Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #521
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Having recently gotten into F1 can someone explain team Haas? They always qualify last and unless someone doesn’t finish a race they come last. Why even bother.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #522
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Having recently gotten into F1 can someone explain team Haas? They always qualify last and unless someone doesn’t finish a race they come last. Why even bother.
They're the newest team on the grid and built ground up. HAAS racing has mega roots in Nascar and Indycar. Remember Newman/Haas of indycar?

They changed the game in terms of how they source things for their cars. Literally re wrote the book.

Their issue is poor sponsorship strategy. They don't get the money other teams do.

Honestly if 2022 doesn't change things for them with the new spending cap rule They're likely done in F1.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #523
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
They've had better seasons, they pretty much just didn't develop this years car at all and straight-up said their goal is to just to survive until next year with the rule changes
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #524
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, signing Mazespin because Dad's a Russian Oil Oligarch was a bit of a stretch. It's kind of what I mean by poor sponsorship strategy.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #525
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It’s too bad because I feel like Haas was a real fan favourite underdog, especially for an American team in a euro dominated sport.

But they’ve really screwed the pooch. Between the sponsor debacles, Mazepin being a POS and their awful development, they went from being the plucky and entertaining underdogs, to the black sheep of the grid.

Gunther used to be one of the best characters in F1 with his brutal honesty and weird sense of humour. DTS was the Haas showcase and the was the star. Now he’s basically the epitome of Haas’ dysfunction. It’s kinda sad.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #526
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Haas of Newman/Haas is not the Haas of F1. Two different unrelated people.

The 2021 Haas is the 2020 Haas which wasn't a very good car. They are doing this to save money and focus on 2022 which has brand new regulations for car design.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #527
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
The Haas of Newman/Haas is not the Haas of F1. Two different unrelated people.

The 2021 Haas is the 2020 Haas which wasn't a very good car. They are doing this to save money and focus on 2022 which has brand new regulations for car design.
I had to look that up as I swore it was the same Haas family. Color me shocked there is two Haas racing families with no connections whatsoever.

Looking at this F1 Haas net worth seems he has a rather large stake invested in this team. He's really banking on turning this thing into a legitimate contender.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #528
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I had to look that up as I swore it was the same Haas family. Color me shocked there is two Haas racing families with no connections whatsoever.

Looking at this F1 Haas net worth seems he has a rather large stake invested in this team. He's really banking on turning this thing into a legitimate contender.
Hahaha, WTF?? I also assumed it was the same family/group. I had no idea...TIL!!

I also like the F1 HAAS approach as they did try to live up to the spirit of F1 and develop there own car (*coughASTONMARTINcough*) while realizing they couldn't compete with the big boys. They got screwed by the Ferrari engine debacle as well and have focused on the 2022 car for a while.

There now saddled with a bad driver in Mazespin and Schumacher who may end up in Alfa Romeo next year if Kimi retires.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 11:42 PM   #529
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Really good chain bear video on the penalties. He nails it at the end.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #530
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've really enjoyed this season so far. The battle between Red Bull and Mercedes is great and I think the mid field has been better than I though it would be.

The first sprint race and different qualifying at Silverstone will be very interesting. Sounds like they'll be able to have some fans in attendance too.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #531
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right! Sprint quali. So much more room for chaos.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #532
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah. If they're anything like the Formula 2 sprint race(s) so far, then chaos and excitement abound!

What's the tire allotment for that race? I would assume another 3-4 sets of varying compounds due to the extra 100 km's of race condition they will be putting the cars through.

Last edited by Insufficient Funds; 07-08-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #533
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post
Yeah. If they're anything like the Formula 2 sprint race(s) so far, then chaos and excitement abound!

What's the tire allotment for that race? I would assume another 3-4 sets of varying compounds due to the extra 100 km's or race condition they will be putting the cars through.

Chain Bear for all things F1! lol.

At around the 5 min mark he discusses tyres.

TL;DR teams normally get 13 sets total with various allocations (give two back after each FP, 2 sets for race, 4 sets plus a "bonus" Q3 tyre for qually)

Sprint qualifying weekends: only 12 sets total, 2 sets allocated for sprint qually, teams are only expected to use 1 though as the race is too short to justify pitting. There are also a few other minor differences due to the lack of FP3, otherwise mostly the same as a regular weekend.

As with 2020, Pirelli are choosing the allocations between the 3 allowable compounds. In non-covid seasons, teams get to pick how they allocate their 13 tyres amongst the 3 selected compounds for the weekend.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-08-2021 at 01:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 01:03 PM   #534
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crofty saying on the radio today that Russell to Merc will be announced at silverstone!
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #535
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What did we decide we are doing on Sprint weekends? Picks in Thursday?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #536
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
What did we decide we are doing on Sprint weekends? Picks in Thursday?
Same as normal IIRC. Sprint race is still on Saturday, so picks due Friday midnight. The Friday qualifying sets the order for the Sprint Race which decides the race start order.

We can change if people want...

I know there are points available from the qualy sprint, but those are not included in our point scoring for this year. Suggest we look at it next year and can add in then.
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #537
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth View Post
Crofty saying on the radio today that Russell to Merc will be announced at silverstone!
Interesting...seems bit early to me. But if they call Russell then I'm sure Bottas is gonna give a big FU to Merc for the rest of year. He's good enough to get a drive elsewhere, but no chance he helps them get back into the Constructors.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:36 PM   #538
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like he is exactly helping them right now anyways
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:21 PM   #539
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If that's the case it'll be really interesting who Williams gets to fill Russels seat. I'd like to see Albon return. I think he could flourish outside of the RB pressure cooker that is the RB 2nd seat.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:52 PM   #540
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth View Post

If that's true, so much for saying they'll decide over the summer.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote