Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #61
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Any recommendations for a budget dishwasher? LIke ~ $500ish?

Only need budget as we are about to put our place up for sale and our Kenmore dishwasher blew one of the springs that prevents the door opening too fast. I could try to fix it but really couldn't be bothered and a newer dishwasher may aid in selling.

Now that I've posted I guess it really doesn't matter as we are hoping to get out of this place but feel bad leaving new owners with a POS. But surely there are decent dish washers around that price point?
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/cat/dishwashers-20825/
They're all Whirlpool is what I've been told around the interwebz.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #62
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trail Appliances has all kinds of promos and sales on now. I would go there and check what is available. Their site shows dishwashers for $500.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 03:00 PM   #63
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to you both!

Naturally remembered Trail after posting and ya, they have some good promotions. Seems like the way to go.

The Bosch line sure looks nice but will do that when we are in a more permanent home.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #64
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I didn't know this until I went there, but BoWest Appliances carries good dishwashers that are dented and thus discounted. I saw a fairly cheap Bosh there last summer but the front was pretty bad dent. That said given your price point and need it may not matter.

Give them a call before you go though their website seems to not be working.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #65
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check Bowest appliances as well, they always have great deals if you aren't being to picky.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 06:41 PM   #66
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Any recommendations for a budget dishwasher? LIke ~ $500ish?

Only need budget as we are about to put our place up for sale and our Kenmore dishwasher blew one of the springs that prevents the door opening too fast. I could try to fix it but really couldn't be bothered and a newer dishwasher may aid in selling.

Now that I've posted I guess it really doesn't matter as we are hoping to get out of this place but feel bad leaving new owners with a POS. But surely there are decent dish washers around that price point?
If it doesn't impact you I would recommend just leaving the current dishwasher in place and disclosing the issue. As a homebuyer I would personally rather buy a dishwasher with the features that I want vs having a new budget dishwasher installed by the previous owner.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #67
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\

An excellent point, thank you.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:44 PM   #68
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Our dishwasher has been cleaning really poorly lately, and we are thinking of getting a new one. However, before we go new I want to make sure it's the actual dishwasher and not other things. Here are two issues I think we have that wouldn't change with a new dishwasher:

1 - The location of the dishwasher is just far away from the sink that we need two drain hose hoses to reach the sink pipes. I've always thought this probably greatly reduces performance as all the dirty water doesn't get fully pumped out, but I have no real evidence of this

2 - The location of the dishwasher is over an overhang extension on the house, so the floor is quite a bit colder under it than the rest of the kitchen. We even had the drain hose freeze last winter during a cold snap. Is there potential that the cold floor is preventing the water from getting hot enough in the dishwasher itself?

Curious what people think - is this a dishwasher problem or a location problem?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #69
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My parents moved and the house had a older miele. It was such a beast dishes always cleaned perfectly no problems it was older when they bought and that was 5-6 years ago still works great.

So when we got a dishwasher I got a miele during there promotion that gave a 10 year warranty. We love it and use it a lot cleans great when it’s finished the dishes are not perfectly dry but if you just leave it awhile they air dry no problem. It is extremely rare to find a dish not perfectly cleaned. When it does happen could be due to how we out the dishes in.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #70
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Our dishwasher has been cleaning really poorly lately, and we are thinking of getting a new one. However, before we go new I want to make sure it's the actual dishwasher and not other things. Here are two issues I think we have that wouldn't change with a new dishwasher:

1 - The location of the dishwasher is just far away from the sink that we need two drain hose hoses to reach the sink pipes. I've always thought this probably greatly reduces performance as all the dirty water doesn't get fully pumped out, but I have no real evidence of this

2 - The location of the dishwasher is over an overhang extension on the house, so the floor is quite a bit colder under it than the rest of the kitchen. We even had the drain hose freeze last winter during a cold snap. Is there potential that the cold floor is preventing the water from getting hot enough in the dishwasher itself?

Curious what people think - is this a dishwasher problem or a location problem?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
You get this figured out?
1. Excess drain length causes backpressure, water stagnation. Is it a problem? probably not so much except every couple of years clean the drain hose or replace. Also a solid HOT almost-empty load with vinegar will clean out the dishwasher and drain system.

2. Go to Home Depot and get some pipe insulation and wrap that line.. and throw down something to insulate under that area of the dishwasher. Easy enough. Depending on your dishwasher you likely have a built-in heater anyways.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:35 PM   #71
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy15 View Post
My parents moved and the house had a older miele. It was such a beast dishes always cleaned perfectly no problems it was older when they bought and that was 5-6 years ago still works great.

So when we got a dishwasher I got a miele during there promotion that gave a 10 year warranty. We love it and use it a lot cleans great when it’s finished the dishes are not perfectly dry but if you just leave it awhile they air dry no problem. It is extremely rare to find a dish not perfectly cleaned. When it does happen could be due to how we out the dishes in.
Mine is newer and has a chime. When it goes off at end of cycle, just pop the door open a crack. Drys very well. Oh and use jet dry.

The high ends have an auto pop feature. We passed, but it would be handy to have.

Very impressed with my Miele and I had a Jenn Aire before that was expensive but garbage. Jenn Aire can make awesome ranges and fridges but dishwasher stay away
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:40 PM   #72
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just finished installing our new Bosch 500 series, everything seems to be working well except I can hear a slight rattling sound while it's washing, which I'm assuming is the water jet sprayer spinning under the middle rack. Is that normal, or did I mess something up with the install?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #73
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Check and make sure your electrical connection cover is on tight and that the dishwasher is mounted properly
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #74
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
^^Check and make sure your electrical connection cover is on tight and that the dishwasher is mounted properly
Electrical is fine and the unit is solidly in place, it's not rocking or moving. It sounds like something inside the unit is loose, guess I'll book a service call for a Bosch tech to take a look at it
Old 03-07-2021, 09:36 PM   #75
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Mine is newer and has a chime. When it goes off at end of cycle, just pop the door open a crack. Drys very well. Oh and use jet dry.

The high ends have an auto pop feature. We passed, but it would be handy to have.

Very impressed with my Miele and I had a Jenn Aire before that was expensive but garbage. Jenn Aire can make awesome ranges and fridges but dishwasher stay away
Depends how patient you are. If the dishwasher finishes and you want to unload it’s wet for sure. We have the auto pop open feature and if you let it sit for awhile it drys well.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:12 AM   #76
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
You get this figured out?
1. Excess drain length causes backpressure, water stagnation. Is it a problem? probably not so much except every couple of years clean the drain hose or replace. Also a solid HOT almost-empty load with vinegar will clean out the dishwasher and drain system.

2. Go to Home Depot and get some pipe insulation and wrap that line.. and throw down something to insulate under that area of the dishwasher. Easy enough. Depending on your dishwasher you likely have a built-in heater anyways.
Thanks for the responses. We figured both of these problems should not be causing the dishwasher to be cleaning so poorly, so we think the main issue is the dishwasher itself. Once we replace it, we'll see if these problems still seem to linger and then try more permanent fixes if required.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #77
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Just finished installing our new Bosch 500 series, everything seems to be working well except I can hear a slight rattling sound while it's washing, which I'm assuming is the water jet sprayer spinning under the middle rack. Is that normal, or did I mess something up with the install?
Does it make the noise on every wash cycle? If you run it empty does it still make noise? My Bosch, that I just installed about a month ago, makes a similar noise at times but I convinced it is a loading issue. If my kid's load light Tupperware lids or other light items on the uppermost rack I think the jets cause those items to rattle off the top of the tub.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:38 AM   #78
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Does it make the noise on every wash cycle? If you run it empty does it still make noise? My Bosch, that I just installed about a month ago, makes a similar noise at times but I convinced it is a loading issue. If my kid's load light Tupperware lids or other light items on the uppermost rack I think the jets cause those items to rattle off the top of the tub.
I ran it empty and it didn't make any noise. I tried it with a very small load and made sure that nothing was loose and still heard a noticeable knocking/grinding sound
Old 03-08-2021, 11:16 PM   #79
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
You most definitely do not have to use Miele brand dish detergent. I certainly do not and no issues have risen.

lol do people actually fall for that and buy their over priced detergent?
Old 03-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #80
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One important thing about dishwashers is where the drain hose is attached under the sink, be sure to hang the hose higher than that connection point. That way, waste water wont drain back into the dishwasher or stay in the line if theres a clog etc.

I installed a garburator last year and didn't think much about the dishwasher drain hose other than connecting it. As months went by it started getting smelly whenever the dishwasher started to drain. Long story short, I zip tied the drain hose to be higher now and the problem went away almost instantly.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote