Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #2321
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a disaster the Cowboys are. It's a shame they are going to get into the playoffs as they don't deserve it at all.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #2322
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Silver lining for Jones is that Prescott's price keeps dropping after betting on himself earlier in the year. Elliott is making out like a bandit too.

Jones will go big game hunting for the next coach, and likely not make a change until the offseason now. They could still have the division lead after Sunday too, and have zero to lose in a WC game VS Sea or SF.
They will have the lead regardless...they have already beat the Eagles once and also have a much better conference record.

Philly will need to win out pretty much as one more game is against Dallas

Cowboys have the Rams, Eagles and Redskins left.

Philly has the Giants x 2, Cowboys, Redskins.

A race to mediocrity.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #2323
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a disgraceful season. When the whole is consistently much less than the sum of its parts, something has to be done.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #2324
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch the Cowboys get in to the playoffs and win 2 games.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #2325
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Watch the Cowboys get in to the playoffs and win 2 games.
Well there is talent on the roster and they have simply been underperforming. The defense in particular last night was horrific as they made the Bears offense look good. I have my doubts if they could make much noise in the playoffs as the other teams that make the playoffs in the NFC all look considerably better.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #2326
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

correct me if I'm wrong, but one of Eagles and Cowboys will have a home game in the playoffs while one of the 49ers and Seahawks will have to play on the road in the wild card round, correct?

that just feels wrong.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #2327
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am concerned about Drew Brees ability to not get sacked a bunch come this Sunday.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #2328
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
correct me if I'm wrong, but one of Eagles and Cowboys will have a home game in the playoffs while one of the 49ers and Seahawks will have to play on the road in the wild card round, correct?

that just feels wrong.
IIRC the Seahawks got the same benefit years back when it was the NFC West that was crap. Just how it goes.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #2329
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
IIRC the Seahawks got the same benefit years back when it was the NFC West that was crap. Just how it goes.
I think that was the year of the Lynch beast mode run and they upset the Saints too.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #2330
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:

that just feels wrong.
This situation happens nearly every year where a team with a better record is on the road in the playoffs.

Last year the Chargers were 12-4, had to play at 10-6 Baltimore, and than at 11-5 New England.

The 7-9 Seahawks did beat the defending Superbowl Champs 41-34 in 2011 as others have noted. Same with the 7-8-1 Panthers winning against the Cardinals who were an 11-5 team playing on the road in Carolina.

In 2009 Cardinals were a 9-7 Division winner who got two home games to get to the Superbowl because they played #5 seed Falcons in the first game, went on the road and played the Panthers and won and the #6 Eagles in the NFC Championship. Both Wild Card teams had better records.

The 2009 Chargers were an 8-8 team who beat the 11-5 Colts in a Wild Card game as the host.

So really why be up in arms now?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #2331
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what makes this year a bit unique is the 49ers and Seahawks could be playing Sunday night week 17 for the #1 seed while the Cowboys could have the division locked up if they beat the Eagles week 16. When we've had .500 or worse teams get in off the division they've usually had to at least win in week 17 instead of not playing their starters. The Cowboys could get a quasi-bye being able to rest guys in week 17 while the loser of that NFC West matchup will have come from a brutally physical game and are almost certainly getting a short week with a Saturday primetime game against the rested Cowboys.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 12-06-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #2332
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
So really why be up in arms now?
not up in arms at all. It's just more extreme this year, it could easily be a 13-3 team on the road and an 8-8 team playing at home. Can easily shrug it off and say "well that's just how it goes", but personally I wouldn't be sad if the division winners weren't just seeded from 1 to 4, no matter what.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #2333
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1202852637672198145

Last edited by jeffporfirio; 12-06-2019 at 10:21 AM.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #2334
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
not up in arms at all. It's just more extreme this year, it could easily be a 13-3 team on the road and an 8-8 team playing at home. Can easily shrug it off and say "well that's just how it goes", but personally I wouldn't be sad if the division winners weren't just seeded from 1 to 4, no matter what.
I have heard it discussed that Division winners still make the playoffs, but not necessarily be seeded as a home team. I had also heard talk of expanding to 14 playoff teams where essentially only the top seed would get a bye in round 1, which would alleviate some of the situations where a 10-6 team miss the playoffs while a 8-8 team get's in.

Than you get the scenario where really...if you are the 1 seed in the NFC, you can end up with the team with the second best record in the Conference in the Division round, while the second seed gets a theoretically easier matchup.

This really wasn't an issue when the League had 6 Divisions, but when they added the two extra Divisions they likely should have adjusted the playoff format and seeding to account for some of these oddities.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #2335
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I think what makes this year a bit unique is the 49ers and Seahawks could be playing Sunday night week 17 for the #1 seed while the Cowboys could have the division locked up if they beat the Eagles week 16. When we've had .500 or worse teams get in off the division they've usually had to at least win in week 17 instead of not playing their starters. The Cowboys could get a quasi-bye being able to rest guys in week 17 while the loser of that NFC West matchup will have come from a brutally physical game and are almost certainly getting a short week with a Saturday primetime game against the rested Cowboys.

It is almost guaranteed. Only way that SF Sea game doesn't matter to either team is if one team falls off the cliff the next few weeks and the other doesnt. If either team are within a game of each other, it's winner take the division.

If SF loses to New Orleans, then wins out, and Seattle wins the 3 games before the SF, and then and then SF beats Seattle, it would go to about the 6th or 7th tiebreaker.

Head to head the same, with a win each.
Division record the same.
Both would've lost to each other, as well as only both to NO and to BAL
So that means common opponents, as well as conference and non conference records would be the same
Strength of victory and strength of schedule would be same
7th tie breaker is combined ranking points for and against in the conference. Barring something unforeseen in the next 3 games, SF would have that tiebreaker, as Seattle is a +36 in point differential while SF is a +166, so SF is 1st in points for and in points against in the NFC, while Seattle is 3rd in points allowed.

So really, only way for Seattle to win division is to win that game unless the Niners lose 3 in a row and Seattle loses once or less before then.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:30 AM   #2336
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Is anybody actually scared of facing the NFC East winner in the wild card round? The Seahawks would have bounced the Cowboys last year with a sensible offensive game plan, and Russell Wilson is 3-0 against Doug Pederson in his career. If it's the Niners, that defense will eat Dak or Wentz alive.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #2337
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything being equal you'd always rather play a team at home than away, and in Dallas case especially for fear of the home cooking ref calls. Plus the last two times with Carolina and Seattle the 11-5 team lost to the 7-9/7-8-1 team. So on paper you'd say the Eagles and Cowboys have been dog#### all year so they shouldn't be feared, but they have enough talent that in a one game situation, especially at home, they are dangerous.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 12-08-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #2338
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

RIP Deandre Hopkins
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #2339
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Saints/Niners game is nuts so far
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #2340
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Insane start to this Niners-Saints game.