Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #21
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
All the doom and gloom posters on here will pick the Jets. These posters are not happy unless the team is struggling or losing and they can complain about it.
It's a prediction not a preference. I predict it will rain later based on factors that lean that way not pessimism.

I don't feel confident the Flames players will be able to shake off the rust before the Jets do.

I hope the Flames win. I want the Flames to win. I don't think they will.

We can discuss further at McDonalds in August.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 02:19 PM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I said in the other thread, I think it's a pretty even matchup, and I wouldn't be surprised to see either team win. But when in doubt, go with goaltending, and Hellebuyck should win the Vezina this year.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #23
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hellebuyck is a bum. Flames in 3.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
As I said in the other thread, I think it's a pretty even matchup, and I wouldn't be surprised to see either team win. But when in doubt, go with goaltending, and Hellebuyck should win the Vezina this year.
Thats fair, although we'll be a few months removed from that and it will feel like an entirely new season because of that.

Is Hellebuyck an early riser when it comes to his play?

Cause Dave Rittich is. September-November is when you see that guy have his most "standing on his head" performances. That level of play usually puts him in the top 6 or 7 goalies early on.

It really could go the Flames' way as easily as it could go the Jets'.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:58 PM   #25
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Edmonton vs Chicago: Chicago in 4.

Vancouver vs Minnesota: Vancouver in 5.

Nashville vs Arizona: Nashville in 5.

Calgary vs Winnipeg: Winnipeg in 5.

Pittsburgh vs Montreal: Pittsburgh in 3.

Carolina vs NY Rangers: NYR in 5.

NY Islanders vs Florida: Islanders in 4.

Toronto vs Columbus: Columbus in 5.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:08 PM   #26
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Edmonton vs Chicago: Chicago in 4.

Vancouver vs Minnesota: Minnesota in 3.

Nashville vs Arizona: Nashville in 5.

Calgary vs Winnipeg: Winnipeg in 5.

Pittsburgh vs Montreal: Pittsburgh in 3.

Carolina vs NY Rangers: NYR in 5.

NY Islanders vs Florida: Islanders in 4.

Toronto vs Columbus: Columbus in 5.
Fyp, ya filthy whale licker.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:48 PM   #27
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton vs Chicago --> Edmonton in 4. Hate it, but McDavid and Draisaitl are going to kill it. Also think Smith steals them a couple of games.

Vancouver vs Minnesota --> Minnesota in 4. I think the time off gave Dubnyk the much needed rest and will win the series with the veteran help from Minnesota vets. Plus, it's Minnesota, they are notorious for screwing up their draft position when they have the opportunity to pick in the top 10.

Nashville vs Arizona --> Arizona in 5. I feel like many think this is a boring series, but I am kind of intrigued to see the battle of Kuemper and Rinne (if Rinne is playing).

Calgary vs Winnipeg --> Winnipeg in 5. I really want to be wrong about this one, but something tells me that we are not going to be able to get much past Hellebuyck. Please hockey Gods, let me be wrong about this one.

Pittsburgh vs Montreal --> Pittsburgh in 3. Everyone is freaking about Carey Price and how he may steal the series, but that's about what they have as weaponry for the playoffs. The Penguins have Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel (who should be back) and Zucker, who looks like he fits right in with the system and should be a key player during their playoff run. It will be too much for the Habs.

Carolina vs NY Rangers --> Carolina in 4. Rangers have a good one in net, but the Canes have way better depth. The acquisitions from the TDL is going to make them very tough to beat in a series. Hamilton will be back, they added Skjei and Vatanen on the back end, and Trochek up front. I would have picked the Rangers if the season never stopped, but it did. We all know what happens to momentum when you stop playing for a long period of time. Basically, no one in the playoffs has momentum.

NY Islanders vs Florida --> Panthers in 5. This is the one I had trouble picking the most (after the Calgary/Winnipeg series). Could go either way, but if Florida can maintain decent defense throughout the playoffs and stable goaltending from Bobrovsky, they have the offensive threat that most teams dread to go up against. Trotz vs. Quenneville is going to be an interesting fight.

Toronto vs Columbus --> Toronto in 4. I think now that they are not up against Boston with no Kadri, they can finally get themselves going with some momentum as a top 16 team... Only to probably be beat by Boston again!
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:22 PM   #28
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Edmonton vs Chicago --> Edmonton in 4. Hate it, but McDavid and Draisaitl are going to kill it. Also think Smith steals them a couple of games.

Vancouver vs Minnesota --> Minnesota in 4. I think the time off gave Dubnyk the much needed rest and will win the series with the veteran help from Minnesota vets. Plus, it's Minnesota, they are notorious for screwing up their draft position when they have the opportunity to pick in the top 10.

Nashville vs Arizona --> Arizona in 5. I feel like many think this is a boring series, but I am kind of intrigued to see the battle of Kuemper and Rinne (if Rinne is playing).

Calgary vs Winnipeg --> Winnipeg in 5. I really want to be wrong about this one, but something tells me that we are not going to be able to get much past Hellebuyck. Please hockey Gods, let me be wrong about this one.

Pittsburgh vs Montreal --> Pittsburgh in 3. Everyone is freaking about Carey Price and how he may steal the series, but that's about what they have as weaponry for the playoffs. The Penguins have Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel (who should be back) and Zucker, who looks like he fits right in with the system and should be a key player during their playoff run. It will be too much for the Habs.

Carolina vs NY Rangers --> Carolina in 4. Rangers have a good one in net, but the Canes have way better depth. The acquisitions from the TDL is going to make them very tough to beat in a series. Hamilton will be back, they added Skjei and Vatanen on the back end, and Trochek up front. I would have picked the Rangers if the season never stopped, but it did. We all know what happens to momentum when you stop playing for a long period of time. Basically, no one in the playoffs has momentum.

NY Islanders vs Florida --> Panthers in 5. This is the one I had trouble picking the most (after the Calgary/Winnipeg series). Could go either way, but if Florida can maintain decent defense throughout the playoffs and stable goaltending from Bobrovsky, they have the offensive threat that most teams dread to go up against. Trotz vs. Quenneville is going to be an interesting fight.

Toronto vs Columbus --> Toronto in 4. I think now that they are not up against Boston with no Kadri, they can finally get themselves going with some momentum as a top 16 team... Only to probably be beat by Boston again!
Ahh yes,

Play in Round Predictions: Suicide booth edition.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:54 PM   #29
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Fyp, ya filthy whale licker.
First of all, how dare you.

I believe Stlalock is the starter in Minny now.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #30
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All the doom and gloom posters on here will pick the Jets. These posters are not happy unless the team is struggling or losing and they can complain about it.
And if the team is winning, then it’s on to the Bennett, Brodie and Looch bashing!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:55 PM   #31
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can't blame them for how they are, they were born in the doom and gloom.

But truthfully in the context of everything else going on, if you can't muster the hope/optimism to pick your own team in a matchup that's actually more favorable than a lot of others that could've been drawn, then you must live a pretty dark and hopeless existence. Why would you continue to punish yourself by coming back to this well in the covid times if your faith is that depleted.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 09:11 PM   #32
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sometimes it's about trying not to get your hopes up too high so it hurts less if/when we do lose.
We've all had our hearts broken by this team many many times.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:16 PM   #33
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Sometimes it's about trying not to get your hopes up too high so it hurts less if/when we do lose.
We've all had our hearts broken by this team many many times.
Remember that 1/31 teams gets out of the season without heartbreak. Cautious optimism with that reality in mind doesn't hurt. Hope is important to maintain, just don't go all in with your head and your heart by convincing yourself early on that yours is a team of destiny.... *glances with cringe northward*....

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-31-2020 at 09:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 09:19 PM   #34
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chicago 4
Minnesota 5
Nashville 4
Winnipeg 4

Pittsburgh 4
Carolina 3
NY Islanders 4
Columbus 5
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:24 PM   #35
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Remember that 1/31 teams gets out of the season without heartbreak. Cautious optimism with that reality in mind doesn't hurt. Hope is important to maintain, just don't go all in with your head and your heart by convincing yourself early on that yours is a team of destiny.... *glances with cringe northward*....
Heartbreak would be wonderful. It meant you truly loved. You were truly invested and for a moment actually believed your team could do something amazing, but in the end enough factors conspired to kill the dream.

I'd say 10ish fanbases get the privilege of heartbreak.

The other 20 taste some combination of bitterness, contempt, and apathy.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 01:06 AM   #36
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
It's a prediction not a preference. I predict it will rain later based on factors that lean that way not pessimism.

I don't feel confident the Flames players will be able to shake off the rust before the Jets do.

I hope the Flames win. I want the Flames to win. I don't think they will.

We can discuss further at McDonalds in August.
It wasn't just the Flames losing it was all their rivals winning too...seemed like a worst case scenario. IE pessimistic
Old 06-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #37
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thats fair, although we'll be a few months removed from that and it will feel like an entirely new season because of that.

Is Hellebuyck an early riser when it comes to his play?

Cause Dave Rittich is. September-November is when you see that guy have his most "standing on his head" performances. That level of play usually puts him in the top 6 or 7 goalies early on.

It really could go the Flames' way as easily as it could go the Jets'.
Rittich started the season 6-4-2 3.02 ga and .906 sv % in October. The Flames lost 3 out his first 5 starts.

He was great in October 2018-19 3-1-0 in games he started with a 2.08 ga and .939 sv %

Hellebuyck was 5-5-0 2.63 .921 sv in oct 2019

Pretty much a toss up as a series ... but the Flames would be big underdogs in a game 5.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #38
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edmonton in 5 - Chicago's time is done. They aren't really a playoff team at this point, so I've got to give it to Edmonton.
Vancouver in 4 - Vancouver has a good young team with good goal tending. Minnesota does not.
Nashville in 5 - Arizona's goal tending will push this one to 5, but I think they are otherwise outmatched by NSH.
Calgary in 4 - I thin it is nearly a wash comparing forwards, slight edge to WPG. On the back end Calgary is in the top third of the league while WPG may be the worst. Goal tending, edge to WPG but Rittich will be healthy and rested so it may not be as big of an advantage as some might think.
Pittsburgh in 3 - I don't see Carey Price as that big of a weapon, and other than that PIT outclasses MTL in every category.
Carolina in 4 - The Rangers took a big step this year, but I don't think they can compete with CAR at this point.
Florida in 5 - I have a gut feeling on this one, I think FLA gets going early and their offense overwhelms the Islanders.
Toronto in 4 - Unless the Jackets can find the magic of the first round last year, I think this is a fairly easy win for TOR.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #39
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh. The usual suspects are at it again and the games haven't even started.

Quote:
You can't blame them for how they are, they were born in the doom and gloom.

But truthfully in the context of everything else going on, if you can't muster the hope/optimism to pick your own team in a matchup that's actually more favorable than a lot of others that could've been drawn, then you must live a pretty dark and hopeless existence. Why would you continue to punish yourself by coming back to this well in the covid times if your faith is that depleted.
This is a prediction thread not a hope/optimism thread. Why do so many people struggle accepting that some people's predictions may not coincide with the team they hope wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It wasn't just the Flames losing it was all their rivals winning too...seemed like a worst case scenario. IE pessimistic
Well the Flames rivals happen to be the favorites in their series. Heaven forbid someone pick the teams that are the favorites.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-01-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #40
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton in 4
Vancouver in 4
Nashville in 5
Calgary in 5
Pittsburgh in 3
Carolina in 4