Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #41
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a seasonal wind diagram that Nav Canada did up for YYC, you can see the direction of the wind and the frequency with which it usually occurs in the summer/winter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal
How often are the Chinook winds higher than 20 knots? Would this be a big problem, say if a big Chinook corresponded to a very busy period like Christmastime?
It will definitely affect them, as our ATC'er pointed out it will reduce capacity anywhere from 30-50 percent. So procedures like flow control and ground holds at the departure airfield for flights to YYC (things that are already happening here currently) will be in place in that situation.

Last edited by Bigtime; 04-08-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #42
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Here is our YYC ATC'er talking about that point:

"When the parallel is completed, pilots will increasingly need to be 'players' and take the long ones despite Chinook winds, strictly for capacity reasons. There's so much pavement there to 'grease' a landing with a 20+ knots crosswind that it'll have to become the modus operandi of the airport and its tenants, unless we're talking about extreme conditions, which I'm not. Capacity will take 30-50% hit when we're forced to go to E-W ops. "
I guess you guys will just have to suck it up and use 25 then.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #43
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was once a big supporter of the Calgary Airport and its projects. Now with the ######y way they have acted about the Tunnel (admittedly the City was run by bafoons with no foresight before) (I dont think the tunnel will get built 10% chance) I would care less about Calgary and its airport.

Instead of only doing non stops I now have no problem paying less and transferring through Vancouver, Toronto, Houston, Denver, Chicago, Minniapolis etc.

Last edited by mykalberta; 04-08-2011 at 09:15 AM.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #44
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fairly certain the airport tunnel will get built. 90% sure. They're just doing political jostling and try to force the city to cover all related expenses as much as possible.

It's our fault (moreso council) for making something that was planned for 3 decades get done at the last minute.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #45
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

That tunnel will be built. Just imagine the traffic gridlock we're going to see on Deerfoot the next time we have an unexpected snowstorm. I'm bracing for the worst drive in awhile for that one, now that people have no alternative routes to go on. Hopefully the city then gets a massive flood of complaints, and the short sighted aldermen who were against the tunnel eat their own words. (I'm looking at you Gord Lowe)
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #46
freedogger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Won't Deerfoot congestion decrease significantly once the rest of the Southeast ring road is completed?
freedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #47
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by giver99 View Post
Won't Deerfoot congestion decrease significantly once the rest of the Southeast ring road is completed?
overall, yes, but it won't really help the traffic patterns on Deerfoot that have been backed up this week due to the Barlow closure.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #48
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listening to the radio, it sounded like Deerfoot SB was pretty snarled until McKnight for most of the week.

I cross 68th & McKnight in the morning and noticed McKnight WB getting a lot more traffic as the week went on, so some people are taking Stoney to McKnight to avoid the Deerfoot.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #49
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SCUD View Post
Korea's airports suck, especially Seoul's.

Your kidding right?

Incheon has been called the best or 2nd best Airport in the world. Having walked around it myself, its 100 times better than any other airport i have been in.

What makes you say it sucks?

Frig, you can borrow laptops for free and walk around the near the gates and get free wireless... thats pretty awesome in my opinion.
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #50
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Instead of only doing non stops I now have no problem paying less and transferring through Vancouver, Toronto, Houston, Denver, Chicago, Minniapolis etc.
Are you sure that's doing anything to the airport authority? The only people not benefiting from you is the airlines; you still pay your (obscene) $25 to YYC every time you fly out of here. If you really want them to be screwed, drive to Lethbridge or Medicine Hat and fly from there. It's even better that you would connect through Calgary - you don't give them a cent for the AIF.

However, by flying out of YYC in any way, you are also partly paying them the landing fees that the airline gives them...
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #51
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
You flyboys crack me up.
I keep telling you I'm not a pilot!

And I keep telling you, you flyboys crack me up!
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #52
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
Are you sure that's doing anything to the airport authority? The only people not benefiting from you is the airlines; you still pay your (obscene) $25 to YYC every time you fly out of here. If you really want them to be screwed, drive to Lethbridge or Medicine Hat and fly from there. It's even better that you would connect through Calgary - you don't give them a cent for the AIF.

However, by flying out of YYC in any way, you are also partly paying them the landing fees that the airline gives them...
Lethbridge has flights to:

-Calgary
-Edmonton (2 flights a day with Integra Air)

Medicine Hat has flights to:

-Calgary

Really doesn't give you many options to avoid connecting through Calgary. Hey this is CP, would you really connect through YEG?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #53
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Listening to the radio, it sounded like Deerfoot SB was pretty snarled until McKnight for most of the week.

I cross 68th & McKnight in the morning and noticed McKnight WB getting a lot more traffic as the week went on, so some people are taking Stoney to McKnight to avoid the Deerfoot.
It's not just Mcknight, it's also the 32nd Ave turn off, as now you have a lot of people who work in the Norheast using Deerfoot to get to work rather than Barlow.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #54
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoulFire View Post
This is good news. The airport in its' current state is an embarrassment.
I used to feel that way, until I took a stroll through one of the older terminals at DFW, or my flight (on this same trip) was number 43 for departure at JFK. Compared to any other major airport, YYC is extremely lucky to be getting airside facilities before it truly becomes an embarrassment.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #55
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I used to feel that way, until I took a stroll through one of the older terminals at DFW, or my flight (on this same trip) was number 43 for departure at JFK. Compared to any other major airport, YYC is extremely lucky to be getting airside facilities before it truly becomes an embarrassment.
I'd also say that YYC is better than like 90% of LAX, that place is a DUMP (I avoid flying through there at all costs).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #56
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any truth to the rumour that once the new runway is open, the current 16/34 will be closed for a resurfacing?
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #57
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Any truth to the rumour that once the new runway is open, the current 16/34 will be closed for a resurfacing?
Yup, heard that from our ATC member on SSP. So we get a new runway to relieve the congestion problems but then they have to put up with losing the other one for the resurfacing.

If I recall correctly they resurfaced part of 16/34 a few years back, on the touchdown zone for 34.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #58
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Another project at the airport, not quite as big - The airport will be building taxiway Y this year. It is a second parallel taxiway on the east side of existing runway 16/34.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #59
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'd also say that YYC is better than like 90% of LAX, that place is a DUMP (I avoid flying through there at all costs).
Yup. At LAX you have the homeless running around "spare change??". I define an airport by how comfortable it is to overnight in, and LAX is the worst I've been to. YYC actually has some decent plush chairs and couches that are available throughout that you can curl up in if you have a long wait.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #60
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dunno why all the hate for YYC. Honestly, it has a better food selection then many airports, if you have to spend a night there are way more places to find a bench or comfy leather chair outside of security to lounge on. There is no Homeless (ie. Chicago, LA), there are Tim Hortons and Star Bucks outside security (ie YYZ).

Honestly YYC may be a little older, but it has lots of food, lots of benches, lots of bathrooms, its clean, very clean, two MACs stores, and so many other shops that are not past security. Other airport I spend an overnight connection in normally suck outside security.

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc