That seems a bit much.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:08 PM   #202
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
They need to do one on why the Canadian teams haven’t won a Stanley Cup in thirty years. Coming up on ESPN, our new series, “Zero for Thirty.”
"Players generally don't want to go to Canadian cities, preferring big, warm US cities with loads of entertainment and anonymity. To add to that, Canadian fans and owners are impatient and try to fast track to success as soon as they start to rise in the standings".

The end.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 06:21 AM   #203
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The Bill Walton one is 4 parts.
That seems a bit much.
That seems to be the trend with 30 for 30. I loved the early ones that were generally 60-90 minutes. I don't follow basketball but an hour of my time learning something about Reggie Miller or Len Bias was quite interesting. Then it became two hours for most and a lot just didn't justify that. Now nearly every episode has become multi-part. Does it really take three hours to tell the American Gladiators story? Do I have 6 hours to spend watching a documentary on Oscar Pistorius? They need to get some editors.
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 07:25 AM   #204
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Part 1 was good. I thought part 2 was a huge waste of time. I shut it off.
I actually thought the opposite. I found part 2 to be more interesting than part 1 but as Asernal14 mentioned it really was too long and it could have been one part instead of two. The American Gladiators one was actually pretty bad and it was put together to streak the ego of the creator. This is mostly why I disliked part 1 because of the focus while part 2 shifted away from him to a greater degree.

I think the best ones have been Be Water about Bruce Lee, the Mike Vick one and the Deion Sanders one.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 07:56 AM   #205
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah I didn’t like the American Gladiators one. And I wouldn’t watch a 1 part show on Bill Walton let alone 4.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:10 AM   #206
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
That seems to be the trend with 30 for 30. I loved the early ones that were generally 60-90 minutes. I don't follow basketball but an hour of my time learning something about Reggie Miller or Len Bias was quite interesting. Then it became two hours for most and a lot just didn't justify that. Now nearly every episode has become multi-part. Does it really take three hours to tell the American Gladiators story? Do I have 6 hours to spend watching a documentary on Oscar Pistorius? They need to get some editors.
Yup there were also multi-part ones one the Lakers/Celtics (which was pretty good) and the '86 Mets.

Within those longer ones, there are clear opportunities for a much tighter edit.

But I guess they need content so it's almost intentionally bloated.

The first 2 series were still I think the best ones.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 03:31 PM   #207
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
"Players generally don't want to go to Canadian cities, preferring big, warm US cities with loads of entertainment and anonymity. To add to that, Canadian fans and owners are impatient and try to fast track to success as soon as they start to rise in the standings".

The end.
Taxes.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:11 PM   #208
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Taxes.
The tax issue is virtually irrelevant though. These guys should all have access to professionals who can make it a non-issue for them with a little foresight and planning. I can do it, and there are plenty of guys like me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote