Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #21
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Andersson has added a wrinkle on the bump back this year as well ... he's really good at reading that tepid pressure in the neutral zone and deciding if they're selling the bump back assumption and then he keeps it.

Really effective.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 11:33 AM   #22
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

For all of the talk about the drop back before entering, I think we mainly agree there is too much focus on it . I had to drive somewhere yesterday, and the guys on the radio were taking about the PP and what they think is working. Of course they talked about the drop disproportionately.

It is a good tool to have in the zone entry kit, but needs to be used intelligently. I will say, when the other team forechecks, I have seen Andersson making a decision based on what they do. If they let him skate by, anticipating the drop, sometimes he just continues skating. That’s a 4 on 3 entry rather than dropping for a 5 on 4 attempt

The goals the Flames have scored have been due to quick puck movement and good decision making. Long after control is established and they are set up, whether they bumped back before skating in is far in the rear view mirror.

Lindholm’s fake shot / diagonal pass to Johnny surprised everyone. Just a smart player and good situational awareness

Tkachuk moving from screen a few feet to the side, Lindholm hitting him, and Tkachuk putting it on Monahan’s stick for the quick release snipe? That is a good read and reaction by Lindholm and precise execution

Obviously you need to gain the zone, but the drop pass isn’t the main factor as to why the PP works. Like GioforPM says, it’s the puck movement and execution

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 01-22-2021 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect overrode my perfect typing and inserted we’re instead of were
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #23
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Andersson has added a wrinkle on the bump back this year as well ... he's really good at reading that tepid pressure in the neutral zone and deciding if they're selling the bump back assumption and then he keeps it.

Really effective.

Yup. I was probably typing about the same thing at the same time
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #24
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Thank You Rasmus.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #25
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

The same article mentions that Edwards moves guys around on the power play as well, so you don't always have the same players in the same spots.

It makes it way harder to defend the powerplay if suddenly the guy you think will be in that space is now replaced by someone else. Lots of trickery right now and it's paying dividends.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #26
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
The same article mentions that Edwards moves guys around on the power play as well, so you don't always have the same players in the same spots.

It makes it way harder to defend the powerplay if suddenly the guy you think will be in that space is now replaced by someone else. Lots of trickery right now and it's paying dividends.
Lindholm and Gaudreau have switched sides quite a bit in this regard which is a nice wrinkle.

Gaudreau's entries have been highly successful this year so far. No complaints here on the bump back play. Its worked at least for Jets and Canucks PK.

With Ras added our first powerplay has a combined hockey IQ off the charts. No disrespect to our Captain who is no slouch in that regard either.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #27
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

To me, there is nothing wrong with the bump back play itself. Many other teams employ it too.

My biggest beef with it is when the Flames use every single rush on the first PP unit with Johnny carrying the puck. Then it becomes way too predicatable for the opponents because they know exactly there to focus their defenders.

That being said, so far this season, I've seen a lot more variation in the zone entries. I think in pre-Ward era, the bump back was used 100% of the time... now I think it's closer to 60-70% of entries by the first unit.

When the bump back fails, visually its failure is more apparent compared to other flaws in a powerplay like not screening the net, being unable to recover the puck, not putting players on their off-wing for faster one-timers, etc. (Not that the Flames PP has any of these issues right now, it's looking good)
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:06 PM   #28
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon54

Quote:

Really effective.
Yup. And its not a formulaic bump back either like Gio was. They don't know if he is bumping back or skating into the zone at speed. He doesn't telegraph the bump back. I've also noticed Andersson options off passing it forward the blue line too.

The bump back works better when ppl don't know if its coming.

I love that Andersson says eff it and hauls it in himself at times or looks for options. Its a big upgrade.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #29
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Formulaic is a great word to describe the Flames PP before Edwards.

Now we’re seeing variety and wrinkles. Player with the puck moving. Players without the puck moving. Even slight movements change angles and force defence to make adjustments which can lead to confusion and opportunities.

The Lindholm pass to Gaudreau for a goal against the Jets on the first PP of the season was a great sign that the PP was using ingenuity over formula, and why it should be more successful this year.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:13 PM   #30
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Really effective.
Yeah I think that’s right, that’s been the biggest difference probably. But I have noticed a significantly improved effort level, they’re out hustling the PK in the 3 games so far and that’s a huge factor too. And the passes have been on the tape.

Just really good. I get excited when the Pp comes and I haven’t felt that way in, oh... man... 20 years? Man. That is a depressing thing to write.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:54 PM   #31
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good goaltending and a PP that works makes this team way funner to watch.

Also happy to see Rasmus running it as well. He looks good so far and you can see him learning every time he is out on it.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #32
simonarea
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One of the reason is ....
Because Gio got bumped off the first PP unit
I was happy with Gustafson on the first PP
Now we have Anderson
simonarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #33
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bump back pass is effective when you have at least TWO other targets in motion.

Bump back pass is ineffective when the other FOUR players are standing still at the offensive blue line.

I like though that they mix it up much more so far.

I still believe they should use a play the late 80's Flames had that was brilliant. Mullen was a master at it.

While MacInnis or Suter would start the rush, Mullen was at least 20 feet inside the offensive zone (yup offside) and then would storm back out cutting where there was a hole and accepting a pass from 2 or 20.

It is already quite hard defending what you can see in front of you so imagine always having your head on a swivel checking out where the off side player is!

Anyways those were the good ol days!
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #34
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am loving how they switch the players in the formation, rotating through Gaudreau, Lindholm and Tkachuk at the high forward spot.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #35
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like most things, Flames will have to continue adapt on the powerplay and the bumpback formation and execution, etc because after enough game tape, teams will figure out a way to disrupt what the Flames are doing now. That should open another angle and opportunity, but it has to be recognized to be taken advantage of.

But overall, a positive testament to the Flames coaching staff being well prepared and getting the players to buy in to start the season, is a good sign.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #36
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I am loving how they switch the players in the formation, rotating through Gaudreau, Lindholm and Tkachuk at the high forward spot.
Me too. I’ve posted this 3-4 times in varying threads this year. Keeps the other team from sitting on one option.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote