Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #1001
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
While that’s absolutely true for items that require council approval, there’s a huge number of procedural and administrative measures that don’t require council approval that can be hugely swayed by the mayor. And that applies outside the City too, as the mayor often acts as our representative to other levels of government.
A mayor is not permitted to interfere in operations. Not saying they don’t try, but a strong CAO should tell him/her that any direction must come from council and council should not interfere in operations either.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:56 AM   #1002
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

New candidate for Councillor in Ward 8:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1356248439898697729

https://www.courtneywalcott.com/

https://livewirecalgary.com/2021/02/...-8-councillor/

Last edited by Bigtime; 02-01-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 09:19 AM   #1003
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Farkas gonna Farkas. Tweets yesterday that he wants the speed limit change to go to plebiscite. In his constituent email two days earlier

Quote:
Based on the feedback I have received over the past year, my position remains firm that we should deal with residential road safety on a case-by-case basis, and not by applying a blanket solution that does not take into account the unique needs of each community.
Dude is such a weasel, just flip flops with the wind. He knows his mayoralty hopes will take a hit either way he votes. So he just punts to plebiscite
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 09:53 AM   #1004
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

It's good to know that Farkas will always say whatever makes his donors voters in Eagle Ridge happy.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #1005
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the reduced speed limit vote passed 10-4. They should have gone all the way and banned cars though. That would take care of those pesky accidents entirely!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 04:11 PM   #1006
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So the reduced speed limit vote passed 10-4. They should have gone all the way and banned cars though. That would take care of those pesky accidents entirely!
Is it really that big of a deal?

This only applies to residential roads without speed limit signs and I never hit close to 50 on them anyways.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #1007
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1356350184817524736
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #1008
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Is it really that big of a deal?

This only applies to residential roads without speed limit signs and I never hit close to 50 on them anyways.
It’s just a waste of time. This city has huge challenges right now and rather than talking about any of those or trying to do something meaningful we’re reducing the speed limit (on roads where is hardly matters nonetheless), and debating fluoride for the 4th-5th time.

Meanwhile, we have issues surrounding tax distribution, and a fairly crippling hollowing out of the downtown core. But rather than try to work on these issues, we’re focused on this?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #1009
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I wish the law was changed so I can legally light up vehicles doing 50 down my street with a paintball gun. 50 is bloody fast on a narrow street with a bunch of kids trying to do things like learn to ride a bike.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #1010
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

*sigh* Of course these morons passed it, it's to appease idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I wish the law was changed so I can legally light up vehicles doing 50 down my street with a paintball gun. 50 is bloody fast on a narrow street with a bunch of kids trying to do things like learn to ride a bike.
Do you own a LIDAR gun? If not, you're probably not even correct as to how fast they're going.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #1011
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s just a waste of time. This city has huge challenges right now and rather than talking about any of those or trying to do something meaningful we’re reducing the speed limit (on roads where is hardly matters nonetheless), and debating fluoride for the 4th-5th time.

Meanwhile, we have issues surrounding tax distribution, and a fairly crippling hollowing out of the downtown core. But rather than try to work on these issues, we’re focused on this?
Whether you support or oppose the 40kmh residential speed limit, saying "we shouldn't devote any time to issue X because issue Y is more important!" is a fallacious argument. Every member of council is acutely aware of the financial challenges the City of Calgary. I'm sure every one of them will tell you that is their #1 issue and it is currently occupying more of their time than anything else. The appropriate forum to discuss those issues is during sessions of the Priorities and Finance Committee, which wasn't today's meeting. Would you have Council cancel all meetings about the Green Line because you think the economy and downtown office vacancies are more important?
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 05:45 PM   #1012
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ridiculous. I already deal with a bunch of incompetents/bluehairs driving around my neighborhood at 30 or so. This is just gonna make 'em even slower.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #1013
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Public safety matters are never a waste of time. Also, the City is capable of focusing on more than one thing at a time. We spend an enormous amount of time on fiscal issues and the downtown core.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #1014
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Whether you support or oppose the 40kmh residential speed limit, saying "we shouldn't devote any time to issue X because issue Y is more important!" is a fallacious argument. Every member of council is acutely aware of the financial challenges the City of Calgary. I'm sure every one of them will tell you that is their #1 issue and it is currently occupying more of their time than anything else. The appropriate forum to discuss those issues is during sessions of the Priorities and Finance Committee, which wasn't today's meeting. Would you have Council cancel all meetings about the Green Line because you think the economy and downtown office vacancies are more important?
You might think so, but I heard on the radio today that Druh Farrell said this was the number one issue across all wards during the civic election. I mean, I can only beg to differ. There is no way that the majority of Calgarians saw this as the major concern. It’s ridiculous to even suggest that.

And it’s not only a waste of time. It’s solving a problem that (a) doesn’t exist and (b) won’t solve the problem anyway. People aren’t regularly bombing around these roads at 50km/hr. We know the problematic accidents are on more significant roads, and I’m sure this has been posted in this thread. We know that the real culprit is road design in the first place. I don’t work in an industry related at all, but I’ve seen enough people who do here, to realize that this is the most significant issue. And that leads to the other problem; just reducing the speed limit is a nice gesture...but it’s got to be enforced. We know that’s not happening either.

This is an issue that they can trot out at election time and say they’re making things better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #1015
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it’s funny this passed but fluoride failed again.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 06:26 PM   #1016
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What, do something that would ACTUALLY benefit Calgarians? We can't have that!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #1017
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
How are we still not bringing back fluoride by default? They're pushing this to yet another plebiscite on this subject. (The previous two in the past had support)

Just ####ing do it.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #1018
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where are you guys located that the 40 km/hr will have any meaningful impact? Just curious.

In my residential feeder road I pass through two 30 km/hr playground zones and in between the two zones isn't enough distance to actually reach to 50 km/hr slamming on the gas. So between the hours of 7:30-21:00, this will have exactly 0 impact on me 99% of the time. Outside of those hours, meh, I probably rarely go over 40 km/hr on that road anyways.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #1019
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Do you own a LIDAR gun? If not, you're probably not even correct as to how fast they're going.
Yes.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:32 PM   #1020
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Outside of those hours, meh, I probably rarely go over 40 km/hr on that road anyways.
I agree with you, because if I drive 50 on those roads, it doesn't feel like a safe decision.

I see other people who choose to drive residential roads by the letter of the law, and it's a bit terrifying in some cases.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat