Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #161
standinmotion
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
Doctors reporting on this new virus were arrested in China, and forced to recant their statements. That happened! Reporters imprisoned.

They deliberately tried to hide this viral outbreak from the world again. If you are arresting doctors and the media to me that means you are trying to hide something.

We will never know the truth, but there is a general consent that the local government (Wuhan) tried to hide this, not the central government.
standinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #162
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by standinmotion View Post
We will never know the truth, but there is a general consent that the local government (Wuhan) tried to hide this, not the central government.

Where have you seen that, The Central Government in China is in control of everything, so I doubt there's a general consent that it was a local issues and the main party was oblivious to it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:27 AM   #163
standinmotion
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Where have you seen that, The Central Government in China is in control of everything, so I doubt there's a general consent that it was a local issues and the main party was oblivious to it.
I read UK news, which has more coverages on China than North America news. It's so much easier to find this info in January, but here's from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E...mainland_China You can see the reported timeline, the Central Government wasn't notified until Dec. 31 or early January.

Another article on CBC that suggested it's the local government fault: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/china...aims-1.5471946

Another article that showed anger was geared towards local government, and the local officials were sacked: https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...0c664d064c5649

Again, I don't think we will ever know the full truth.

China Central Government rules with an iron fist; but China is so vast that enforcing them is not always easy.
standinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to standinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 07:38 AM   #164
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its more they didn't want to tell the central government from what I've read. Whether that is true or deflecting blame - I do not know.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #165
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientists Are Tired of Explaining Why The COVID-19 Virus Was Not Made in a Lab
It's a rumour that just won't die. When asked whether the COVID-19 virus was genetically engineered in a lab, scientists have already said "no" rather firmly, but the matter of the new coronavirus' origin is unlikely to be put to rest so easily.

Discussions around this subject have become even more pertinent since US government intelligence officials are reportedly investigating the potential source of the pandemic, focussing on theories that it may have originated in a laboratory, despite all evidence pointing to SARS-CoV-2 not being human-made.

"All evidence so far points to the fact the COVID-19 virus is naturally derived and not man-made," explains immunologist Nigel McMillan from the Menzies Health Institute Queensland.

"If you were going to design it in a lab the sequence changes make no sense as all previous evidence would tell you it would make the virus worse. No system exists in the lab to make some of the changes found."
https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-...n-a-lab-rumour
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #166
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

More support this wasn't a lab escapee:

https://science.slashdot.org/story/2...tm_medium=feed
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #167
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever I hear conspiracy theories like this one, I always tell people to go look up Occam's Razor, understand how it's applied in logic and science, and then get back to me.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #168
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Whenever I hear conspiracy theories like this one, I always tell people to go look up Occam's Razor, understand how it's applied in logic and science, and then get back to me.
You first.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #169
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You first.
It's really the simplest solution if you do it yourself peter... don't add complexity!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #170
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
It's really the simplest solution if you do it yourself peter... don't add complexity!
Haha my point is that people like to blab blab about Occam's Razor typically as a throwaway rejoinder. They almost never start out with it as an approach. Throw in some logic and science and I'm rolling my eyes.

For the record, I agree that it is probably impossible this thing started in a lab, but for awhile it wasn't a ridiculous theory no matter what the amateur logicians here say.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #171
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Haha my point is that people like to blab blab about Occam's Razor typically as a throwaway rejoinder. They almost never start out with it as an approach. Throw in some logic and science and I'm rolling my eyes.

For the record, I agree that it is probably impossible this thing started in a lab, but for awhile it wasn't a ridiculous theory no matter what the amateur logicians here say.
And I learned a new word, guess my rejoinder was not bad at all
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 01:33 PM   #172
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
And I learned a new word, guess my rejoinder was not bad at all
We all teach each other logic, science, and vocabulary here on Calgarypuck.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:07 PM   #173
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I blame the Dugway incident and similar events that happened throughout the 1970s. Thirty years after the main incident, it was confirmed that there was a conspiracy to hide the truth. People who believed it was a conspiracy were ridiculed.

The incident went on to influence conspiracy theory culture.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #174
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I blame the Dugway incident and similar events that happened throughout the 1970s. Thirty years after the main incident, it was confirmed that there was a conspiracy to hide the truth. People who believed it was a conspiracy were ridiculed.

I'd vote for the internet and the fact that conmen and yokels can globally intermingle.

I have never heard of the Dugway incident.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:21 PM   #175
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I'd vote for the internet and the fact that conmen and yokels can globally intermingle.

I have never heard of the Dugway incident.
Basically, the U.S. was testing powerful nerve agents in the Utah desert. Herds of livestock would fall dead and flocks of birds would fall from the sky. It happened between 1968 and 1976, even after the U.S. signed international treaties banning the development and testing of those nerve agents. In 1998, they admitted that it was the likely cause after denying it for 30 years. They still claim they were accidents though.

The idea of mysterious animal deaths been used in films and stories that go on about about government conspiracies.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #176
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Origin of the Wuhan Coronavirus: Nature

/thread
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #177
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

The main driver over my life has always been the Kennedy assassination, that was a residual pool of numptyhood long before the web, of course once the web and 9/11 happened like a virus stupidity expanded exponentially
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #178
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Origin of coronavirus confirmed:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Dearlove.html
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #179
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chinese Government's Official Response:

Old 06-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #180
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Follow the money.......

Quote:
It warns that current efforts to develop a vaccine are destined for failure because the true aetiology of the virus has been misunderstood. To remedy the problem, the researchers are developing their own vaccine, produced by Immunor AS, a Norwegian pharmaceutical company led by Mr Sorensen.
Birger Sorensen is a virologist and one of the authors of the report.

Quote:
Correspondence seen by The Telegraph shows that, in April, the initial paper was rejected by leading academic journals including Nature and the Journal of Virology, which deemed the research "unsuitable for publication".
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...caped-chinese/

Last edited by La Flames Fan; 06-04-2020 at 02:58 PM.
La Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to La Flames Fan For This Useful Post: