Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 06:12 PM   #201
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
No idea. FanIn80 reported that there are 14 teams over the cap. So it only counts as cheating if they traded for someone at the deadline?
Maybe if you can figure out what exactly is going against the spirit of the rules then you’ll be able to solve this very difficult puzzle. There are only a few dozen posts explaining it already, so best of luck, you’ll need it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:14 PM   #202
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Everyone that uses LTIR is over the cap. Only a few manipulate their rosters to ensure that they can vastly exceed the cap with salaries on the ice post-season.
Who’s the arbiter of manipulation? You?

It was just so unfair. Nobody could have traded for Tomas Hertl except those pesky manipulative villains in Las Vegas.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:20 PM   #203
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Maybe if you can figure out what exactly is going against the spirit of the rules then you’ll be able to solve this very difficult puzzle. There are only a few dozen posts explaining it already, so best of luck, you’ll need it.
Aww. I’ll need some luck to understand the spirit of the rules? Clearly that’s an objective standard.

Meanwhile the Knights have rings and a banner. I wonder if the spirit of the rules will be the Vancouver or Edmonton argument if the Knights win. Especially if McDavid has the right of way, which I’ve been repeatedly told by Sportsnet is in the spirit of the rules.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:28 PM   #204
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Aww. I’ll need some luck to understand the spirit of the rules? Clearly that’s an objective standard.

Meanwhile the Knights have rings and a banner. I wonder if the spirit of the rules will be the Vancouver or Edmonton argument if the Knights win. Especially if McDavid has the right of way, which I’ve been repeatedly told by Sportsnet is in the spirit of the rules.
I don’t know what to tell you. I’ve volunteered in youth sports where 8 year olds understand what the “spirit” of rules are. If you’re not there yet, you’re not there, and it’s pretty clear there’s not a whole lot anyone can do for you since you don’t understand 40% of what’s being said, play dumb on the other 40%, and spend the last 20% mocking arguments you’re the first one to make.

This is a message board where we talk hockey. This should be significantly less difficult a topic to grasp than you’re making it out to be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 08:01 PM   #205
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t know what to tell you. I’ve volunteered in youth sports where 8 year olds understand what the “spirit” of rules are. If you’re not there yet, you’re not there, and it’s pretty clear there’s not a whole lot anyone can do for you since you don’t understand 40% of what’s being said, play dumb on the other 40%, and spend the last 20% mocking arguments you’re the first one to make.

This is a message board where we talk hockey. This should be significantly less difficult a topic to grasp than you’re making it out to be.
You don’t know what to tell me, then you tell me about 8 year olds.

We are talking about hockey, and winning at hockey. With millions of dollars on the line. If you want to implement the 8-year-old spirit of the game, have at it. Does that mean McDavid doesn’t get to dive anymore? Otherwise if he does, there’s not going to be an ice cream treat after the game? Who’s playing dumb here? Good luck trying to guess; you’ll need it.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:09 PM   #206
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

We are talking about hockey, and winning at hockey. With millions of dollars on the line. If you want to implement the 8-year-old spirit of the game, have at it. Does that mean McDavid doesn’t get to dive anymore? Otherwise if he does, there’s not going to be an ice cream treat after the game? Who’s playing dumb here? Good luck trying to guess; you’ll need it.
After this post? I don’t think you’re playing.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:18 PM   #207
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Crosby signed a long term illegal contract, such a “cheater”. The spirit of the game! Dont’cha know.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:22 PM   #208
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Keep going. You’re doing great, hun.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:39 PM   #209
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Keep going. You’re doing great, hun.
Bless your heart!
Old 03-13-2024, 10:07 PM   #210
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We are talking about hockey, and winning at hockey. With millions of dollars on the line. If you want to implement the 8-year-old spirit of the game, have at it.
Having money on the line doesn't excuse foul play. In fact, it makes it all the more important that the game be seen to be honest, and that the rules not be biased towards one participant over another. Time and time again, the league has intervened and made new rules to eliminate various kinds of unfair advantages. Most people don't watch competitive sports if they think the outcome is predetermined.

Just because something is comprehensible to an 8-year-old, doesn't mean it is beneath the dignity of an adult. If you think it is, you had better not watch hockey at all, because 8-year-olds are watching it, too.

Quote:
Does that mean McDavid doesn’t get to dive anymore? Otherwise if he does, there’s not going to be an ice cream treat after the game? Who’s playing dumb here? Good luck trying to guess; you’ll need it.
I'm going to be charitable and assume that you're the one playing dumb, because the alternative is that you're not actually playing. Everyone in this thread understands what we are talking about – except you.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:21 PM   #211
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Who even cares if it’s “clever” (it’s not) or whether it’s technically cheating or just abusing the rules?

Signing a player to a contract beyond when they’re likely to retire was also whatever happy go lucky thing we want to pretend this is, and they ended that. The end.
Where were your complaints about the kipper contract. The Flames really started that. Or is it only cheating if you don't like it?
Old 03-13-2024, 10:24 PM   #212
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

How good are these 8 year Olds on their understanding of the CBA?
Old 03-13-2024, 10:28 PM   #213
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I'm not sure which of these two things you are doing:

1. Implying that because some rules are complex, it is impossible for there to be other rules that are simple and can be understood by simple people.

2. Making a complete non sequitur.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:32 PM   #214
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

Just because something is comprehensible to an 8-year-old, doesn't mean it is beneath the dignity of an adult. If you think it is, you had better not watch hockey at all, because 8-year-olds are watching it, too.

I'm going to be charitable and assume that you're the one playing dumb, because the alternative is that you're not actually playing. Everyone in this thread understands what we are talking about – except you.
Does everyone in this thread understand what you're talking about? Probably, but I disagree with you and think butterfly is closer to correct. The spirit of the rules argument is kinda weak. There are rules and they are within them. More likely people are angry because they are jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
A yeah, a different kind of cheating for sure but still finding a way to cheat "within the rules"

Super clever alright. It'll be nice when they fix the CBA so teams can't legally cheat the salary cap with LTIR
Do you hear yourself... "legally cheat" ... oxymoron. Legally cheating is what those 8 year olds would cry if they were losing a game bad and accusing the winner of.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:34 PM   #215
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure which of these two things you are doing:

1. Implying that because some rules are complex, it is impossible for there to be other rules that are simple and can be understood by simple people.

2. Making a complete non sequitur.
I'm saying professional sports is a business and playing within the rules for your advantage is your job and there is no points for spirit. Don't be naive.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:40 PM   #216
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does everyone in this thread understand what you're talking about? Probably, but I disagree with you and think butterfly is closer to correct. The spirit of the rules argument is kinda weak. There are rules and they are within them. More likely people are angry because they are jealous.
You're making up a motive that you understand – the jealousy that an unsuccessful crook feels towards a successful one – to take the place of the real motive, which you obviously do not understand: the contempt that an honest person feels for a crook.

Quote:
I'm saying professional sports is a business and playing within the rules for your advantage is your job and there is no points for spirit. Don't be naive.
I'm saying that professional sports is a particular kind of business – show business. The game must not only be played by the rules, but the rules must be seen to be fair and evenly applied, or people will not enjoy the show. This goes double when the game is the occasion of large-scale gambling. Neither bettors nor bookmakers take it kindly when a competition is fixed behind their backs.

It isn't naive to remember what the game is actually for.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:47 PM   #217
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You're making up a motive that you understand – the jealousy that an unsuccessful crook feels towards a successful one – to take the place of the real motive, which you obviously do not understand: the contempt that an honest person feels for a crook.

I'm saying that professional sports is a particular kind of business – show business. The game must not only be played by the rules, but the rules must be seen to be fair and evenly applied, or people will not enjoy the show. This goes double when the game is the occasion of large-scale gambling. Neither bettors nor bookmakers take it kindly when a competition is fixed behind their backs.

It isn't naive to remember what the game is actually for.
And to both points. Until the rules are changed they are doing what you're saying... playing within the rules.. you're just upset about the rules, not the knights, you're just taking out on the knights. Jealousy comes in many forms. No crooks within the rules. Or should it be " legal crooks"
Old 03-13-2024, 10:53 PM   #218
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Where were your complaints about the kipper contract. The Flames really started that. Or is it only cheating if you don't like it?
Where were my complaints 17 years ago? I don’t know man, where were you 17 years ago?

We’re not even talking about backdiving contracts, that was already solved because… you guessed it… it was against the spirit of the rules.

Quote:
Terrible, probably. They’re 8. But they do have the ability to understand concepts like “why rules exist” and “why certain rules are created” and therefore understand the “spirit” of the rules, so it’s surprising that a few of you don’t.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 11:03 PM   #219
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Stone comes back for game one it will be pretty hard to defend Vegas here (if they play the Oilers I am all for it) Same guy, two years in a row with a recovery that matches up exactly with game one of the playoffs to keep them cap compliant.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:03 PM   #220
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And to both points. Until the rules are changed they are doing what you're saying... playing within the rules.. you're just upset about the rules, not the knights, you're just taking out on the knights. Jealousy comes in many forms. No crooks within the rules. Or should it be " legal crooks"
The purpose of the salary cap is to prevent a small number of rich teams from buying a competitive advantage, thereby pricing the numerous poorer teams out of the league. Acquiring players on LTIR, and then activating them once the cap is lifted, circumvents that purpose.

The purpose of LTIR is to allow teams to replace players who suffer major injuries during the season with equivalent players (if they can get them). Acquiring a player who is already on LTIR does not serve that purpose.

It's already against the rules for a team to stash a player overseas on their protected list, and then bring him back just in time for the playoffs. They used to call that the Ruotsalainen rule, after the Finnish player whom the Edmonton Oilers never brought over except for their playoff runs. Now, if you try to do that, you have to put the player on waivers before you can dress him. Acquiring a player on LTIR with the intention of activating him only in the post-season has the exact same effect. If the one kind of transaction is against the rules, they both should be.

The rules are not perfect, and unscrupulous operators will always find loopholes of one sort or another. The solution to this is to amend the rules, not to applaud the people who abuse them.

The league can't unilaterally change the LTIR rule, because an important part of that rule is written in the CBA. That doesn't mean that the rule should be allowed to stand as it is, or that abusing it in this way is right.