Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #1081
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're likely looking at a COVID spike in the next fortnight regardless, as a result of shops, hair salons, etc. opening up... given the much higher transmission likelihood in enclosed spaces. This is the highest percentage of mask usage out here that I've seen at any public space in Calgary thus far.

I'd have wagered we're heading for a second lockdown before Floyd was even killed and people started assembling in masses.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #1082
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
My neighborhood was on alert last night in Gilbert AZ.. We're close to an upscale mall w/ apple store.

Pretty crazy having to clean the barrels on my two handguns to prepare to protect my family. In the event they targeted homes. This isn't a flex, I was legitimately worried and scared for me and my family.

Rioters would be crazy to do so in this state. most people are armed for home protection
On a serious note, if you're the type of person who

a) thinks keeping firearms in the house for protection is a good idea (completely ignoring the fact that by doing so you are introducing a much larger risk than the one you are "protecting against")
b) preemptively prepare to use firearms to "protect" against property damage thus escalating a situation, and almost certainly making sure people get hurt (let's be honest, so far there are no roving bands of people living out the purge, you're more likely to be injured by cops enforcing a curfew than rioters)

Then I think you're a s####y irresponsible gun owner.

On a less serious note, if you're just now cleaning your guns to make sure they are ready to use, the I think you're a s####y irresponsible gun owner.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #1083
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outdoor activity is generally speaking pretty low risk. Not saying that spread is impossible, but a peaceful protest seems to me like it's pretty unlikely to cause many new cases, unless people were packed really tight, especially if they were chanting a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #1084
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Well I did my best to social distance. The vast majority are wearing masks. I haven't been out much but some things are worth the risk.
Says the healthy young man who may not get very sick if he got it, but would then likely spread and at some point to someone who would not be so young and healthy.

Basically if these Canadian protests cause an additional 200 Covid deaths (just picking a number).... that's worth the risk??

"worth the risk"
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #1085
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
We're likely looking at a COVID spike in the next fortnight regardless, as a result of shops, hair salons, etc. opening up... given the much higher transmission likelihood in enclosed spaces. This is the highest percentage of mask usage out here that I've seen at any public space in Calgary thus far.

I'd have wagered we're heading for a second lockdown before Floyd was even killed and people started assembling in masses.
If that were true, Edmonton would have started spiking already seeing as they have been opened up for over two weeks. These protests, as well intentioned as they may be, may end up prematurely ending the lives of elderly and immuno compromised people simply because of the concentration of people.

On the bright side, if we don't spike in two weeks, maybe we can fast track more economic recovery and outdoor activities, but I hope everyone there realizes they are taking a big gamble with someone else's lives to protest how others callously treat human life. I agree with the sentiment of this rally, but its ill timed and ill conceived right now.

Last edited by Thunderball; 06-01-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #1086
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Canada has our own systemic racism for sure, and I agree that a lot of it is directed to indigenous populations. I think it's less aggressive than in the United States and other countries but it still exists.

In terms of the police brutality aspect of this systemic racisim I do think in Canada we have better monitoring and intake policies but still improvement can be made.

I think one big problem across the world with Police (and military for that matter) is you have two large groups of people that work in those forces.

1) People that actually want to "Serve and Protect", and they view policing and military work as something that's done to protect people and actually fight true criminals and look out for their community

or

2) People that were bullies. That like the idea of power and being "the law" and want to use the force and power to feel bigger, stronger, and better than those around them. They want to use that force to feel better about themselves and treat it like an adrenaline rush.

I think in Canada we have a better mix of "1s" compared to "2s" in our police force, and it's why we don't see as many issues as they do in the US. But in the US I think the problem is it's more "2s" that are joining policing, and as that mix continues to flood the departments it just makes things like this worse.

It's why you see these fragile ego cops in some of those videos posted on the previous page who can't handle people standing up to them or talking down to them, and the only response is to lash out physically.

The other thing that has made it worse in the U.S. is the full militarization of their police forces. It's crazy how at the drop of the hat these cities appear to be able to have full riot/military grade gear for their entire police force. Using rubber bullets, tear gas, pepper spray, etc with no fear of repercussions because they feel like it's their right. The country didn't have face shields or PPE for doctors/nurses, but they were able to have all their police force in full body shields in minutes.

Man it's really frustrating as a society to see stuff like this happen, and yet somehow people still see things like "Not Being Racist" and "White Privilege" as controversial. Time for people to truly start stamping this out, and really it all starts with us white people confronting, and calling people out when they are being racist to minorities of any kind. Silence is not an option.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #1087
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I know I have a tremendous amount of white privilege saying this.....but I'm super worried about the covid spread from these protests. We *just* got the curve flattened.

Unfortunately I think we're going to be heading back to lockdown pretty soon.
To be honest I'm not worried about a spike in Covid as a result of this in Calgary. There's evidence that this is more of an indoor spread phenomenon than outdoors and the numbers at this points are small and mostly contained in Calgary and Alberta. I just don't want the same people participating or supporting these protests tut, tutting people who are upset about the livelihoods that are being destroyed by the lock-downs.

A person has to be a complete narcissist to claim in the lens of Covid that their participation in this is all well and good and small business owners who want to open up are morons of the pandemic. In my mind either it's reasonable from a Covid risk standpoint to gather like this or its not, regardless of perceived cause.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 06-01-2020 at 12:51 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #1088
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Says the healthy young man who may not get very sick if he got it, but would then likely spread and at some point to someone who would not be so young and healthy.

Basically if these Canadian protests cause an additional 200 Covid deaths (just picking a number).... that's worth the risk??

"worth the risk"
As others have said I don't believe the risk of outdoor transmission is all that high... especially not if you're wearing a mask and staying away from people. I've been actively trying to do this... I can't speak for other people. Basically everyone is wearing masks and a lot of people are keeping their distance.

Nothing is going to be foolproof but this is a substantial protest with an excellent cause. I don't take many risks at all and I've minimized my risks here... and I'm going to try and avoid immunocompromised ppl for a couple weeks after I leave. I hope others do the same.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #1089
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
If that were true, Edmonton would have started spiking already seeing as they have been opened up for over two weeks. These protests, as well intentioned as they may be, may end up prematurely ending the lives of elderly and immuno compromised people simply because of the concentration of people.

On the bright side, if we don't spike in two weeks, maybe we can fast track more economic recovery and outdoor activities, but I hope everyone there realizes they are taking a big gamble with someone else's lives to protest how others callously treat human life. I agree with the sentiment of this rally, but its ill timed and ill conceived right now.
Edmonton had around 5 cases(maybe less?) when they opened up, Calgary has hundreds. I'm not sure you can look at Edmonton as a predictor of what might happen here.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #1090
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I think it's OK to congregate in protests, just as long as people recognize the following points:

1. We are still the midst of a pandemic and under no circumstances is the virus less contagious now that lockdowns are being eased.
2. If you don't wear a mask and social distance right now, you are part of the problem.
3. A second wave is still very likely and mass public gatherings do not help mitigate that fact.

Get your free mask at McDonalds, A&W and Tim Hortons!
Old 06-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #1091
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The police profile us but don't really kill us in big numbers here - the systemic racism is more directed to indigenous populations. Will we march for them? I talked to people this morning. The hypocrisy is understandable... but there's work to be done than I can manage. I've lost my voice and people seem unable to talk to me from a feet away.
I personally see it as a chance to help all people of color, so I do hope people are marching for the indigenous people as well.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #1092
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Outdoor transmission is relatively low risk, and the mask usage is high. Our COVID cases are much higher in the Calgary region (and have been the entire time) vs Edmonton, so that alone is not an indicator.

Either way I'm not condoning this rally, and was not involved for the bulk of it but I feel some level of obligation to be involved given how vocal I am about this issue here and on every other platform. A lot of people don't actually get the chance to talk to a black American about these issues and are so grossly misinformed that it's good for me to be involved.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #1093
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Edmonton had around 5 cases(maybe less?) when they opened up, Calgary has hundreds. I'm not sure you can look at Edmonton as a predictor of what might happen here.
Edmonton currently has 69 active known cases, Calgary currently has 440 known cases. Less, sure, but if super spreaders are any indication, it doesn't take much.

I should add, I don't think there's much risk outdoors, but a critical mass of people does amplify that limited risk.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #1094
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I personally see it as a chance to help all people of color, so I do hope people are marching for the indigenous people as well.
There have been lots of signs and chants about indigenous people from my vantage point

I've left the protest. I hope it doesn't get ugly later but for now I have nothing but good things to say about how it was handled. Overwhelming majority wore masks and there was plenty of social distancing. I was largely able to stay at least 4-6 get away from people at all times.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #1095
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Floyd really picked a crappy time to get murdered by a cop. I mean, this attempt at changing the very fabric of our pretty ####ed up society towards PoC should clearly wait until the pandemic is over, right?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #1096
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cops said about 1500 people at the protest
Old 06-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #1097
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Cops said about 1500 people at the protest
That seems low to me. I'd say there are probably 1500 now but when it started in East Village it was probably close to double that.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #1098
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been a few pages since I posted a Jon Oliver segment, but it is just so relevant right now.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #1099
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Floyd really picked a crappy time to get murdered by a cop. I mean, this attempt at changing the very fabric of our pretty ####ed up society towards PoC should clearly wait until the pandemic is over, right?

In all seriousness, having this pandemic at the same time may have made it possible to have a lot more people able to participate in demonstrations. A lot of people are out of work right now with no job to go back to on Monday, there are no sports and no movies as a distraction. This is probably the time that real change happens if it is ever going to happen. This is revolutionary times we are living in.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #1100
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Edmonton currently has 69 active known cases, Calgary currently has 440 known cases. Less, sure, but if super spreaders are any indication, it doesn't take much.

I should add, I don't think there's much risk outdoors, but a critical mass of people does amplify that limited risk.
Sorry, ya I was remembering their new cases per day being low.

But ya, these outdoor events are probably a lot lower risk than the ride there on transit.
Closed Thread