Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2022, 09:14 PM   #61
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Good for Darryl in getting the recognition and winning the Jack Adams award.

Interesting from that interview that player training programs start on June 20 already.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:21 PM   #62
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
I wonder if there is anyone out there who gives less of a #### about this than Darryl himself? I honestly don’t think he gives a flying F. Darryl only measures success on the ice, and he can’t be pleased with how this season ended at all.
He said as much when he was nominated. Said he doesn’t need it, there are young guys or guys who got a raw deal like Gallant who deserve then said if he had a vote it would be for gallant.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:38 PM   #63
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by standinmotion View Post
The Flames overachieved this year, thanks to Sutter.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Disagree. Flames played to their potential thanks to Sutter. To be quite honest, it's simple.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 09:50 PM   #64
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sure, he won the award.

But Darryl didn't want it, and he still has unfinished business in Calgary.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...h-of-the-year/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:55 PM   #65
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to Darryl for winning the Jack Adams Award. But, he probably wants that Cup and unfinished business this year more than anything. Let’s hope he gets it done soon before he retires as coach of the Flames. I also hope that coach-of-the-year award isn’t gonna jinx him either.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:57 PM   #66
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by standinmotion View Post
The Flames overachieved this year, thanks to Sutter.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Did they really do much more than the 2019 Flames, outside of drawing an easier opponent?

I think the Flames grossly underachieved under Geoff Ward, and Sutter absolutely brought them back to the level they should have been playing at, but when I think of teams who truly overachieved this year, the Wild really stand out.

Not to take away from Sutter's fantastic coaching iob, but Evason worked miracles for the second year running.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:57 PM   #67
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Jay Woodcroft… LOL
He made the top 13 so him being a top candidate was hardly even much exaggeration as far as Oilers fans and media go!
Old 06-02-2022, 10:00 PM   #68
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

This states that the GM award is voted on after the second round

Quote:
Voting: NHL general managers and a panel of League executives, print and broadcast media vote for the Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award at the conclusion of the Second Round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, with the top three vote-getters designated as finalists.
https://records.nhl.com/awards/troph...the-year-award

Nothing to do with the Jack Adams, I know. Had my messed up trophy rules mixed up.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:00 PM   #69
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
That’s insane that Hrudey voted for Woodcroft. Pull him off Flames broadcasts permanently. Wow.
Especially when you hear all his biases when the 2 team’s are playing. Really annoying when he lives in Calgary.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 10:26 PM   #70
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Did they really do much more than the 2019 Flames, outside of drawing an easier opponent?

I think the Flames grossly underachieved under Geoff Ward, and Sutter absolutely brought them back to the level they should have been playing at, but when I think of teams who truly overachieved this year, the Wild really stand out.

Not to take away from Sutter's fantastic coaching iob, but Evason worked miracles for the second year running.

As someone who was in the dressing room back in Sutter's first go-round and is relatively close to it now (COVID means we're probably never going back into the room) I would say the foundational difference made in Calgary this year is far more deeply rooted than any other group this year. Evason was great and not taking anything away from him but the Wild have been building that identity up for a couple of years already. And while the Flames had success in 2019 it was hockey that would not bring about a championship. In spite of what happened, the Flames brand of hockey now is way more sustainable.
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 10:29 PM   #71
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1532526696401870848
Old 06-03-2022, 06:38 AM   #72
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post
. And while the Flames had success in 2019 it was hockey that would not bring about a championship. In spite of what happened, the Flames brand of hockey now is way more sustainable.
That is revisionist history.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 06-03-2022, 06:51 AM   #73
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two things beyond the obvious comment of congratulations to Darryl...well earned.

1. How does Rod Brind'amour not get more love? Just a few votes his way after another great season from Carolina. Their roster doesn't scream elite talent, but just a bunch of very good players. They work hard and play incredibly well together in their system. They won their division, which wasn't easy to do. That's all coaching.

2. How sickening it is to see Woodcroft get any votes at all. Sycophantic Edmonton media members always voting in their own. Gross.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 06:55 AM   #74
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
I wonder if there is anyone out there who gives less of a #### about this than Darryl himself? I honestly don’t think he gives a flying F. Darryl only measures success on the ice, and he can’t be pleased with how this season ended at all.
Maybe today he doesn't care but once he's retired I'm sure a little part of him will be proud of what he accomplished this season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:33 AM   #75
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
What's been revised?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:05 AM   #76
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
I'm guessing the people who voted Woodcroft had the same line of thinking as this guy.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1532363912661741570
The guy isn’t wrong about leadership. All his points are generally valid.

Yet they also apply to a lot of top coaches and leaders. Some much better examples of. Honestly Woodcroft gets credit for praising McDavid? That is an awful example. McDavid is the leader, you praise the lower level or junior players who don’t get praised all the time.

As soon as I saw this post I thought this guy would be from Edmonton. Yep it checks out. Is it like Soviet Russia up there that they only get fed pro-state drivel on how special their city and team is because looking outside would tell you otherwise?

Oh right they get SN and Spector is up there, don’t answer that.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:07 AM   #77
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Writing a book doesn't seem like a very Sutter thing to do, but I hope he does it someday after retirement. He has so much experience and insight to share.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:17 AM   #78
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
What's been revised?
What has changed about the Flames' "brand of hockey"?

Obviously there are small roster improvements (Lindholm at centre instead of Monahan, Tanev over Hamonic, Coleman instead of Frolik, Markstrom instead of the Rittich/Smith tandem, Toffoli over Neal) but the style of play between the two teams (2018-19 and 2021-22) was more similar than different.

It seems that the two awful years under Geoff Ward playing that awful style have altered everyone's perception of that 2019 team and its dominance. They were a bonafide cup contender up outside of the weak start. Much like this year's team they dominated regular season games by controlling the play, checking tight, and getting career years out of its top players plus Mangiapane. They hit a tough matchup in round one with Makar coming in out of college. Both teams can even point to playoff Hanifin as their achilles heel.

The narrative during the Ward era became that they were a fluke team under Peters but there was never any evidence to support that. It's revisionist history to say the 2018-19 Flames were anything but a damn good team in terms of how they played.

If you're suggesting that the difference between the two teams is guys like Lucic and Zadorov adding toughness, I hard disagree. None of these tough guys made a difference in the meaningful games.

I think Sutter is a better coach than Peters, but I don't think they're playing a more "sustainable" brand of hockey.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 06-03-2022 at 08:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 08:25 AM   #79
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think you mean "hindsight", not revisionist history And i agree, in hindsight, this brand of Sutter hockey is more sustainable / consistent than the 2019 version.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:29 AM   #80
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
I think you mean "hindsight", not revisionist history And i agree, in hindsight, this brand of Sutter hockey is more sustainable / consistent than the 2019 version.
I think you mean "recency bias", not hindsight.

Tags
jack adams?