Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #421
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think you are being overly harsh because you had preconceived notions that he couldn't pull off a role like this. He's been fine. I thought that locked in the cellar scene was pretty powerful.
I thought that was actually really poorly delivered. Like acting class delivered.

He was better later in the episode though.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 07:27 AM   #422
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not 100% sure on this, but pretty major spoiler if I am correct. Speculation on Farrell's character-

Spoiler!
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #423
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I thought that was actually really poorly delivered. Like acting class delivered.

He was better later in the episode though.
Have you ever been in an acting class? He was lying in bed looking at the roof. Not exactly sure how you deliver that any differently unless the scene called for tears or something of that to which it didn't.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #424
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no set tone this year. It's just floating about so it's hard to get into the show. The characters are broken, but they are too broken for us to give a hoot about them.

Spoiler!

That's not good at all.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #425
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Have you ever been in an acting class? He was lying in bed looking at the roof. Not exactly sure how you deliver that any differently unless the scene called for tears or something of that to which it didn't.
It's all in the eyes
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #426
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
It's all in the eyes
Don't forget use of voice.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #427
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who the hell is/was Stan??
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #428
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just one of Frank's guys. I'm not even sure he was spoken to by name or had a line in any of the episodes.

I think he was the guy who maced the guy in episode two.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-05-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #429
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that Stan thing was confusing. Left me wondering what (or who, I guess) I'd missed.

That last minute or so with Vince going through a range of pained looks on his face had me thinking maybe I was being messed with. That was bad.

This season so far has been a disappointment.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 01:38 AM   #430
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Stan thing was a total miss for me because i thought that maybe Stan was the guy that Vaughn was extorting at the construction company. Obviously not.

I wasn't as down on the last episode as some here, but this one wasn't good. I don't care about any of these people at the moment. I'm sure this will all tie together at the end, but it needs to be compelling enough to get people to stick around until the payoff.

Also, it looks like I was right about the closeted gay thing with kitsch's character. Not that it was subtle at all or took any real insight on my part.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #431
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find that if you take Vince Vaughn's performance as a campy, second rate Scarface that this season is much more enjoyable. Also try and block out the Taylor Kitsch scenes or think of him as an acting student trying his hardest to act material above his talent level.

Show also takes itself way too seriously and could benefit from more dark humour like season 1 had. I'll likely watch the whole season but obviously there was destined to be a decline in the quality of acting this season. I hoped we could see better from Vaughn and Kitsch but they are out of their depth here.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #432
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The e-cigarette stuff is so unnessecary to me
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #433
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that was Vaughn's best performance of the season so far.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #434
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every scene with Kitsch is painful. His facial expressions don't change. He seems bored to be there.
McAdams is a very good actress, but I don't believe her in the role.
Vaughan was a clear miscast from the beginning.

Farrell has been the best, for me (and that's not saying much). I did cringe at that line to the kid after he beat the snot out of his father.

This season had very big boots to fill. The story isn't as strong and combined with a big drop in talent level, it's not hard to see why this one's been a dud so far (IMO).

Last edited by Machiavelli; 07-06-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Machiavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #435
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think each episode of season two has been better than the last so far. I don't think it's been as good as season one, but season one probably wasn't as great as people raced to make it out to be. Which I think is part of why people are down on this season, though the casting and story are also parts of that.

I'm still enjoying this anyway. The heat's getting turned up on everyone, and cracks are starting to show. I expect we're going to see a big meltdown or explosion with at least one (of not more) of these characters soon.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #436
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man, I've been loving it. Great 3 episodes so far. I thought Vince Vaughn has been awesome, and that fight in the last episode was great! Farrell and McAdams have unsurprisingly been excellent.

The Kitsch storyline is the only underwhelming one for me.

But yeah, I thought it has been a great season so far.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #437
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still very split. Lots of fun little performances by minor characters, nice scenes here and there, still like the overall style...

But still the same basic issues. Too many characters, too many plots. I think McAdams and Farrell have got the tone of the series down much better, and I feel if the series just concentrated on those two I think the whole series would be better. I think especially her character could really benefit from more screen time.

It wouldn't surprise me if making Vaughn and Kitsch main characters was a production decision and not a writing decision. Marriage problems, struggle to have kids, Kitsch struggling with his sexual identity, the problems of a veteran returning from a war... Vaughn with his rather mainstream mafia plotline... A lot of what they do seems to be tailored to broaden the appeal of the series, and none of it seems to connect that well with the rest of the series thematically. At least not for me.

Last edited by Itse; 07-07-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #438
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I admit it's been difficult to try and separate season 2 from season 1 as we knew full well heading into this season that they planned on being a totally different show from the get go.

I like it a lot so far. Season 1 in New Orleans gave us a unique view into how weird the bayou can really be being so sparsely populated in the swamp and the weird religions and such.

Season 2 is giving us that dirty and scummy look into southern California. With the weird cult like hippy religions and municipal corruption. Which may seem like an old hat to a lot of people and one of the main reasons why it may be boring.

I don't think Vaughn or Kitsch are going to enjoy the career boost Harrelson and McConahueyhay (whatever) did, but I do think McAdams and Farrell are going to get the most out of this. McAdams can use this to get into more serious roles instead of the old typecast rom com crap. I don't think Ive seen her in any other type of role. And Ferrell can use this to get back on top so to speak.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #439
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Vince Vaughn just doesn't have the skills to pull off True Detective dialogue. The opening scene, where he describes his father locking him away, was cringeworthy.

I like Vince doing his thing, but that was terrible casting.
I saw this elsewhere earlier today, but contrast Vaughn with D'Orinofo in Daredevil, and I think True Detective case the wrong Vince.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #440
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I feel bored watching this. I think this season is pretty bad. Its down to the level of CSI but more unnecessarily confusing.
And as some have said: too many people. I don't know why writers do this.
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote