Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:
Default Online media player legality?

I'm having a hard time sifting through the Canadian Copyright Laws to find the answer to this.

Say CP started up a media player....where Bingo gave you the option of listening to music he hosted....would that be legal?

Whats the deal with having online media players on your own website?

I wouldn't be letting people download the music....just listen to it. And for some reason I thought that was legal.

No?

Oh, and if someone has a link to the actual law that allows or disallows it...that would be great.

I need a course on how to properly search Google.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'm having a hard time sifting through the Canadian Copyright Laws to find the answer to this.

Say CP started up a media player....where Bingo gave you the option of listening to music he hosted....would that be legal?

Whats the deal with having online media players on your own website?

I wouldn't be letting people download the music....just listen to it. And for some reason I thought that was legal.

No?

Oh, and if someone has a link to the actual law that allows or disallows it...that would be great.

I need a course on how to properly search Google.
It's grey because anything that you listen to is actually downloaded to your computer anyway, just a matter of whether or not you are aware of where it is being downloaded too. Online radio does have to pay royalties. But think of all the myspace pages with music on them. There's really nothing that can be done.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It's grey because anything that you listen to is actually downloaded to your computer anyway, just a matter of whether or not you are aware of where it is being downloaded too. Online radio does have to pay royalties. But think of all the myspace pages with music on them. There's really nothing that can be done.
I was thinking of MySpace too.....although I would imagine MySpace probably pays some sort of fee in order to allow their users to stream online music.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe media players on a website would be considered a public performance, so:
Quote:
in the case of a published sound recording the performer and the maker of the recording have a right to payment of "equitable remuneration" for its performance in public or its communication to the public by telecommunication;
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/c...protect-e.html

I know MySpace and Facebook have been called on issues like this. Some bands have made agreements to allow their performances to be played in the embedded players, other music has been released under the Creative Commons license. I'm not sure what other things have been put in place.

I get a lot of my copyright info from http://www.michaelgeist.ca/index.php

He discussed this in April of last year, and at that time is sounded like new fee structures were still up for debate.
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/1863/159/

Quote:
The net effect of these tariffs and licenses is that webcasting in Canada can get expensive, particularly for non-commercial and niche webcasters. By wisely focusing on a percentage of revenue model rather than the U.S. per-stream approach, the Canadian framework may enable webcasters to get off the ground, yet a streamlined system for streaming will be needed before Canada develops into a genuine Internet radio haven.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Thanks Bobblehead.