Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2021, 11:48 AM   #1661
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
Anybody else have issues with RBC Direct investing this morning? The servers were so slow...couldn't log in for almost an hour.
Yes I was having a lot of issues with them this morning as well.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #1662
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just have an account technical question and I been on the phone 2.5 hrs with RBC. What a joke.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #1663
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's this weird "cult of personality" thing happening with random stocks now. GME, PLTR, SNDL, etc... I have no idea where it's going to go long term. The democratization of the market should be a good thing, but I have residual fear that a singular event will be capable of swaying a good chunk of retail market sentiment, and that this "mob" could be led purposely ruin something or otherwise flail madly out of control. All these bubbles popping up everywhere at once.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:54 PM   #1664
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
There's this weird "cult of personality" thing happening with random stocks now. GME, PLTR, SNDL, etc... I have no idea where it's going to go long term. The democratization of the market should be a good thing, but I have residual fear that a singular event will be capable of swaying a good chunk of retail market sentiment, and that this "mob" could be led purposely ruin something or otherwise flail madly out of control. All these bubbles popping up everywhere at once.
Bubbles keep popping up because greed is running the show right now, fueled with stimulus money. People see stocks jumping, and their friends making money, and they want in. More money pours in. More bubbles pop up... more greed... more money...

It is exactly like 1999.

And it will continue until it doesn't.

Everyone thinks they are brilliant while the market is going up. It takes a crash to remind people that they are in fact not brilliant, they were just riding a wave.

In the meantime, enjoy!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #1665
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^^

Yep, I've been thinking about moving to a much higher percentage of cash at some point as I feel we'll see a correction at some point this year (although, the economist has had some analysis lately that shows we could also just keep pushing through the year).

But man, that's the hard part of the game. Pull out and miss possibly months of gains (time in the market vs timing the market) or wait one day too long, lose a bunch and not have tons of free cash to buy up.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #1666
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
^^^^^^^

Yep, I've been thinking about moving to a much higher percentage of cash at some point as I feel we'll see a correction at some point this year (although, the economist has had some analysis lately that shows we could also just keep pushing through the year).

But man, that's the hard part of the game. Pull out and miss possibly months of gains (time in the market vs timing the market) or wait one day too long, lose a bunch and not have tons of free cash to buy up.
swing scalp, and look for 10% pops. it's what i've been doing for the past 2 weeks as there has been market weakness.

and put things in cult plays, that will eat up market weakness. i.e. I was sitting on 50% cash today, until that dip, and threw it all at PLTR and SPCE. i'm up 20% on the day. View market weakness as gifts. But also play smart, and don't get into anything long if you're not certain of the market, and don't have proper risk management.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #1667
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^^^^^^^

Getting out has its own challenges because you will feel remorse while it continues to rise.

It is more manageable to do things is stages. If you have a target mix of 70/30 and you think things are getting a bit crazy, reduce your exposure a bit and move to 65/35. If it keeps getting crazier, move to 60/40, then 50/50, etc

Eventually there will be a correction. And at that time, you can rebuild your equity exposure.

But trying to time it, and be a hero, is not only difficult, it is often counter-productive. It is always best to set targets and then STICK TO THOSE TARGETS WHEN THEY ARE HIT. That is how you eliminate the emotions from investing.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #1668
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Getting out has its own challenges because you will feel remorse while it continues to rise.

It is more manageable to do things is stages. If you have a target mix of 70/30 and you think things are getting a bit crazy, reduce your exposure a bit and move to 65/35. If it keeps getting crazier, move to 60/40, then 50/50, etc

Eventually there will be a correction. And at that time, you can rebuild your equity exposure.

But trying to time it, and be a hero, is not only difficult, it is often counter-productive. It is always best to set targets and then STICK TO THOSE TARGETS WHEN THEY ARE HIT. That is how you eliminate the emotions from investing.
Scaling is also a big thing. and play what the market gives you.

I scale 50% on my first PT always. then 25% on the next, and hold the last 25% for the bigger move. if you try to hold it all til the top, you will get burnt more times than you'd like.

i do the same when entering a position too. if high conviction, 50% then 25% then 25%. If it's just to get exposure, 25%, 25% then 50%.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 02:34 PM   #1669
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just throw 100% of my kids RESP in all at once.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 03:20 PM   #1670
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sold 35% of my BB. I like the company long term but think the recent spike in size is mainly up to speculation. Still hold my original investment that I will hold long-term.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #1671
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Sold 35% of my BB. I like the company long term but think the recent spike in size is mainly up to speculation. Still hold my original investment that I will hold long-term.

What price did you get out at? Was happy to see it at least recovered to $23 after the drop from $26 to $21.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #1672
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Scaling is also a big thing. and play what the market gives you.

I scale 50% on my first PT always. then 25% on the next, and hold the last 25% for the bigger move. if you try to hold it all til the top, you will get burnt more times than you'd like.

i do the same when entering a position too. if high conviction, 50% then 25% then 25%. If it's just to get exposure, 25%, 25% then 50%.
Definitely agree with this methodology. I usually try to sell 1/3 to 1/2 at a percentage target that I will set before I make the trade and then hold the rest to see where it goes. I find this works because I satisfy my need for a quick profit while still having a chance to realize some bigger gains.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #1673
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What price did you get out at? Was happy to see it at least recovered to $23 after the drop from $26 to $21.
Got in at $14.30 a few weeks ago. Very happy with my returns over that period.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #1674
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone explain what's been happening with some of these random companies spiking? I just don't understand (in layman's terms)?
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #1675
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand either, all I can think about is tulips.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #1676
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

From what I understand, and I really don’t understand (but am going to throw money at it anyway):
- people want to stick it to Wall Street
- people want to get rich
- people buy cheap stocks en masse
- this causes short sellers to have to re-up to avoid losing out
- this balloons the stock price
- everyone then basically tries to get out at or near the peak, bringing it tumbling back down

Same thing happened with VW, I think, that is happening with BlackBerry and GameStop. There’s no real logical reason for the stocks to be going up, it’s simply a matter of people buying lots and forcing it to go up.

Again, this gained from a pretty low level understanding, but it’s the best I got.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 07:18 PM   #1677
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I answered my own question through this video, but the above is summarily correct.

bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 07:33 PM   #1678
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
From what I understand, and I really don’t understand (but am going to throw money at it anyway):
- people want to stick it to Wall Street
- people want to get rich
- people buy cheap stocks en masse
- this causes short sellers to have to re-up to avoid losing out
- this balloons the stock price
- everyone then basically tries to get out at or near the peak, bringing it tumbling back down

Same thing happened with VW, I think, that is happening with BlackBerry and GameStop. There’s no real logical reason for the stocks to be going up, it’s simply a matter of people buying lots and forcing it to go up.

Again, this gained from a pretty low level understanding, but it’s the best I got.

Gamestop seems to be the one they hope is on the VW wave. Only they think wsb collectively will be the Porsche holding shares and options, controlling the squeeze. When you have some guys holding onto thousands of shares, and some guys holding onto 1 or 2 shares, it's probably not quite as clean a play as when Porsche controlled the show.

Blackberry seems based more on using their developing software to hop onto Amazon, Tesla, and Apple's coattails to be the next big tech stock, but not wanting it to take several years to slowly build and built. Just get to Tesla numbers now!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:08 PM   #1679
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As someone who is not an investor but has bought into the r/wallstreetbets hype I found if you watch the video Fleury posted from 15:30 - 20 min he does a good job of explaining the GameStop situation in my opinion.

I think the key is that GME was heavily shorted in late 2020 and some people questioned why when the company's financials and situation with new leadership were improving. They invested then convinced others to invest which pushed the stock up and then forced shorts to cover creating a feedback loop. Now people are seeing early investors posting 1000+% gains (there is a guy with a 13 million USD position who started with only 50k in!!) and more are investing. At this point it's obviously overvalued and not surprisingly still heavily shorted so something has to give In the meantime a few big players have gotten themselves burnt!

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/did...ilout-20210125

As someone who normally doesn't follow stocks it's been very entertaining the last few weeks.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:33 AM   #1680
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got nervous and got out of SCR at 2.94. Might get back in if it keeps dropping.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote