.

While that was an appalling way to lose a playoff game, it was a gambit that didn’t work - Kovalev did what he did to try and get a power play and win.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #35
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Kovalev didn’t quit on his team in that game, he took a slash to the hand and milked it to draw a call that never came.

While he was in the middle of his performance, he accidentally prevented Sheldon Souray from assisting on the play. Glenn Murray, former 40 goal man, picked up the loose trash, walked down Main Street and ended the game.

While that was an appalling way to lose a playoff game, it was a gambit that didn’t work - Kovalev did what he did to try and get a power play and win.
that was a very Canuck type move, good to see t failed
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #36
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

While he was in the middle of his performance, he accidentally prevented Sheldon Souray from assisting on the play. Glen Murray, former 40 goal man, picked up the loose trash, walked down Main Street and ended the game.

Yeah i remember it now but to the b0lded...

Thats why he was such a loser. Play the effin game and ditch the histrionics.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #37
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Id still try and acquire PLD. I view his slotting differently though.

You have:
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube
Bennett-Backlund-Leivo
Lucic-Ryan-Simon/rotating fw

I think if you're looking to extend this window the answer is pretty clear. Put him in Backlunds slot. Offer a package with Backlund as the center piece. Add some close to NHL talent, a pick. Backlund is literally a plug and play anywhere in your lineup and makes it work for CLB in the short term (2-3 years). The rest of the package compensates for the after Backlund years.

PLD gets sheltered time with Bennett and Leivo making the Flames top 9 fws a pretty young and formidable force beyond this season.

Thats how I think I'd go about trying to acquire PLD.

The only set back in my mind is ripping a big time locker room piece out of the room for a player who seems to switch off if he isn't happy. Thats where the risk/benefit comes in.

Last edited by dammage79; 01-22-2021 at 12:13 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:10 PM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The video clip isn't a good look but not going to get overly fixated on one bad game. My concern is that there would be a lot of hope involved in acquiring this guy that he's got another level in him as we know his floor is lower than Monahan's as he has not produced at the same rate at Monahan at the same age and really I'm not sure his ceiling is any higher. Monahan may not be a complete center but he's proven to be a high level finisher in the NHL. I haven't seen that PLD is high level at anything to date or any indication that he's an elite player. Seems to me a move that may change the mix of the team but not necessarily improve the team. One thing about Monahan is that we know he's a good guy and teammate that likes being a Flame. Not sure about the character of PLD or if he will be happy in Calgary. Pretty risky trade given the Flames would likely have to give Monahan as well as additional assets. I'm sure another team will be more willing to overpay for this guy and think that chances are pretty low he becomes a Flame and I'm totally fine with that.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:10 PM   #39
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post

What? He's 22, and we don't know the exact situation he's in. Yes, of course he should have showed more effort. But he's probably pissed off and he's a young kid. The next team he's on, he probably lights it up and this becomes forgotten in a few years. To completely write him off for this is absolutely ridiculous. At the end of the day, he has the potential to be a true #1 down the middle. Period.
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Canuck View Post
Kotkaniemi for Pierre Luc Dubois straight up --- Finland connection in Columbus, and Quebecois connection in Montreal.
That doesn't work. Montreal would be bringing in +$4.5 m in cap, but have only about $700k of room. Someone else would gave to be going back to CBJ.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote