Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2020, 10:06 PM   #2021
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree the roster is getting bloated.

What AEW needs to do is get back to good wrestling shows, and less of the theatre. You can make the Revival successful by not overexposing them; give them the slow build, despite their expectations. And less Inner Circle please, they're getting too much air time.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #2022
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I agree the roster is getting bloated.

What AEW needs to do is get back to good wrestling shows, and less of the theatre. You can make the Revival successful by not overexposing them; give them the slow build, despite their expectations. And less Inner Circle please, they're getting too much air time.
Yeah. The Inner Circle has lost their way a bit.

At first they were a serious stable that was booked strong and had just a hint of comedy to keep it light. Now they have went way too far in the other direction and have become a comedy act and they don’t seem like a serious threat at all anymore.

It’s funny because it reminds of what Jericho said his mistake was in WWE when he first debuted. Where he went too far down the whiny heel path and Vince didn’t take him seriously anymore.

Only exception in Inner Circle IMO is Sammy, who I think is fantastic. Really the issue is the whole group is going for a comedy act when really the rest of the guys should be serious, and Sammy should be the one playing cowardly heel which he does so well.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:36 PM   #2023
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Right now AEW has 50 male wrestlers on its roster and 15 active woman wrestlers, For a company that's running a two hour show a week, its way over bloated, and they're going to end up with a Lanny Poffo situation.

I've always said that in terms of factions, I hate it when they do comedy or comedy bits, it just reminds me two much of 3MB and for me it doesn't work. A faction should be deadly serious, kick everyone's asses and just be a threat to everything until the fans are screaming for them to get theirs.

I really like Moxley, but I just think that they've told him to be Steve Austin, and its just lazy, especially considering how creative and talented Moxley is.

At the end of the day, I still, and I said it below feel like the people writing the show are writing it for each other, and at times you even feel that the broadcast crew knows it.

Don't get me wrong, its still a good show, but both the WWE and AEW are going through one of those cyclical periods where the booking isn't great, and yeah, my fear for AEW is it just feels too much like WCW when it was going through its serious decline.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #2024
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cornette is never gonna get hired cause he keeps saying dumb or offensive stuff, like what he did about becky last week
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #2025
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, he's outspoken, and he says stupid stuff. But I put him up there with Heyman as far as outright feel for the business and story telling, both of them are pretty elite.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #2026
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

For AEW

They seem to be drawing too much into the swerve vs what is right

Just because everyone expected hardy to lead the dark order, doesnt mean you shouldnt have done it

Brodie Lee is exactly like you said, needed to be a big hoss, even with archer coming, they are really light on big men, he should have been an easy booking

Same with cody beating archer

Revival will be interesting how they do, they really need a manager cause they are boring as hell on the mic

womens division is a joke but they are limited by talent, will be interesting to see in the next year or so when I'm sure some of the wwe and nxt womens contracts expire, who could become their top woman instantly, if they sign a bunch

Hagerty being in the inner circle is only way he could be booked imo, hes another with limited moveset and no charisma

I think they are using jericho really well actually, everyone hes working with or against is getting bigger than they were before. They can do this with him for a while in a stable.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #2027
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The B/R Live and FIVE.TV streaming buys for AEW’s 2020 Double Or Nothing pay-per-view were up more than 10% from February’s AEW Revolution pay-per-view, and could be up 15% when all is accounted for, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Double Or Nothing drew between 100,000 and 110,000 buys, which would be the second-highest number in company history, going back to the 2019 Double Or Nothing pay-per-view.

Its a good bump for them, it'll be interesting to see where the next PPV goes, there have definitely been mixed reviews on double or Nothing, but we should start seeing some trends with them.

I don't know if I want to read anything into it yet, but on Average the AEW show on Wednesdays is usually getting between 700k and 900k per week, so there might be a minor disconnect between fans watching and being willing to buy.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #2028
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post

Brodie Lee is exactly like you said, needed to be a big hoss, even with archer coming, they are really light on big men, he should have been an easy booking

For the love of Christ, stop making him talk.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #2029
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh man, I forgot about this

https://twitter.com/user/status/1266506303230349313

Old 05-29-2020, 10:10 PM   #2030
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Jesus between AEW and WWE North American Wrestling is completely brain dead with drizzling poop booking and writing.

I mean I went back and watched the Stadium Stampede and it just wasn't great, it was one long line of what the fa, inside jokes that the booker or producer thought was funny and it wasn't.

Then I went to Smackdown tonight and there was a 20 minute skit with Otis and Mandy redoing the swimming pool scene from Fast Times with Mandy taking the role of the masterbating male, and Otis the one trick pony walking around and being stupid and mumbling and doing cannon balls into the pool.

I was watching the imported NXT crowd and I flashed back to WCW's Saturday Night show at Disney when they had signs telling the fans to cheer or boo. Why in the blue frack are the NXT heels stupidly cheering for the faces and booing the heels.

I mean Smackdown had some good parts, The Bliss Cross and Bayley Sasha stuff was good. Miz and Morrison are brilliant on the mike, but lets be honest, Stroman is awful and boring, and he's not going to draw a dime.

I mean its easy to blame Vince for this, but HHH and Stephanie and everyone in the back has to take heat for how awful WWE is right now.

I get it they're lost, empty rinks blah blah blah. But they and AEW are writing their shows like its skit comedy. Come on even in an empty building you can still follow some fracking wrestling logic.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:21 AM   #2031
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh and to addon, doing a Jeff Hardy drunk driving accident hurting another person was really bad taste. It reminded me of WCW when they decided to help his alcohol issues by having Scott Hall act drunk every night.

And then Hardy gets arrested and is released in time to make it back to the show just in time for the end. Its like when Goldberg was arrested for harassing Elizabeth and he barely made it back even though he was released at the end of the first hour of Nitro and it took him 2 hours to walk across the street from the Police Station to the arena.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:11 AM   #2032
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Oh and to addon, doing a Jeff Hardy drunk driving accident hurting another person was really bad taste.
Yeah, that was bad. Though I think what we'll probably find out is Sheamus framed him and poured alcohol on him and the car. Still they should have left out the alcohol part.

It's like if Drake Mavarick's release ends up being a work. That wouldn't be cool considering so many others actually lost their jobs at the same time.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:34 AM   #2033
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
It's like if Drake Mavarick's release ends up being a work. That wouldn't be cool considering so many others actually lost their jobs at the same time.

I think there are more than a few guys who got a "as soon as things go back to normal" handshake deal. I've suspected Drake got one of those from the get go.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-30-2020, 01:56 AM   #2034
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I think there are more than a few guys who got a "as soon as things go back to normal" handshake deal. I've suspected Drake got one of those from the get go.
Yeah, his video just seemed a bit too planned to me and how it keeps getting mentioned he's fighting for a job. I just can't see why they would bother releasing someone and then giving them a push for a title instead of someone who made the cut.

It sure had an effect on alot of people though. A guy on my Facebook lost his #### and said he was done with the WWE because of it.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #2035
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cap, if you don't enjoy it, don't watch. At this point it seems like you turn it on just to complain about it and it's making this thread unbearable IMO.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #2036
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree about Moxley being booked like Stone Cold. In fact I was in the other room when Dynamite was on for bit and swore I heard Austin, but it was just Mox. It was shocking how the voice and the content were basically identical.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #2037
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like Angle is close to signing a new deal with WWE which isn't surprising after using him on TV this week.

https://rajah.com/node/wwe-hall-fame...-sign-new-deal
Old 05-30-2020, 10:23 PM   #2038
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wonder if its at a discount, didn't they let him go as a producer.

Watched two things on the Network. A old colluseum video on the Bulldogs. and a documentary on Chris Jericho. I also watched the Talk is Jericho with Steph and Cena the other day and both were good watches.

I think tomorrow I'm going to watch the In your house from Calgary.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #2039
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expect Forgotten Sons to get a huge push.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267605081635110917
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 PM   #2040
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Expect Forgotten Sons to get a huge push.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267605081635110917
They were getting a push. It just ended.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post: