Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2024, 10:09 AM   #1961
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I think the fact there's a $5k grant off the purchase price means an extra $5k depreciation (up to $9k in BC and $10k in Quebec).

The luxury ones though for sure don't seem to be holding value, but I suspect it's because the people buying them aren't the brand's normal customers and are the first mover types who want what's newest all the time.
The luxury vehicles don’t hold their value because the people who can’t afford them new definitely can’t afford to have their car turn into a brick with $50K owing.

Oh, and they still don’t own a house to charge them.

And without an in-house charging point, a EV is functionally useless for many consumers.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:45 AM   #1962
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The luxury vehicles don’t hold their value because the people who can’t afford them new definitely can’t afford to have their car turn into a brick with $50K owing.
No that's not the case. Like, at all. None of the luxury EVs are even old enough to have used ones be close to being outside the 8+ year/128000+km battery warranty. This idea that the all these batteries just brick is nonsense. It's a smaller risk than you transmission blowing right after the warranty or anything else.

Quote:

Oh, and they still don’t own a house to charge them.

And without an in-house charging point, a EV is functionally useless for many consumers.
Are we still talking about luxury EVs? because I don't see a lot of Mercedes or Porches parked at apartments in general, nevermind EVs.

As for off street parking, it's definitely a challenge that needs addressing, but there's lots of solutions and even now their not "functionally useless". Having to charge up once every 7-14 days is not that onerous, and that's assuming that no workplace charging or apartment blocks don't or won't get chargers in the future.

Remember that Calagry in 2024 is not representative of most of the world and certainly not representative of even Calgary in 5 years. Norway and China have very high rates of EV ownership for people without off street parking and they are not "functionally useless" there. I know two people with houses that don't have a driveway so they charge their Teslas (both in Red Deer) with public chargers and have for years. It's a slight inconvenience, but it's not that difficult and a very far cry from "functionally useless".
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:48 AM   #1963
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Fisker Ocean prices slashed by up to 39% in the US

"Fisker has announced substantial price reductions across its lineup of Ocean SUVs in the United States, as the automaker struggles to stay afloat."

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/fis...oogle_vignette
Fisker is done. Kaput.

When you're an EV start up and one of the biggest tech/ev reviewers in the world calls it the "Worst Car I'ver Ever Reviewed", you're done:

Old 04-02-2024, 10:53 AM   #1964
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No that's not the case. Like, at all. None of the luxury EVs are even old enough to have used ones be close to being outside the 8+ year/128000+km battery warranty. This idea that the all these batteries just brick is nonsense. It's a smaller risk than you transmission blowing right after the warranty or anything else.

Are we still talking about luxury EVs? because I don't see a lot of Mercedes or Porches parked at apartments in general, nevermind EVs.

As for off street parking, it's definitely a challenge that needs addressing, but there's lots of solutions and even now their not "functionally useless". Having to charge up once every 7-14 days is not that onerous, and that's assuming that no workplace charging or apartment blocks don't or won't get chargers in the future.

Remember that Calagry in 2024 is not representative of most of the world and certainly not representative of even Calgary in 5 years. Norway and China have very high rates of EV ownership for people without off street parking and they are not "functionally useless" there. I know two people with houses that don't have a driveway so they charge their Teslas (both in Red Deer) with public chargers and have for years. It's a slight inconvenience, but it's not that difficult and a very far cry from "functionally useless".
I don't think that is true at all. The link I posted earlier shows it is probably averaging around 1%. The 3 lowest rates are newer vehicles, for Tesla I don't think it is unfair to look at the Model S for longer term failure rates. And comparing a $5k job to a $20k one is also a bit disingenuous, as is having 1 in 100 vehicles fail, outside of maybe Ford.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:02 AM   #1965
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The thing to worry about with an EV battery isn't the slow drop in capacity, it's the sudden death syndrome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
How common is that? Genuinely curious, not trying to be smart.
Quote:
List at the bottom of this article.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elec...n-tesla-2023-3

I'm sure it is getting better, but some of those are risky.
"Sudden battery death syndrome" is a lead acid 12V battery thing and has nothing to do with lithium EV batteries. Not sure what that's about

As for replacement, it extrapolates 225 of an unknown sample of 15000 vehicles, then mentions that it's old Nissan Leaf and Model S batteries.

The older Nissan Leafs uses a different chemistry and had no thermal management. Leaf batteries lost capacity at crazy high rates that aren't even close to what current EVs see. Add to that the Nissan Leaf range was only 75 miles. If you lose 35% after 8 years you're down to 49 miles. That's terrible, but not comparable with any other EV sold in the last 5 years. Teslas lose about 10% of range after 150,000 mileS (240,000km). It's just not reason for concern with current EVs. My Pacifica Hybrid (Plugin Hybrid), still has 100% of the capacity it did in 2019 when I bought it.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:11 AM   #1966
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think that is true at all. The link I posted earlier shows it is probably averaging around 1%. The 3 lowest rates are newer vehicles, for Tesla I don't think it is unfair to look at the Model S for longer term failure rates. And comparing a $5k job to a $20k one is also a bit disingenuous, as is having 1 in 100 vehicles fail, outside of maybe Ford.
See my discussion of your link above, but it doesn't discuss "battery failure" at all. Just battery replacement which is usually done either under warranty due to some other risk, or when the degradation isn't acceptable to the owner. The degradation issue isn't really an issue with modern evs anymore until well past an ICE vehicles usual lifespan. If some people with a 10 year old model S with 300,000 miles want to replace a battery with 70% capacity left, go at it. I wouldn't call that a "failure" or a risk to purchasing an EV vs an ICE
Old 04-02-2024, 11:35 AM   #1967
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll have to assume you just aren't aware of the issues, that doesn't mean they don't happen.

You can have a look through the Tesla model S battery forums if my word isn't enough.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/foru...-charging.109/

There are companies that exist to refurbish and replace dead Tesla battery packs. So I don't really understand how you say it isn't a thing.

Last edited by Fuzz; 04-02-2024 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:29 PM   #1968
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll have to assume you just aren't aware of the issues, that doesn't mean they don't happen.

You can have a look through the Tesla model S battery forums if my word isn't enough.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/foru...-charging.109/

There are companies that exist to refurbish and replace dead Tesla battery packs. So I don't really understand how you say it isn't a thing.
I didn't say batteries don't get replaced, I said "sudden battery death" wasn't a thing. the 12v batteries can suddenly die, but that happens in every type of vehicle. Foe EVs, the 12v battery is what powers all the software and non traction electronics and is recharged by the high voltage battery. Telsa has removed most manual controls and if the 12v battery dies you can't do almost anything. But that's a unique issue to them and has nothing to do with the EV battery.

And yes, batteries get replaced in old EVs if the range has dropped too much or in the case of the leaf where a new battery doubles therange from even what you originally purchased. If you buy a 7 year old Model S from Arizona that the owner charged at the supercharger all the time and charged to 100% all the time, you might need to replace the battery. But you check that fairly easily before buying
Old 04-02-2024, 01:43 PM   #1969
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't say batteries don't get replaced, I said "sudden battery death" wasn't a thing. the 12v batteries can suddenly die, but that happens in every type of vehicle. Foe EVs, the 12v battery is what powers all the software and non traction electronics and is recharged by the high voltage battery. Telsa has removed most manual controls and if the 12v battery dies you can't do almost anything. But that's a unique issue to them and has nothing to do with the EV battery.

And yes, batteries get replaced in old EVs if the range has dropped too much or in the case of the leaf where a new battery doubles therange from even what you originally purchased. If you buy a 7 year old Model S from Arizona that the owner charged at the supercharger all the time and charged to 100% all the time, you might need to replace the battery. But you check that fairly easily before buying
I'm not sure where you are stuck on this. EV batteries do suddenly fail for any number of reasons, and you can peruse the forums to see what those are if you don't believe me. And it isn't that every cell in the pack died, but the items failing in the pack are major enough to warrant a replacement.